Atlantic FM sold to Global

Comments

• RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Is it because they can't receive network programmes?
    I assume it's as they're yet to make any schedule changes.

The chart show is just carried on IRN channels, as far as I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    I can receive Atlantic where I am staying in Somerset. I noticed it didn't broadcast Big Top 40 yesterday.

Is it because they can't receive network programmes?

Atlantic have never taken the chart with Rich and Squeaky. I imagine they soon will though when programmes come out of Exeter / London... so for anything alternative on a Sunday afternoon in Cornwall it'll be the BBC or Spotify!
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    You can always tell when a great station is about to go to the wall..... it's when you hear "This is the Heart of ......."

The end is nigh...

EDIT: Just checked and can confirm their playlist is now identical to Heart, albeit about 2 minutes behind at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT: Just checked and can confirm their playlist is now identical to Heart, albeit about 2 minutes behind at the moment.
    It's been like that ever since it was announced that Global had purchased the station, more or less.
  • FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same edits too as confirmed by the Atlantic FM 'now playing' feature. Where is the music coming from, complete with Heart's edits? Is it feeding from a Heart server somewhere?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Probably played out locally TBH
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess this transition is quite interesting in a way, as the other stations were already owned by Global, with generic websites that suddenly turned pink etc.

I guess the next step now is to drop the 'Atlantic' name from any on air branding?
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionLad wrote: »
    Same edits too as confirmed by the Atlantic FM 'now playing' feature. Where is the music coming from, complete with Heart's edits? Is it feeding from a Heart server somewhere?

Atlantic play off RCS like Heart London do, so Global will have simply bought the database from Leicester Square down on a big hard disk, then copied it onto the system at Atlantic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic play off RCS like Heart London do, so Global will have simply bought the database from Leicester Square down on a big hard disk, then copied it onto the system at Atlantic.

not sent over some network of some kind? Can't imagine someone driving down to St Agnes every time a new song hits the playlist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionLad wrote: »
    not sent over some network of some kind? Can't imagine someone driving down to St Agnes every time a new song hits the playlist?

When the initial change happened, it'll have been done by a physical solid-state disk being taken down to St Anges. The database would be far too large to send via the network.

What will happen with new tacks is that the card information for Selector and the WAV of audio will be sent over the network from Leicester Square where St Anges' RCS will pick it up and automatically import the audio and card information.

For the sites on Genesys, it's an even easier piece of piss - you create a folder that then pushes anything you put in it to the audio import directories at every site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the initial change happened, it'll have been done by a physical solid-state disk being taken down to St Anges.
    Couldn't that have come from Exeter though?
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the initial change happened, it'll have been done by a physical solid-state disk being taken down to St Anges. The database would be far too large to send via the network.

Really? I assumed it would fit on an 3 1/2" floppy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't that have come from Exeter though?

Unlikely as I imagine Exeter are on Genesys - St Agnes are on RCS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Really? I assumed it would fit on an 3 1/2" floppy :D

What is this? 1989?!

You'd struggle to get 10 seconds on a floppy...
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,810
    Forum Member
    Picked up same travel now. Haven't heard news yet.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    You'd get more like a minute and a half with 128kbps MP3 though.

On topic, it would be madness if they did both broadcast the Big Top 40 but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Here both Radio City 96.7 & Citytalk 105.9 broadcast it, perhaps only slightly useful if it's matchday on Radio City when they usually delay the chart or don't take it altogether.

Heart take it too so there's a lot of duplication as do Real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd get more like a minute and a half with 128kbps MP3 though.
    But not really broadcast quality...
  • Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    it would be madness if they did both broadcast the Big Top 40

No, it'd make complete sense. The entire Heart network takes it, so if a single station didn't it'd stop the show ever getting talked up, plus the promos would need to be split whereas now they can run across the entire network.

This is what you need to understand: Heart doesn't react to local stations; it does its thing and lets others react. They have a national strategy that's the same for Wrexham, Milton Keynes and Kent. Cornwall will follow it to the letter.

What you lose in local flexibility, you more than gain in planning and consistancy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit the nail on the head there. There's tons and tons of markets where non-Heart stations broadcast the Big Top 40. Here, Heart takes it - but so does Capital. So does Free. So does Touch. So does Oak.

A group strategy doesn't react to individual markets.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do radio stations use WAV rather than compressed MP3?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Yep. And then it's all processed to b*****y for your listening pleasure! :-)
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this? 1989?!

You'd struggle to get 10 seconds on a floppy...

http://pinkie.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133332603726.jpg
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the initial change happened, it'll have been done by a physical solid-state disk being taken down to St Agnes.

.....or sent by post of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was about as funny as the Costa Concordia disaster.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    But not really broadcast quality...

128kbps in AAC+ (HE AAC) isn't bad, the latest LAME codec for MP3 sounds very good even at 128kbps, still why are we even debating this, they're not using floppy discs, even if they shipped audio on USB flash drives, they could now send a whole ton through the post using say the lossless FLAC.

It's pointless from the listeners point of view to have 2 stations from the same transmitter taking the same networked chart show, it happens in Merseyside with City96.7 and CityTalk, but I would point to that as an example of all that's wrong with radio today, it shouldn't be something the regulator actually allows.

Perhaps Pirate might be the one to make the decision to drop the Big Top 40 once it's duplicated by Heart, but they might think why should we as we will lose out to the biggest show on the radio.

Locally Chester's Dee106.3 and Liverpool's Juice FM don't take it, what would be the point if they did.

Pirate seem to have quite an incredible amount of non-stop music, perhaps they could offer a spot for the floorfillers DJ, because they literally don't do anything on Saturday nights anyway!

http://www.piratefm.co.uk/schedule/