Channel 5 cuts LOADS out of the programme!

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
While watching, I noticed a few obviously missing segments such as missing intros.

But then I went online and watched the original programme (in order to see some of the intros that were cut down) and discovered there are absolutely LOADS of parts cut from the programme. Not just commercial aspects like references to the Beatles show, but loads of quite large segments have been cut out like long introductions and interviews with the contestants on couches. Basically everything with Ryan has been cut out.

The original programme looks like it’s way longer than the version we get! :mad::mad::mad:

Presumably the programme is edited down to fit a particular time slot? Does anyone know exactly how much time has been cut out of each episode?

This totally sucks. You strip away an intro here, a dramatic pause there, and even though it still contains all the key elements, you end up with a diminished sense of drama and occasion and you can almost feel you are watching highlights from a previous episode rather than a “live” show! I have always loved to absorb every last little detail of the programme and can never get enough Idol, so to find out that we are seeing a cut-down version is a little disappointing.

This must be the fault of Channel 5 rather than FreemantleMedia, because ITV2 always used to show all the stuff that is missing this year, like interviews on the sofas and stuff.

Comments

• LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This explains why the pace of the show feels all "wrong".

I used to get the show from Usenet (because I could not wait a few hours to see it). Will probably go back to doing that.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem quite noticeable and that's even to me who fast forwards everything between Nicki's critique until the next performance starts.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps there should be two versions - one complete and one with just the performances and panel comments?

I record and skip through everything that isn't performance related. We have different views of what we want to see.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Perhaps there should be two versions - one complete and one with just the performances and panel comments?

I record and skip through everything that isn't performance related. We have different views of what we want to see.

Sensible idea.

I also record and FF the dull bits. I watch what I want.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the show being dragged put with interviews, VTs and all that nonsense. I just want performances and critique.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they need to cut stuff down they should edit out the first three quarters of Mariah's critiques. I'm a fan but she takes forever to get to the boody point!
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they need to cut stuff down they should edit out the first three quarters of Mariah's critiques. I'm a fan but she takes forever to get to the boody point!

It's gotta be hard going last every time and think up something to say that hasn't been said.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    It's gotta be hard going last every time and think up something to say that hasn't been said.

Yeah why don't they switch the order of who gives their critique around so she isn't always last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Yeah why don't they switch the order of who gives their critique around so she isn't always last.

I just assumed it's done to give them time to prepare the next act?They can just let her waffle until they're ready.

Okay, so she's a bit of a grand dame diva, but i sort of like Mariah. Good manners and kindness counts for something in my book.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baroquepop wrote: »
    I just assumed it's done to give them time to prepare the next act?They can just let her waffle until they're ready.

Okay, so she's a bit of a grand dame diva, but i sort of like Mariah. Good manners and kindness counts for something in my book.

Yeah weirdly after what I said about changing the order they go and do just that this week! lol. And Mariah seemed to be giving her own opinions and not reading off a card as it has appeared up until now (with the exception of the "stellar" comment to Angie).

I found the Nicki "sizzle down sir" comment disrespectful and it just shows how rude she is. She did sort of redeem herself with her compliments to Mariah later on and she told Jimmy off for slating Angie.