The Peter Davison Era

Comments

• meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Really stuck on this one. Each season has its ups and downs.
    Of season 19 I like the freshness of it, and also the Tardis team of Doc/Tegan/Nyssa/Adric.
    In season 20 the stories are more of a mess, but I do love that whole White and Black guardian story arc.
    Season 21 has some good stories, apart from Frontios, one of my most disliked stories of all time. Plus I'm not exactly bowled over by Caves of Androzani.

Season 20 just clinched it, thanks to great stories such as Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, and the cutesy King's Demons.
    I initially thought season 19 was the strongest, but none of the major stories excite me very much, and I can't stand Four To Doomsday. I thought I used to love The Visitation, but I watched it recently and got majorly bored. :o Black Orchid and Earthshock are the main draw.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably just grew close enough to share a room, like sisters, that and the tardis is so big that they most likely worried they'd get lost again.

I like to imagine that Tegan and Nyssa's bedtime activities were of a nature unsuited to sisters ;)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit though that the 'Jettissoning' (sp?) of various parts of the Tardis worried me at times. I kept thinking "Is there gonna be any of it left?"
    I also wondered -if it was so big - why did Tegan and Nyssa have to share a bedroom?

Probably to do with the fact that the pair of them were able to interact easier and discus things better if they shared the same room. As both of them had lost someone close thanks to The Master, it's not beyond the realms of belief that a strong bond had formed between them. Nyass was the only one out of the four she didn't have that many arguments with.

I like to imagine that Tegan and Nyssa's bedtime activities were of a nature unsuited to sisters ;)

:eek::eek::eek:

Do you think Adric joined in? ;)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    Do you think Adric joined in? ;)
    Thought I'd wandered onto the wrong thread. It'll not be long before we discussing Peri's main assets. ;)
    Black Orchid is fairly unique in that there is just a mystery with no real "enemy" or indeed alien. It just is a lovely piece of breezy television.
    The Awakening another two-part story was I believe meant to be a four-parter. I remember it being said there would have been a gradual focus on the paranoia and build-up of the war games.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some ways Black Orchid is probably the Davison story that would work best in the post 2005 series from a scripting point of view, because it would work well within the current 45 minute format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Thought I'd wandered onto the wrong thread. It'll not be long before we discussing Peri's main assets. ;)
    Black Orchid is fairly unique in that there is just a mystery with no real "enemy" or indeed alien. It just is a lovely piece of breezy television.
    The Awakening another two-part story was I believe meant to be a four-parter. I remember it being said there would have been a gradual focus on the paranoia and build-up of the war games.

That's a couple of things we can discuss next thread. ;)
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    In some ways Black Orchid is probably the Davison story that would work best in the post 2005 series from a scripting point of view, because it would work well within the current 45 minute format.

In answer to both posts, I think all three 2-parters were good in their own way. Black Orchid is certainly the best out of the lot of them for the many reasons stated above. What I also liked about this and Davison's Doctor as a whole, was the way his curiosity got him into trouble again. I think this aspect of The Doctor's character was explored more during this Era than all the others and seems to have been neglected a lot in recent Series. :rolleyes:

As for the other 2-parters. The King's Demons was okay, I'm not sure if I can remember if I knew about The Master's latest disguise in that one, but it's way obvious in hindsight. The only shame about it was the first of many stories where Turlough seems to get locked up. The character was not used very well once the Black Guardian Trilogy was finished.

The Awakening I liked too, very reminiscent of The Daemons and I think Will Chandler would have made a great. companion. The Malus was certainly a different adversary to what had been seen in the show, but Turlough got locked up again. Maybe it was 2-parter tradition with the character. :rolleyes:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I also liked about this and Davison's Doctor as a whole, was the way his curiosity got him into trouble again. I think this aspect of The Doctor's character was explored more during this Era than all the others and seems to have been neglected a lot in recent Series.

"Curiosity's always been my downfall." ;)
  • Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petey D! My fave!

Anyway: Kinda, Visitation, Black Orchid and Earthshock - a great run of stories.

19 wins for me!
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, a great call back to that console punch is when Adric tries it in The Visitation...and it works!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the other 2-parters. The King's Demons was okay, I'm not sure if I can remember if I knew about The Master's latest disguise in that one, but it's way obvious in hindsight. The only shame about it was the first of many stories where Turlough seems to get locked up. The character was not used very well once the Black Guardian Trilogy was finished.

I just thought The King's Demons seemed a bit dull. They even have the Doctor point out that trying to stop Magna Carta being signed is pretty small beer for the Master, because the plot is so "who cares?"

I did like King John's song though. I haven't heard it since this was first shown and I can still remember it.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    Season 20 is a mixed bag for me, but I liked the Black Guardian Trilogy theme/arc. Mawdryn Undead I like, and the concept of a bunch of scientists getting together to discover the secret of regeneration is an interesting one. The Brig is in it of course and there is the dilemma for the Doctor of giving up his regenerations.
    Terminus is passable for me, Tegan and Turlough are sidelined in this but Nyssa and The Doctor keep this watchable. It's just not that interesting or entertaining a story.
    Enlightenment is my favoured story of the three. Keith Barron's character is superb, has some good end of episode reveal's/cliifhanger's. The idea of the Eternals and the Enlightenment conclusion of the Black/White Guardian theme at the end make this a very good Davison serial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just thought The King's Demons seemed a bit dull. They even have the Doctor point out that trying to stop Magna Carta being signed is pretty small beer for the Master, because the plot is so "who cares?"

I did like King John's song though. I haven't heard it since this was first shown and I can still remember it.

I always like The King's Demons. It wasn't supposed to be the last story of Season 20 due to the aborted Dalek Story but I think after all the trauma's of The Black Guardian Trilogy, it was quite refreshing.

I do agree that by The Master's standards, it wasn't exactly up there in his top schemes in the Series, it was more like the sort of thing The Meddling Monk would have done.

However, as with all three 2-parters, I love the historical aspect of it and I loved the mind battle between The Doctor and The Master at the end! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 19 by a long way.Kinda through to Earthshock are great.

Season 20 is a yawnfest.

Season 21 is a case of the good, the bad and the ugly (Cold Blood has nothing on Warriors:rolleyes:). Resurrection was great at the time, although does not stand up to later viewings. Snakedance is the best IMO.

Peter was/is a great actor and deserved so much better IMO. Thankfully he has been given the chance to show his skills more so with BF.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I always like The King's Demons. It wasn't supposed to be the last story of Season 20 due to the aborted Dalek Story

Really Davey? You know, I thought I was a massive DW fan, but then I come on here and it shows that, regardless of longevity, I know jack!

What was the aborted story, was there a script, was it in pre production???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Really Davey? You know, I thought I was a massive DW fan, but then I come on here and it shows that, regardless of longevity, I know jack!

What was the aborted story, was there a script, was it in pre production???

The planned Dalek story to close Season 20 was aborted due to Industrial Action at the BBC. It was then moved to Season 21 and became Ressurrection Of The Daleks. :)
    Forum Member
    The planned Dalek story to close Season 20 was aborted due to Industrial Action at the BBC. It was then moved to Season 21 and became Ressurrection Of The Daleks. :)

Oh, it was that simple:o
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Absolutely loved 19, so much anticipation after a long 18 month break. Earthshock was my favourite for this season by a mile with Visitation coming in second. I will never ever forget that school playground morning buzz after the Cybermen shocker...it has never been bettered imo. I agree with you Mutts that Time Flight was the runt of the season, not completely useless but far from good.

Re Black Orchid, I loved it! It was one of those stories I could get on a C60 cassette set up recording in front of the telly while telling my little bro to shut the f*ck up, just for 25 minutes. As with the Kings Demons and the Awakening, I listened to it until it wore out!

I did this too! Well not the swearing but the taping. Had the Visitation, Earthshock and Time Flight on tape. Remember the instrumental music ( Dudley Simpson?) too well too. Those were the days(!) when we had 25 minute episodes with cliffhangers :) and my family couldnt afford a video recorder for another year or so
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 19 for me too! Davison was one of my favourite 's (along with the rest! :rolleyes:)

The whole Tegan, Nyssa and Adric thing to me was a good team! They all squabbled together! (Bit like the old days with Ian, Barbara and susan)
    I liked season 20 too - when Turlough was introduced. I think that Mawdryn Undead was brilliant!
    I liked season 21 as well! Oh heck, let's face it - I liked ALL THREE series of PD!! Apart from - Warriors of the Deep, and.....wait for it - Caves of Androzani!!
    I personally did not like that last story. It was a bit 'meh' to me - but each to their own. I quite liked Black Orchid - but a lot of people hated it , fair enough.
    If we all liked the same thing - how boring it would be on here:)
    I also liked the fact that the Tardis was featured a lot in Davison's era....and we saw their living quarters etc. It was a cosy atmosphere in those episodes, and you felt that the Tardis was their home. It wasn't just a time machine to get out of tricky storylines :rolleyes:

I miss seeing bits of the Tardis nowadays. Part of the joy of the Davison era was getting glimpses of the different rooms the Tardis had. I miss roundels ( sighes)
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 19 is top for me despite the sheer horror that is Black Orchid.

Season 20 has its great moments (Snakedance, Enlightenment) but the rest aren't great.

Season 21 is a bit of a transitional series - writing out Tegan, introducing Peri and getting ready for the regeneration so it doesn't quite take off for me even if some of the stories (Frontios, Awakening, Caves) were good.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Is Black Orchid rather poor? I remember quite enjoying it. Doctor pretty cool in it, in that modest fifth Doctor way. A brief respite from monsters, spaceships etc. Haven't seen it recently though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people do enjoy it so I wouldn't be surprised!

Basically I agree with Davison in that it feels more like a rejected Miss Marple script the writer tried (not very hard) to turn into a Who story. The plot is silly, the dialogue is dreadful and even the very good guest actors struggle to do anything with their parts.

It also has something that really annoys me the few times it happens in Who - when the Tardis is wheeled out to prove the Doctor's innocence, though as is pointed out it doesn't so the whole reveal is pountless anyway. It takes away from the magic of the Tardis when people wander in and out of it with barely a second glance.

The whole, lovely break, nice atmosphere stuff doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Most people do enjoy it so I wouldn't be surprised!

Basically I agree with Davison in that it feels more like a rejected Miss Marple script the writer tried (not very hard) to turn into a Who story. The plot is silly, the dialogue is dreadful and even the very good guest actors struggle to do anything with their parts.

It also has something that really annoys me the few times it happens in Who - when the Tardis is wheeled out to prove the Doctor's innocence, though as is pointed out it doesn't so the whole reveal is pountless anyway. It takes away from the magic of the Tardis when people wander in and out of it with barely a second glance.

The whole, lovely break, nice atmosphere stuff doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

That isn't strictly true, I think Sergeant Markham and the other officer('Strike me pink!') are quite surprised on entering the TARDIS. I do agree that Sir Robert perhaps does take it a bit in his stride and accepts the TARDIS a bit too readily for someone from the 1920's.

Personally speaking, I love Black Orchid. As an Agatha Christie Fan, I love watching all that 1920's stuff and so this story appeals to me very much. I also like that 'Sunday afternoon' feel to it, with the game of Cricket, tea and scones etc!

JNT made many wrong decisions in his time as producer but one of the things he did do right was to try and bring back some of the original aspects from Hartnell's time in Series 19. As already discussed this included the three companion set up, The Doctor's insatiable curisoity, the TARDIS going wrong every time The Doctor tried to get Tegan home, and in Black Orchid's case, a return to the pure historicals from the early days.

I was never one for historicals as a whole but Black Orchid works as it's only two episodes and is a brilliant murder mystery. I think it suited the Fifth Doctor's love of cricket perfectly and gave Sarah Sutton a chance to shine in her dual role. I even loved Tegan trying to do the Charleston!

I think it's placing in Season 19 was done well.The Visitation and Earthshock, though styled very differently, do have the whole similar Monster-trying-to-destroy Humanity thing going on and I think Black Orchid is the story that breaks them up nicely and gives a bit of variation to this Season. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes some of them do react slightly but then they just carry on as if nothing unusual has happened and it's not as if they need that section as they all get called back to the house anyway. It's the Davison era where the use of the Tardis as a spaceship for all and sundry really kicks in and to me this is part of that annoying trend.

I like Agatha Christie as well but as limited a writer as she was she usually had great plots and some interesting characters, this has neither. The Hickson Marple's were made around the same time and are vastly superior to this in every way. I'd rather watch them for a Christie fix.

I don't really count Black Orchid as a historical, it shares more in common with other 80's stories like the Visitation or Awakening in terms of atmosphere and approach than it does with the 60's historicals.
    Forum Member
    I did this too! Well not the swearing but the taping. Had the Visitation, Earthshock and Time Flight on tape. Remember the instrumental music ( Dudley Simpson?) too well too. Those were the days(!) when we had 25 minute episodes with cliffhangers :) and my family couldnt afford a video recorder for another year or so

I didn't really swear:obut my little brother would purposefull try and sabotage any recording I was making. I got Black Orchid, The Kings Demons and The Awakening. I tried to record a four parter but could guarantee that my mum would want to watch the other side or my brother would sabotage it.

Likewise re a VCR, we couldn't afford one and when people on my estate did get one it got nicked soon after acquisition.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Is Black Orchid rather poor? I remember quite enjoying it. Doctor pretty cool in it, in that modest fifth Doctor way. A brief respite from monsters, spaceships etc. Haven't seen it recently though.

I thought it was a great story