Recommend me a Solar Charger for my iPhone

wenchwench Posts: 8,928
Forum Member
So many to choose from and I haven't got a scooby as to which is best.

Can someone please recommend me a solar powered charger for my iphone 3GS, I'm wanting one to take to a festival.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Ive used plenty of solar chargers, and the best one i had/have was a powermonkey explore.
    However these were good for old feature phones, when it comes to smartphones most/all of the ones that i have tried just havent been up to the job.

What has worked, and is st6ill in regular use is a powerpack, i currently use an IMP1000 amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-IMP1000-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B004SHJCVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337810477&sr=8-2
    and that beats any solar charger when camping, it kept my smartphone alive for 5 days without power access.

The plus points are:
    you dont need to leave it out in the sun where its visable, and may get nicked/damaged

you can charge your phone/device up on it overnight

cheaper to use, especialy when comparinig cost per amount of charges you get.

Negatives, it needs to be charged form the mains before use, once its flat and if your away from power for a long time you need to plug it in to a mains outlet to charge - the work around is to take a charger with you and plug it in whenever you get chance
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to spend on a quality charger...and need sunshine. Your better off with a battery powered charger to be honest.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if it goes where the sun don't shine?

As said buy a USB battery pack
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I got something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solio-Universal-Solar-Charger-Black/dp/B000IELIK4

This is a old model and prices do vary quite a bit. It's a solar charger but also a battery pack you can charge up so you can charge it via USB at home and top it up with the sun whilst you're out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Solar chargers seem not very stable. I suggest you buy an external battery as an alternative.