Awake

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
Forum Member
That's was one of the best first episodes of any new show. What an amazing actor Jason Isaacs is, anyone else see it?
Can't wait for next weeks epsiode, along with homeland and touch at last some good new shows.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Yeah, watched it last night, thought it was great. I still found it somewhat annoying that they have to tack on the cliched "cop procedural" angle onto the show (how many more cop shows can they possibly make...?), but it was interesting enough in it's own right. I'll definitely be back next week, let's just hope that the US ratings weren't abysmal...it was on NBC afterall...
  • sugapunksugapunk Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    let's just hope that the US ratings weren't abysmal...it was on NBC afterall...

They were unfortunately, with a 1.9 (18-49).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sugapunk wrote: »
    They were unfortunately, with a 1.9 (18-49).

I wouldn't call them abysmal (for NBC, obviously would be for CBS, ABC or Fox) but it's worrying. If it stays stable, great. If not, it's done.

Such a shame. It's a brilliant show!
  • ddarkoddarko Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    chrissy101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call them abysmal (for NBC, obviously would be for CBS, ABC or Fox) but it's worrying. If it stays stable, great. If not, it's done.

It was pretty poor even on NBC and it likely won't last unless the audience increases. First, the other two big US networks ABC and CBS showed repeats at that time so Awake faced less competition to begin with. Its ratings was much better than the first episode of series the Firm (1.9 v 1.4) but only 0.1 better than the premiere of the US remake of Prime Suspect (both the Firm and Prime Suspect aired at the same day and time as Awake). NBC has canceled the Firm and Prime Suspect already so even it has its limits. Unfortunately, Awake's ratings will almost certainly fall as the other networks air new episodes and its middling premiere ratings don't give it much buffer to withstand a drop. We shall see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great pilot. Actually the best I've seen in ages. Hope the rest of the show lives up to it.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if a British channel has bought it yet? (I mean a free channel)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a British channel has bought it yet? (I mean a free channel)

Nobody has brought it yet, but I can't see it working on a free to air channel, it doesn't seem to fit any of their other programmes. IMO, 'Watch' or Sky1 would be an ideal place for this.
  • vincyboivincyboi Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Nobody has brought it yet, but I can't see it working on a free to air channel, it doesn't seem to fit any of their other programmes. IMO, 'Watch' or Sky1 would be an ideal place for this.

I would say more Sky 1/Atlantic or FX, but hopefully it gets picked up soon.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    With Mr. Isaacs in the lead, I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up on the BBC or Channel 4 (or even ITV). If it were on AMC or Showtime I'm sure it would already have been snapped up, but I guess the risk of cancellation is the reason that hasn't happened.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It barely held my attention, as it seemed rather settled, as if nothing was going to change. I certainly felt the there wasn't enough questioning of the realities beyond superficial issues relating to the main characters emotional well being. It's clear the show (as i feared) would focus heavily on the drama of the main character's struggle to choose between his wife or child and quite frankly, i don't care who he chooses. I guess there just isn't much for me to question or be intrigued by when watching it.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    ... I guess there just isn't much for me to question or be intrigued by when watching it.

did you watch the preview/teaser for the next episode ? cos
    ..... darn it. :rolleyes:

As for the American Constitution thing, though she put it up as "proof that she is real" I could see a couple of "ah wait, but maybe"s, but it was interesting he didn't bring that up with his male shrink... guess that fits into the "he doesn't want to know which is not real" thing.

As for the "how could this whole series be resolved", and thinking of the american remake of that 'time travel cop show with that guy from Wanted, not wait, not from Wanted, from somewhere else, but who only stayed for 2 seasons and so the writer rebranded the show and brought in that gal from that lesbian show which wasn't FingerSmith".... anyway, iirc all thru the USremake, in each ep, something would happen/appear to help the hero build up a picture of the overall mystery of him being "sent back in time", so methinks this Awake show will have something similar and end with, well I'm not saying but methinks this storyarc is one of those "there can only be one ending".

Anway, I'm in it for the long hawl(?) based on the lead actor who he is, though I would be v.surprised if it made it to 2 seasons (not cancelled for being bad, but only needing 1 season to fully tell its story)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Brilliant pilot, also good to see Dylan Minnette again, He's adorable but I kind of always see him as David (Lost fans will know what I mean :P) It doesn't help that again he's he son on the protagonist. But a brilliant young actor regardless.

I found myself already being drawn to one reality, like preferring it. (Where Rex is alive and Hannah is not). It's a shame about the ratings, I hate how no one watches the good shows :'( It will be interesting to see where it goes. I hope it doesn't end cliche, like he's in a coma or something. He might even wake up and both of them have died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ if we accept that both realities can't both exist at the same time, does this mean that neither one is real and thus (1) he's dead or (2) he's in a coma with them/one of them/none of them by his bedside waiting for him to reawaken ? Hmmm, but going by the trailer to next week - spoilerised cos for some shows I avoid nextweeks trailer
    the old ER doc lady seemed to suggest that the accident wasn't an accident, but if both realities are fake then this 'conspiracy is also fake' and just his mind trying to do something that the mind does in these types of shows. But if there IS a real conspiracy, and he's finding out about it in one of the realities then wouldn't this prove THAT one is the real reality and thus the other one is NOT. Methinks this series is going to be one of those "the arc has me intreged, I'll stick with it for the answer, then defn re-watch every ep just to see if that answer fits with everything that went before" series.

btw: didn't think of doing this during my first watch but are there any scenes without the main guy in them ? and (if we accept that one of the realities is REAL) then could these be viewed as taking place in the REAL reality.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a touch of 'Life on Mars' here - minus the music and the Quattro.
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the pilot so will continue to watch - the one thing that bothered me (I realise, like with most things, I should probably just suspend believe as the whole concept is basically reliant on the viewers doing so!) was whether he is living every day twice or just every other day. In terms of the date I mean, so he lives the 3rd of March with his wife and then the 3rd of March with his son, rather than the 2nd of March with his wife and then the 3rd of March with his son? I realise the days are in no way similar though, in terms of the cases he's working on, but it seems odd for him not to question it, because he's either living everyday twice or if living every other day, then what happens to the days in between for his wife and son - which in turn depends on which of them, if either, is alive?! I think maybe I'm just over-thinking it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I wondered about the date thing, and I think it's safe to say that he is living every day twice. Having him do things every other day would lead to many-many scenes of people going "where the f were you yesterday".

Something he could do: after working out which reality gets the day first (RealityA) -> at the end of the day check the news for something major that happened, then when he awakens in the other reality (RealityB), tell the shrink such-n-such will happen today. Then if that MAJOR thing DOES happen (a thing of which he has no control over, like a Tsunami), then either:
    (1) RealityA is real and RealityB is just his mind copying stuff from RealityA
    or (2) both realities are fake
    But if that MAJOR thing DOESN'T happen then.... well I'm not quite sure what that would prove... darnit.

One clever thing the makers have done is since he's all "I don't want to find out which one is real" (so he believes one IS real), since that, that means he ain't gonna be testing either reality, ain't gonna be looking for proof of which one is 'right' and thus that should keep any glaring definitive proofs off of our screens for the forseeable future. <- that made sense, right ?!
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen any of it yet, but from what I've read and heard I don't think this is the kind of show that you're supposed to analyse and decipher like LOST.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it doesn't end cliche, like he's in a coma or something. He might even wake up and both of them have died.
    Nah, he's the one that died in the crash, and the trick is he has to let both of them go.

I really enjoyed this first episode. Like others have said, Jason Isaacs did a terrific job, and the writing was pretty solid, except for the heavy-handed scene where the already slightly annoying son breaks down after the tennis match, which given how easily he brushed it off might just have been a ploy to get a hug from the hot tennis coach.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I think this is going to go head to head with Touch on Fox from the 22nd March.
  • highnalhighnal Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ddarko wrote: »
    It was pretty poor even on NBC and it likely won't last unless the audience increases. First, the other two big US networks ABC and CBS showed repeats at that time so Awake faced less competition to begin with. Its ratings was much better than the first episode of series the Firm (1.9 v 1.4) but only 0.1 better than the premiere of the US remake of Prime Suspect (both the Firm and Prime Suspect aired at the same day and time as Awake). NBC has canceled the Firm and Prime Suspect already so even it has its limits. Unfortunately, Awake's ratings will almost certainly fall as the other networks air new episodes and its middling premiere ratings don't give it much buffer to withstand a drop. We shall see.

I'm thinking (hoping) the fact that NBC released the pilot online two weeks ago dropped viewing figures by a bit as many people may have already seen it. I reckon next week's 2nd episode will be a much more telling figure since it'll be a completely new episode for everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »
    I think this is going to go head to head with Touch on Fox from the 22nd March.

Touch will be on Fox at 9pm, Awake is on NBC at 10pm. They wont clash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the pilot again, to make sure I've got the hang of it. Is this it?
    [b]Awake	          Reality A		Reality B[/b]
    		Car crash		Car crash
    		Rex (son) died		Rex survived
    		Hannah (wife) survived	Hannah died
    Psychiatrist	Dr John Lee		Dr Judith Evans
    Partner		Detective Vega		Isaiah "Bird" Freeman
    		(Bird is ex-partner)	(Vega is still in uniform)
    Case		2 Cab drivers shot	Couple stabbed in their kitchen; daughter abducted
    Wrist band	Red			Green
    611 Waverley	Address of murder  	Is a parking lot number relevant to the case

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Just watched the pilot again, to make sure I've got the hang of it. Is this it?
    [b]Awake	          Reality A		Reality B[/b]
    		Car crash		Car crash
    		Rex (son) died		Rex survived
    		Hannah (wife) survived	Hannah died
    Psychiatrist	Dr John Lee		Dr Judith Evans
    Partner		Detective Vega		Isaiah "Bird" Freeman
    		(Bird is ex-partner)	(Vega is still in uniform)
    Case		2 Cab drivers shot	Couple stabbed in their kitchen; daughter abducted
    Wrist band	Red			Green
    611 Waverley	Address of murder  	Is a parking lot number relevant to the case

Yes, that is right. But instead of "Reality A" and Reality B" I keep it all straight by thinking "Red Reality" and "Green Reality."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Didn't know who Jason Isaacs was, but I recognized him and thought he was in this roll. But when I looked him up I just couldn't believe he played Lucius in the Harry Potter film series. I still can't believe how I didn't recognize him haha
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good second episode as well, but the ratings dropped to very near cancellation level.