Google Nexus 7 with automatically installed Android 4.2 crapping up iPlayer

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
My brother who knows not a lot about computers etc bought himself a Google Nexus 7, turned it on and was immediately upset that iPlayer and other TV apps won't work. This suprised me as a colleague bought one a month or two ago and I remember playing iPlayer on it. But then that was with 4.1. So when I got to work I borrowed his Nexus and found it, too, had installed 4.2 by default and now his, too, can't get iPlayer etc.
Now I'm sure this will all be sorted out in the next few weeks, but you would have thought Google would have held back on releasing 4.2 until they knew it was as compatible with everything as 4.1 was. But apparently not.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Have you tried to update the errant programmes?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that one of the main points of the Nexus devices is that they get updates straight away.

The problem stems from the way Google release Android. They do not provide developers with early access to new platform versions, meaning developers are always on the back foot when a new Android version comes out.

Historically this wasn't a huge issue due to the delays in new Android versions getting onto OEM devices, so developers could use that systemic distribution delay to get their apps ready, but with the Nexus devices now being pushed as consumer products, and updates available immediately, it is creating a bigger problem with app compatibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Was just about to make my purchase of the Nexus 7 but I'm concerned that I won't be able to use BBC iPlayer or the newish BBC Radio app by the sounds of it.
    I assume these 'bugs' will be fixed in 4.2 but could anyone give any indication as to how long this should take? Am I looking at days, weeks or months?
    Many thanks.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an issue with Android its self, it's the apps not being certified by their developers to run on 4.2, or in specific hardware & software combinations.

As others have pointed out on other threads, some apps do actually seem to run fine if you sideload them, but that means finding and downloading them from untrusted sources.

Also, just to point out, the iPlayer Radio app doesn't exist on Android yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thanks Roush - so it's down to the bods at the BBC to sort things out.
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a Nexus 7 and it's running Jellybean 4.2

Following the instructions on this link got iPlayer working for me:

http://www.nkonecny.com/blog/2012/07/19/adding-flash-to-nexus-7/

Note you have to use Firefox beta to go to the iPlayer website to play video. The dedicated iPlayer app still doesn't work. All the video on the BBC site works fine, but you need to use Firefox Beta, not normal Firefox. Also enable 'Desktop Website Version' in the Firefox settings. (contrary to what the message box that pop up says). Also you will have to tap on each video (where it says tap to start) to start them playing - I think you can change that in the Firefox plugin settings though.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My BBC iPlayer app works fine on 4.2. I had it installed before I updated, but it still works.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Except that one of the main points of the Nexus devices is that they get updates straight away.

The problem stems from the way Google release Android. They do not provide developers with early access to new platform versions, meaning developers are always on the back foot when a new Android version comes out.

Historically this wasn't a huge issue due to the delays in new Android versions getting onto OEM devices, so developers could use that systemic distribution delay to get their apps ready, but with the Nexus devices now being pushed as consumer. products, and updates available immediately, it is creating a bigger problem with app compatibility.

True, but then the BBC haven't been fast at updates either. It took then around four months to finally release an app for Jelly Bean. Now it can't be installed for 4.2 users. I read that there's also problems on the download part of the desktop version due to an Adobe Air update. For a huge company they must have a small development team.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,930
    Forum Member
    I bought my new 32GB Nexus 7 beginning of November, about a week before 4.2 was released, and downloaded the iplayer and bbc media app straight away..i.e onto 4.1. I have since updated to 4.2 and the iplayer app is still working for me so far.

So, I'm just wondering if the new 7's they are selling now have 4.2 out of the box or if they are still coming with a 4.1 version? If it's the latter and you can hold off updating until you've downloaded iplayer and bbc media apps on 4.1; they should still work when you update to 4.2.

I'll be honest, I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this will help anybody or make any difference, but just thought I'd mention it along the way.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    b1ackb1rd wrote: »
    Have you tried to update the errant programmes?

I did on his behalf and got the message BBC Media/iPlayer are not compatible with your device. But they were on 4.1 because I tried out iPlayer on my colleagues Nexus. Once it had updated itself to 4.2, it was the same story. I'm sure Google and whoever else is involved will sort this out over the coming months, but, as I said, the sorting out should have been done before, not after, releasing the update.
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    I just got a Nexus 7 and it's running Jellybean 4.2

Following the instructions on this link got iPlayer working for me:

http://www.nkonecny.com/blog/2012/07/19/adding-flash-to-nexus-7/

Note you have to use Firefox beta to go to the iPlayer website to play video. The dedicated iPlayer app still doesn't work. All the video on the BBC site works fine, but you need to use Firefox Beta, not normal Firefox. Also enable 'Desktop Website Version' in the Firefox settings. (contrary to what the message box that pop up says). Also you will have to tap on each video (where it says tap to start) to start them playing - I think you can change that in the Firefox plugin settings though.

...which is all fine and dandy, but you shouldn't have to tie yourself into knots like that.
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    My BBC iPlayer app works fine on 4.2. I had it installed before I updated, but it still works.

Well, that's odd. Perhaps because it was installed before the update.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got nothing really to do with Google, it's up to the BBC and other app providers to define what versions the app is compatible with.

We have the same problem here - an app that was written for us by another company currently shows as incompatible on 4.2, they're doing a new .apk for us with the correct info.
  • tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »

Lucky you, could you tell us the winning lottery numbers for Saturday?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Well, that's odd. Perhaps because it was installed before the update.

pretty much. the issue is not so much that iplayer "doesn't work " on 4.2, but when you install it from Google Play there's a check - "is your version of Android supported by thie app?". If not, it won't let you install it from Play. The app developers (BBC in this case) decide whether or not to do this check; obviously most apps don't stop you installing on newer versions of Android as otherwise you wouldn't be able to install anything on 4.2!

If you install the app first, then upgrade to 4.2, the check doesn't take place, so it will continue to run.

Solutions:

- wait for BBC to tick the 4.2 box (in fairness, they'll probably want to test their app with 4.2 first, make sure there's nothing nasty happening - or worse, that they won't get in trouble with the rights holders they've got deals with)

- sideload BBC iplayer from a 'trusted' source. My preferred method is to install software on my phone from Google Play (its only on 4.0, so passes the version test), then use another app to copy the iplayer app from my phone onto my nexus 7. Also works if apps don't have the "will this app run on a nexus 7" box ticked.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I bought my new 32GB Nexus 7 beginning of November, about a week before 4.2 was released, and downloaded the iplayer and bbc media app straight away..i.e onto 4.1. I have since updated to 4.2 and the iplayer app is still working for me so far.

So, I'm just wondering if the new 7's they are selling now have 4.2 out of the box or if they are still coming with a 4.1 version? If it's the latter and you can hold off updating until you've downloaded iplayer and bbc media apps on 4.1; they should still work when you update to 4.2.

I'll be honest, I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this will help anybody or make any difference, but just thought I'd mention it along the way.

How are you guys getting the app on the nexus 7? it is saying its not compatible with my device
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    How are you guys getting the app on the nexus 7? it is saying its not compatible with my device

Not sure if you have heard of “sideways loading” of Android devices but that’s how I assume they are doing it.

Rough short guide is to download the iPlayer and Media player to a Android device that is compatible like may be your phone or a friends phone or tab, using a file explorer like “File Expert” where you can extract the apk file for said apps.Move the files to your tab using DropBox or similar or even USB, BT ect, once on your tab tap the apk file and it will install.

You must enable”unknown sources” in the security menu on your tab.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Move the files to your tab using DropBox or similar or even USB, BT ect, once on your tab tap the apk file and it will install.

I usually just email it to my self....
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I usually just email it to my self....

OK thanks, will try it
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'sideloading' is a very misleading term for installing anything not downloaded from the play store. It's very easy, first enable install from other sources in your settings, secondly download file manager from the app store then search google for 'flash player android' and download the apk from one of the links you'll find and it's as simple as clicking on the downloaded file in the notification bar or search for the file through file manager, click and install, done!!
    Combined with Firefox I can watch just about anything and with a higher quality video than the iplayer app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering if anyone can help me. I stream a lot of TV on my computer (not iplayer etc) and tried the same website on my nexus 7 and it worked. I went to play something last night and now its saying format not supported. Not sure if I updated to 4.2 in this time...is there any way around this?

In fact thinking about it I definitely watched it when updated to 4.2, I can't understand why it worked then but not now! So frustrating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FairySnuff wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help me. I stream a lot of TV on my computer (not iplayer etc) and tried the same website on my nexus 7 and it worked. I went to play something last night and now its saying format not supported. Not sure if I updated to 4.2 in this time...is there any way around this?

In fact thinking about it I definitely watched it when updated to 4.2, I can't understand why it worked then but not now! So frustrating!

Assuming the website uses flash to stream video, did you open Chrome rather than Firefox to view the website?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Assuming the website uses flash to stream video, did you open Chrome rather than Firefox to view the website?

it's worked in both chrome and firefox before but now neither work!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nexus 7 updated to 4.2 other week and the BBCi player now works on it. I also got the STV player app to work on it.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FairySnuff wrote: »
    it's worked in both chrome and firefox before but now neither work!

Make sure firefox is requesting the desktop site, I had a problem getting the flash plug in to start on a site and doing this seemed to fix it!
    It's possible the videos aren't even flash as I thought flash was incompatible with chrome.