Venice

JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
Forum Member
OH, I and another couple have just booked 3 nights in Venice for next New Year.

Anyone been (especially at that time of year)?

Top tips?

I quite fancy seeing the Murano glass factory.

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest having a look at the Trip Advisor ratings and comments on the sights to see in Venice: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187870-Activities-Venice_Veneto.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch out for the axe wielding dwarf!
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest having a look at the Trip Advisor ratings and comments on the sights to see in Venice: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187870-Activities-Venice_Veneto.html

Yeah I'm on TA thanks.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH, I and another couple have just booked 3 nights in Venice for next New Year.

Anyone been (especially at that time of year)?

Top tips?

I quite fancy seeing the Murano glass factory.

I went a few years ago during October. Loved it. Venice is beautiful.

I went to Murano to the glass factory, there are some lovely little trinkets to buy as souvenirs.

Also, take in Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square) and visit the Doge's Palace, St Mark's Basilica, and the Clock Tower.

Gondola rides can be a little expensive, but it's so worth it. Some of the boats offer a less expensive ride as an alternative though.

Also, there are some lovely little cafes and market stalls by the Rialto Bridge.

I'd love to go back again some day.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    I went a few years ago during October. Loved it. Venice is beautiful.

I went to Murano to the glass factory, there are some lovely little trinkets to buy as souvenirs.

Also, take in Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square) and visit the Doge's Palace, St Mark's Basilica, and the Clock Tower.

Gondola rides can be a little expensive, but it's so worth it. Some of the boats offer a less expensive ride as an alternative though.

Also, there are some lovely little cafes and market stalls by the Rialto Bridge.

I'd love to go back again some day.
    Just to say linnylou has posted everything I was going to say.
    Yes. Gondola rides are expensive but you must take one.
    I envy you, beautiful place, have a great time.
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    My favourite place in the world. Though I'm against the gondolas for personal reasons, so I never took one.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of a better way of spending €100+ than on a gondola ride.

we will be in Venice for the 3rd time this summer. I don't know if prices change during the tourist summer season but if you eat in all the touristy places you will pay a big premium, better to try and find somewhere the locals eat for quality and price reasons. You know if you eat with the locals you are onto a winner. Most true locals move away during silly summer season but come back for the out of season months.
    Murano glass can be bought anywhere in Italy, again you will probably pay more buying it in Venice. I have a set of six wine glasses from Murano, all with colour stems and all slightly wonky. They were bought as a gift from my parents when they went on a trip from Venice to Murano. They visited the factory and said it was hard sell throughout the trip to get you to part with your cash because of this we have always avoided it.
    Burano is a much prettier place to visit with its colourful buildings. Again it has a claim to fame- ,lace but again be careful as you could end up with something made in China rather than something made on Burano.
    going back to Venice, make sure you look in the cafes around St Marks Square, they are unbelievably opulent.

Don't forget you are going at high water time and in recent years Venice has had some major flooding, something which they are trying to solve with some new high tec flood barrier but it is many years off. You may want to keep an eye on the weather and take some willies and a brolly, along with some warm jumpers.
    although we haven't been there when it has flooded, we have been there in the heaviest rain I have every experienced, it bounced off St Marks Sq as high as my knees. I have never experienced anything like it but everyone just laughed and treated it as an experience they hadn't expected.

If you are there in the first week I think there is a regatta around the 6th Jan each year.

Whatever the weather I am sure you will have a great time
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are only going for 3 nights I would suggest you buy Murano in Venice. Shop carefully. The trip on the boat out to Murano plus walking about looking at endless glass shops which is lovely if you have days to spare is time consuming., but a waste if only 2 days. gondolas cost a bomb but you can get a little ride in one accross the Grand Canal for pennies.
    The best way to see Venice is to walk. Enjoy, I am very envious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Don't forget you are going at high water time and in recent years Venice has had some major flooding, something which they are trying to solve with some new high tec flood barrier but it is many years off. You may want to keep an eye on the weather and take some willies and a brolly , along with some warm jumpers.
    Whatever the weather I am sure you will have a great time

:D:D

I second this though, so be aware of it!

When i was there, a guide told us if you have some spare time just get lost, go down all the side streets. We did that for a bit and it was lovely.
    Easy to find your way back to st marks square though, so as long as you know you're way from there..!

Also the prices in the cafes in st marks are ridiculous..go to one just off it and it more than halves the cost of a coffee!

Have a great time!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice tigragirl your typo (or Freudian slip :D did make me laugh.

That aside your advice (and everyone else's of course) is most welcome.

I was attracted to the Murano factory more for the manufacturing process than the shopping experience tbh but might give it a miss now.
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the shops on Murano did have a 'behind the scenes' tour when we went - thing is, they might not be open over NY. What dates are you going?

The no 1 vaporetto (water bus) goes down the Grand Canal, so for a cheap tour, just try and get on the front of that one! A lot of guide books will give you details of things that you will see on that route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehe just seen the typo it made me smile
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »

Gondola rides can be a little expensive
    As can a cup (tiny one) of coffee in St Marks square. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend had a coffee in St Marks just to say" she had" it cost €8 and that was a few years ago.

I know it wasn't Venice, but we had a toastie and glass of coke just outsideThe Vatican and it cost €30 . Lesson learned - look for somewhere the local eat
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schedule your ascent of the campanile to coincide with the bell tolling the hour: it feels as though you are climbing to Heaven to meet your maker.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    ............ Though I'm against the gondolas for personal reasons, so I never took one.

Cruelty to gondolas? Sorry, but I'm curious as to what you could have against gondolas.
    tigragirl wrote: »
    A friend had a coffee in St Marks just to say" she had" it cost €8 and that was a few years ago.

Indeed, she may have waited all her life to do just that. My wife wants to drink a Bellini in Harry's Bar ... unfortunately, it's been shut every time we've been there.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would avoid buying any Murano glass -most of it is cheap over priced tourist rubbish. Same with masks.

The ridiculous price of a coffee in St. Marks Square - perhaps. Years ago- it earned you the right to sit for as long as you want and to soak up the atmosphere.

Enjoy.
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great place! But very expensive! Would love to go back one day :)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found out I'm going to Venice on the Orient Express for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Excited, but will only be staying in Venice 2 nights, so I'll be reading the thread with interest to see what others recommend and just how much I can squeeze into a day! :D
    Forum Member
    I've just found out I'm going to Venice on the Orient Express for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Excited, but will only be staying in Venice 2 nights, so I'll be reading the thread with interest to see what others recommend and just how much I can squeeze into a day! :D

Sounds fab.

There's a romantic connection for our friends who we are travelling with - we are staying at the hotel at which they met on a school trip - by the time we travel they will have been married 32 years.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Look out for crabs.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds fab.

There's a romantic connection for our friends who we are travelling with - we are staying at the hotel at which they met on a school trip - by the time we travel they will have been married 32 years.

Thanks, yours too! :) Luckily my OH ignored the fact our anniversary is later in the year and booked it for April! :p I hope the year flies by for you! With such an abundance of beauty to see in a short time, where on earth to start, but it's useful to get feedback on what to be wary of. Seeing Venician glass being made, appeals to me too, but could imagine it being crowded and touristy. There are so many paintings to see, but my art teacher said if I only get one chance, then the Titian paintings on display in the Basilica Frari were stunning, so in between a little relaxation, may try that. :)
  • anngall10anngall10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Went in Sept 2012. It's expensive but no more thant any other major 'tourist city' I've been to. Transport on vaporetto is dirt cheap and saves your legs. You must visit a small wine shop called 'Schiavi' just behind the Academia vaporetto stop- time shop selling glasses of wine and freshly made 'Italian tapas snack food' -tiny bread concoctions topped with all sorts of meat, cheese, veg etc and all €1 each... Small glass vino €2 so couple of glasses and half a dozen eats for only €10 a head- best€10 I've ever spent in a European city! And unbelievably ice cream
    Is very cheap-even in St Marks Square!
    Lots of kiosk type
    Places selling huge slices of fresh pizza for 2-3 € as well as cups of fresh fruit....gosh I want to go back!!!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did The Orient Express to Venice over 20 year ago now. Still remember the experience as if it was yesterday. The train and the scenery is just fabulous. If you are staying in an Orient Express booked hotel , then your transfer from train to hotel is just that little bit special...well it was when I went.

I arrived at 4pm local time and left approx 4pm on day 3 but still managed to fit in a Gondola ride (organised on booking holiday), St Mark's Sq & Bascilica, Dodges Palace and still had a few hours to shop :D. Enjoy the experience.
  • anngall10anngall10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Cicchetti-that's the name for those little snacks!