French Freeview here in Kent..

bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
Forum Member
✭✭
I just wanted to share this with you.I am staying in a B&B in Broadstairs,Kent.The antenna is facing the transmitter south of here(Ramsgate I think?)but can "see" France.I am receiving all the UK channels but from 800 - 821 are all French channels......though some are scrambled or HD channels that this tv can't pick-up but the channels are;
800 TF1 HD
801 France 2 HD
802 M6HD
803 France 2.....................viewable
804 France 5.....................viewable
805 France O....................viewable
806 LCP............................viewable
807 France 3.....................viewable
808 Opal TV......................viewable
809 TF1.............................viewable
810 NRJ 12....................... viewable
811 Eurosport
812 LCI
813 TMC............................viewable
814 TF6
815 ARTE..........................viewable
816 CANAL+
817 CANAL+ CINEMA
818 CANAL+ SPORT
819 PLANETE+
820 TPS Star
821 CFOOT

They are obviously all in French but have a strong signal here.As they are all programmed into the tv I am assuming they are always available due to the cross-sea signal path and not due to weather conditions as they were there last night and now 24 hours later.I wonder how many other people reading this get Freeview channels from the Continent along the English east coast? Just wanted to share with you.

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A number of people have reported regular reception of Boulogne along the coast from Broadstairs down to somewhere beyond Folkestone. Some of the French channels are encrypted which explains why only some are viewable to you.
  • bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as French Freeview. Freeview is the name of the fta DTT service in the UK. The name is also used in Australia and NZ but not France.

What you are receiving is the French DTT service known as TNT.

Out of interest can you get teletext on TF1?

Hi.I only refered to these French channels as Freeview as I am receiving them via the B&B tv.No I don't get teletext on TF1 or any channel.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Can you get original audio on films where available? Try it on TMC.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you able to record any of these?
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have posted this before, but sometimes I can get French freeview in Brighton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULpcB40rSMQ
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As he is watching it on a TV I would not think so.

However I can record French TV on a PVR in the Isle of Wight. What is more on channels that use teletext I can decode the teletext on playback of the recording. Now try doing that on this grotty new fangled MHEG5 stuff.:D

A PVR should record either the teletext or subtitle stream, whichever is present. Subtitles have nothing to do with MHEG5, they are included in the digital tv standard.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said subtitles were anything to do with MHEG5. My point was that MHEG5 could not be recorded whereas DVB text can.

I can see the logic in recording a subtitle stream relevant to the programme being recorded. I didn't think for a second that you would wish to record an interactive data stream for use after the event. :rolleyes:
  • JonCollettJonCollett Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Hello

Take a look at this link

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1814817

I receive Dutch free to air TV in Lincolnshire,and others in Lincolnshire do too, as do DXers in Norfolk and Suffolk and Essex.

My signals can come in for days at a time, or just visit for a few hours, depedning on weather conditions, but the distance from the Lincolshire coast to Holland is significantly greater than from Ramsgate to France. I have a direct sea path with nothing else in the way, which helps of course. :D

Best regards

Jon
    I just wanted to share this with you.I am staying in a B&B in Broadstairs,Kent.The antenna is facing the transmitter south of here(Ramsgate I think?)but can "see" France.I am receiving all the UK channels but from 800 - 821 are all French channels......though some are scrambled or HD channels that this tv can't pick-up but the channels are;
    800 TF1 HD
    801 France 2 HD
    802 M6HD
    803 France 2.....................viewable
    804 France 5.....................viewable
    805 France O....................viewable
    806 LCP............................viewable
    807 France 3.....................viewable
    808 Opal TV......................viewable
    809 TF1.............................viewable
    810 NRJ 12....................... viewable
    811 Eurosport
    812 LCI
    813 TMC............................viewable
    814 TF6
    815 ARTE..........................viewable
    816 CANAL+
    817 CANAL+ CINEMA
    818 CANAL+ SPORT
    819 PLANETE+
    820 TPS Star
    821 CFOOT

They are obviously all in French but have a strong signal here.As they are all programmed into the tv I am assuming they are always available due to the cross-sea signal path and not due to weather conditions as they were there last night and now 24 hours later.I wonder how many other people reading this get Freeview channels from the Continent along the English east coast? Just wanted to share with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many other people reading this get Freeview channels from the Continent along the English east coast? Just wanted to share with you.

My parents have an aerial pointing to France purely to receive TNT. They have had a French capable TV since the mid 80's...started off with a small B/w portable, and now just use a standard Toshiba flatscreen DTV
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In East Kent, these channels are available permanently.

They can be affected by weather or atmospherics but they are there on a permanent basis.

Even the HD ones are viewable.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    JonCollett wrote: »

I receive Dutch free to air TV in Lincolnshire,and others in Lincolnshire do too, as do DXers in Norfolk and Suffolk and Essex.

Dutch Freeview?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Do you people in Ramsgate and East Kent also receive Belgian channels?
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not but do get Belgian DAB as easy as we get UK DAB.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homers wrote: »
    Do you people in Ramsgate and East Kent also receive Belgian channels?

Belgian Freeview? (:cool:)
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    No. Freeview is the free to air DTT service in the UK. The name is also used by Australia and New Zealand. In the Netherlands it is simply DVB-T free to air service.
    In the Netherlands, the digital terrestrial TV service is branded "Digitenne".
  • LinearCandidateLinearCandidate Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    My parents have an aerial pointing to France purely to receive TNT. They have had a French capable TV since the mid 80's...started off with a small B/w portable, and now just use a standard Toshiba flatscreen DTV
    Don't you really mean SECAM capable TV? :confused: There isn't really such thing as a "French capable" TV! :p
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Don't you really mean SECAM capable TV? :confused: There isn't really such thing as a "French capable" TV! :p

SECAM doesn't exist since digital TV. French capable just means the text and subtitles can be received.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SECAM doesn't exist since digital TV. French capable just means the text and subtitles can be received.
    He was talking about the 1980s.