Hopeless: Small tv with analog?

I'm possibly going to be dissapoinmted but if anyone can point me to a current product I'd appreciate it.

Looking for a small screen TV that has preferably both analog and DAB tuners. I need the analog for some security cameras. In an ideal world I'd like a TV that I can watch digital TV and have a small PIP of the analog camera feed.

Anyone know of any products still around that may do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,338
    Forum Member
    uk1 wrote: »
    I'm possibly going to be dissapoinmted but if anyone can point me to a current product I'd appreciate it.

Looking for a small screen TV that has preferably both analog and DAB tuners. I need the analog for some security cameras. In an ideal world I'd like a TV that I can watch digital TV and have a small PIP of the analog camera feed.

Anyone know of any products still around that may do this?

I presume you mean DTT (not DAB - which is radio?).

But almost all TV's (other than toys) still have analogue tuners, but I doubt you'll find one that will do PIP in the way you want (if at all).

Generally there's only one tuner in a TV, which does both analogue and digital (just like an aerial, there's no difference between analogue and digital) - the difference is in the demodulation and processing. So you can't have two tuner sources to do PIP - even assuming you could find a small TV that does it?.
  • uk1uk1 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel ... yes Digital TV.

The problem is that whilst searching before posting all the TV descriptions I saw only mention freeview and no descriptions list that they had analog. I'm trying to avoid ordering a TV unless I know for sure it has the analog tuner. Happy obviously without PIP.

Any specific products appreciated. Looking for something small ie 20" or preferably even less and preferably without DVD!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,338
    Forum Member
    uk1 wrote: »
    Thanks Nigel ... yes Digital TV.

The problem is that whilst searching before posting all the TV descriptions I saw only mention freeview and no descriptions list that they had analog. I'm trying to avoid ordering a TV unless I know for sure it has the analog tuner. Happy obviously without PIP.

Any specific products appreciated. Looking for something small ie 20" or preferably even less and preferably without DVD!

As far as I'm aware only one specific (and specially ordered) Argos set has no analogue tuner.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel.

This morning I followed through several products including 5 or 6 Toshiba products and a couple of others from Amazon to the manufacturers site. On every one of them I went through the detailed specs on the manufacturer site line by line and all of them listed prettymuch every feature and spec but none of them specifically mentioned an analog tuner. I even downloaded PDF manuals and none of those mentioned the ability to tune in analog but all were detailed and specific on freeview.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random choices from the Toshiba website

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/television/led/w1/24-w1333-high-definition-led-tv/
    http://www.toshiba.co.uk/television/led/bl/19-bl502b2-high-definition-led-tv/

Tuner specs.
    TV Standards : PAL BG/I/DK SECAM BG/DK/L NTSC BG 4.48
    Analogue
    DVB-T
    DVB-C / DVB-C (HD)
    H.264
    DVB Common Interface (CI)
    DVB Common Interface+ (CI+)
    DVB Common Interface+ (CI+) v1.3 : Yes (RC)
    NTSC Video-Playback
    Auto Set-up
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    I've come across 3 14" TV's without analogue, one was Goodmans and the other 2 I can't remember the makes (I know where they are though so will check sometime), so you do need o be careful.

But when buying just ask, preferably in front of several witnesses, then if it turns out not to have analogue take it back under the Sale of Goods act not as described.

Thanks. Amazon are pretty good with returns .... :)
    chrisjr wrote: »

Thanks ... your pointer led me to Amazon ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BPOMOMW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    depends exactly what you need.

if you want cheap, you might be able to pick up a computer monitor with built in analog tuner, and add digital services with a set top box, if there is no DTT on board.

eg you might find stuff like this at staples.
    Forum Member
    depends exactly what you need.

if you want cheap, you might be able to pick up a computer monitor with built in analog tuner, and add digital services with a set top box, if there is no DTT on board.

eg you might find stuff like this at staples.

Thanks ... funnily enough this TV at <£130 is replacing an aging SyncMaster that cost me over £1000 years ago ....
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps I've missed something, but do you need an analogue tuner?
    You'd only need a tuner if the video from your camera system was on an RF channel. Most of them output CVBS, composite video which can go into a scart or phono socket. Most TV's have these.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the search uk1.

Buy your standard TV and then also buy cheap no name 7" Freeview for about £35. They usually have analogue input. And must be loads of 2nd hand analogue ones around for a tenner.

Your PIP request is unlikely to happen.
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Perhaps I've missed something, but do you need an analogue tuner?
    You'd only need a tuner if the video from your camera system was on an RF channel. Most of them output CVBS, composite video which can go into a scart or phono socket. Most TV's have these.

Thanks. No you haven't missed anything.

It is a still working ancient but very useful composite video system distributed around the house via RF converters. This meant that all TVs in all rooms (including the bathrooms!) with analogue TVs (they all have freeview as well) could see who was on the drive or at the front door etc.

There is also an up to date secuirty IP camera system ... but obviously that only works with the PC's here and whilst away ... and on the Ipads.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Forget the search uk1.

Buy your standard TV and then also buy cheap no name 7" Freeview for about £35. They usually have analogue input. And must be loads of 2nd hand analogue ones around for a tenner.

Your PIP request is unlikely to happen.

In fact I can do PIP.

I already have a couple of small travel TV's and that is a solution. Another is that I have a dual screen PC system in the same room and I may simply add (if I can find one - I have had several around in storage somewhere) a USB analog TV dongle which will give me a small adjustable PIP on one of the computer screens.

I'm going to play. It's my study and I like to preserve a bit of elegance. :)