AMC's Low Winter Sun To Air In UK On Fox

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
apparently Fox have nabbed the uk rights to AMC's latest remake. Not that I have high hopes about the quality

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/01/fox-acquires-uk-rights-to-amcs-low-winter-sun/

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    rickywal wrote: »

You should have high hopes about the quality. I'm sure it will be a lot better than the original.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original was excellent. But casting two English actors in an American remake of a Scottish drama is bound to produce an even better show.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The original was excellent. But casting two English actors in an American remake of a Scottish drama is bound to produce an even better show.

English actor Mark Strong appeared in the original and is now in the remake.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen the trailer which was shown last night during Dexter and it's starting on Fox on 16th August. Great cast. Looks interesting.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I would give it a go. The original one was had a good visual style but I remember the drama being unmemorable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this yet another series about a murder/murderer??

I'm already watching The Killing, The Bridge, The Fall, Top of the Lake...I don't think I need another one.

Might catch up on it next year
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Is this yet another series about a murder/murderer??

Yes.
    In the first episode, two cops murder a fellow cop, but one of the killers is a "good cop" whom the other killer lied to in order to induce the fellow to join him in committing the crime. The series is about the consequences of that murder.
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    You should have high hopes about the quality. I'm sure it will be a lot better than the original.

Lol, with the exception of possibly Queer as Folk and The Office, that's NEVER happened.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the look of it actually so i'll give it a go. Didn't even realise it was a remake.
    Forum Member
    Lol, with the exception of possibly Queer as Folk and The Office, that's NEVER happened.

Looking at a list (at Wikipedia) of US shows that were remakes of UK shows, in very few cases can I say that I saw both the UK original and the American remake. In some cases the UK show was better, in some cases the two shows were about the same, and quite possibly in ONLY the case of The Office would I say the US show beat the original. In every case where I have seen both the UK show and the American show, however, the UK show wasn't bad. Why am I confident that the American Low Winter Sun will be an improvement over the UK version? Because I have seen the original, and it was BAD. The biggest problem with it was that it was just a two-parter and the story required much, much more time to play out. The creators of the original probably wanted a full series and all they got money for was a two-parter, and the budget looked to be stretched pretty thin at that. Just by virtue of the fact that the Americans have given the premise the full-series treatment, and won't have to squeeze everything into about three hours, makes the remake -- sight unseen -- a step up from the original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at a list (at Wikipedia) of US shows that were remakes of UK shows, in very few cases can I say that I saw both the UK original and the American remake. In some cases the UK show was better, in some cases the two shows were about the same, and quite possibly in ONLY the case of The Office would I say the US show beat the original. In every case where I have seen both the UK show and the American show, however, the UK show wasn't bad. Why am I confident that the American Low Winter Sun will be an improvement over the UK version? Because I have seen the original, and it was BAD. The biggest problem with it was that it was just a two-parter and the story required much, much more time to play out. The creators of the original probably wanted a full series and all they got money for was a two-parter, and the budget looked to be stretched pretty thin at that. Just by virtue of the fact that the Americans have given the premise the full-series treatment, and won't have to squeeze everything into about three hours, makes the remake -- sight unseen -- a step up from the original.

Has it aired in the US yet?
    Forum Member
    Has it aired in the US yet?

Starts August 11 in the US, and August 16 on Fox UK.

Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWAYnkuF8c
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starts August 11 in the US, and August 16 on Fox UK.

Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWAYnkuF8c

Thanks. I saw the trailer last night on Fox during Dexter.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Saw the trailer for the first time today - looks good.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm giving this a go.
    Some familiar faces in this, including "Daniel Hardman" (David Costabile who's in "Suits"), which I'm re-watching week-nights on "Dave" I thought it so good.

Instead of a smarmy lawyer, he's a smarmy I.A.D. investigator.
    A bit of type-casting there, but no matter, he's good at that sort of part.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode.

Promising start, but not hooked - I liked the surprise at the end with the body in the boot/trunk.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't enjoy it.

Lennie's American accent is utterly appalling.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy it.

Utterly appalling? :confused:

Are you kidding? :rolleyes: The accent is right on target. So much so, that Americans unfamiliar with Lennie James and have only seen him in other shows like Jericho and The Walking Dead were surprised that he's actually a Brit. Don't know what your idea of how an American accent is supposed to sound like, but I can confidently say that Lennie James has it nailed and this is coming from an American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »

Are you kidding? :rolleyes: The accent is right on target. So much so, that Americans unfamiliar with Lennie James and have only seen him in other shows like Jericho and The Walking Dead were surprised that he's actually a Brit. Don't know what your idea of how an American accent is supposed to sound like, but I can confidently say that Lennie James has it nailed and this is coming from an American.

I was surprised with that comment also. Any US show I've seen him in his accent has always been spot on.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »

No I'm not kidding, his accent in Jericho was a lot better but its weak in this one.

My opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not kidding, his accent in Jericho was a lot better but its weak in this one.

My opinion

The accent is the same, there is no weakness. My opinion. :p

As for the series itself, I liked what I saw in the first two episodes. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the original mini-series, but this one has me curious enough to keep on watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a Q&A with Mark Strong from the Los Angeles Times regarding Low Winter Sun. It's an interesting read. :)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-mark-strong-low-winter-sun-british-actors-antihero-shows-20130818,0,6580849,full.story
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't enjoy it.

I didn't even notice he was putting on ana accent so it couldn't have been that bad.

Watched the first episode of this today. It was alright, nothing specular. I'll give it another ep or two to see if it grabs me more.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen trailers for The Walking Dead returning on Fox on 18th October. I understood Low Winter Sun was ten episodes and we're only up to seven so I'm assuming there's a double bill to round things off on the 11th?