Top Gear

Comments

• davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madmissi12 wrote: »
    If some people didn't know who Mick Fleetwood was then they won't know Amy MacDonald this week. I'm a fan of hers and have seen her in concert so looking forward to it, but quite a few of the comments on the Top Gear facebook page are "Amy who?" and "scraping the barrel this week" :eek: Is a certain level of stardom now expected for the guests? Surely they can't have the likes of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz on every week :rolleyes:

She's an over-rated airhead who has been hinting for the past few years about her desire to go on the show. Can't sing either...........
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    She's an over-rated airhead who has been hinting for the past few years about her desire to go on the show. Can't sing either...........

She can sing, but I don't like her voice personally, though a lot of people do.
    As to an airhead, I wouldn't say that, she's a decent songwriter, even though quite a few are "heavily infuenced" by other songs :D
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    top gear used to be good, but now its so formulaic and the presenters are so smug. the only amusing thing is that they dont realise how sad they look and act. money yes, kudos and likeability no.
  • Madmissi12Madmissi12 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »

What's wrong with having a desire to be on the show? I'm sure any petrolhead would love a go on the Top Gear track, I can't even drive and have no interest in learning but I wouldn't mind having a go!
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I'm quite sure there are more than 400 million petrolheads in the world, which apparently is the global audience. The only people I know who watch it do under sufferance. There is hardly a glut of auto shows on TV. If there one that was more "Car" magazine than "Viz" then fine. But it's all the BBC give us, which is why I object. It gives petrolheads a bad name.

Pompous and puerile. I must have morphed into Clarkson.

Then perhaps ‘petrolheads’ are better served by alternative car progs, namely Driven, 5th Gear, Pulling Power (South East based production with unforgettably laughable production values). But then they were only doing what TG had done in earlier incarnations and they disappeared right down the shitter (or Discovery - pretty much the same thing, really).

Also it is rather surprising that you use Car Magazine as some sort of exemplar of quality. The standard of this publication had deteriorated profoundly when I jacked in my subscription in the late nineties. And is it not (embarrassingly) eclipsed in circulation terms by TG’s own mag?
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with having a desire to be on the show? I'm sure any petrolhead would love a go on the Top Gear track, I can't even drive and have no interest in learning but I wouldn't mind having a go!

Fair point actually, would love a go myself!!
  • coollistcoollist Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    If some people didn't know who Mick Fleetwood was then they won't know Amy MacDonald this week. I'm a fan of hers and have seen her in concert so looking forward to it, but quite a few of the comments on the Top Gear facebook page are "Amy who?" and "scraping the barrel this week" :eek: Is a certain level of stardom now expected for the guests? Surely they can't have the likes of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz on every week :rolleyes:

Cant wait for amy - big fan of her and big fan of Top Gear - for everyone in the Uk who are clueless to who she is - selling 5 million albums in Europe negates their opinion. Maybe it'll educate the eejits.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was surprised to find that she had more than one song. They all sound the same to me.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was surprised to find that she had more than one song. They all sound the same to me.

Problem with your ears then
    3 German Echo Awards
    3 Swiss awards
    and hopefully will beat Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz on Sunday
    Forum Member
    No suprise to find she got a 3 Echo awards is it ;)
    Forum Member
    No suprise to find she got a 3 Echo awards is it ;)

I agree with you on this one
    Probably because the Germans are much smarter than us
  • Madmissi12Madmissi12 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I wonder why she's so successful in Europe but not as well known here? At least a good thing about that is getting to see her in smaller venues rather than arenas :)
    Forum Member
    coollist wrote: »
    I agree with you on this one
    Probably because the Germans are much smarter than us
    Good to know that you agree that all her songs sound the same :)
    Forum Member
    Good to know that you agree that all her songs sound the same :)

It's not only your ears that don't work pal hate to tell you it's your eyesight too
    Clue was when I said I was a big fan
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Could it be that you take Top Gear a little bit too seriously?

I know it's scripted & staged to within an inch of its life & it is sometimes infantile, but I don't really care.

It's just light entertainment with cars thrown in & that's all it's aiming to be.

*nods*

I loved Top Gear in the early days, when it was the fat bloke talking about getting a bargain on a used Ka in front of a dozen audience members in car-branded jackets. - and I still love it now when Clarkson's powersliding whilst making jokes about James May's penis.

I don't care that most of it is staged and scripted, because it works. And I really enjoy it.

And I know that this is a cliché that gets thrown around a lot, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. Not as seriously as some people are taking it.
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    *nods*

I loved Top Gear in the early days, when it was the fat bloke talking about getting a bargain on a used Ka in front of a dozen audience members in car-branded jackets. - and I still love it now when Clarkson's powersliding whilst making jokes about James May's penis.

I don't care that most of it is staged and scripted, because it works. And I really enjoy it.

And I know that this is a cliché that gets thrown around a lot, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. Not as seriously as some people are taking it.

Awesome. Totally agree.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,965
    Forum Member
    Bump.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those 2 cars are exactly the same lol
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Oh Canada" :D
    Forum Member
    Engaged to James May...'s lawn mower :D
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those 2 cars are exactly the same lol
    I wondered how long it was until someone posted this.

Since both Subaru and Toyota developed that car together they are going to be the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few hotties over Hammonds shoulders...
    Forum Member
    Well worth the Eenie meenie miney mo test :D
    Forum Member
    Dog shit :D

Full size model of a miniature version of a car :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Mears chicken skin :eek:
This discussion has been closed.