King Kong (2005)

TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watching this on ITV2 and what a poor film it is.

The Perils of Penelope and DoYouThinkHeSaurus? all mixed together. Such terrible scripting, acting and directing.

It's like a Disney theme park ride stretched to 3 hours.

If I see another T-Rex I'll simply scream!

Comments

• GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be the most repeated film on ITV.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt see it tonight but Ive seen it before, and I always felt that for a modern remake and its a bit of a light-hearted romp, it wasnt too bad. I'm a big fan of the original which for its time was ground breaking, and theres been some truly dreadful remake efforts over the years, of which I think this isnt a bad try.

Whats wrong with a 3 hour Disney ride? My kids would have thought they'd gone to heaven if there was such a thing!
    If its so bad why didnt you turn over?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I remember going to see this awful misconception at the cinema and fearing the worst. True enough, I couldn't wait for it to end.

Boring, bloated, indulgent and pointless.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Didnt see it tonight but Ive seen it before, and I always felt that for a modern remake and its a bit of a light-hearted romp, it wasnt too bad. I'm a big fan of the original which for its time was ground breaking, and theres been some truly dreadful remake efforts over the years, of which I think this isnt a bad try.

Whats wrong with a 3 hour Disney ride? My kids would have thought they'd gone to heaven if there was such a thing!
    If its so bad why didnt you turn over?

I'm with you totally. I'm a fan of the original and I think the Peter Jackson remake is remarkable. There are actually some things about the remake that I actually prefer to the origina. The main thing is Naomi Watts' Anne Darrow character - the relationship between her and Kong - its so touching - whereas in the original all Fay Wray did was scream.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    It's too long, but it's not a bad film. It's got some very impressive moments.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you seen the extended version, by any chance?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    The original was extremely good and groundbreaking for the time, not least in terms of effects, but the remake in some ways is also remarkable, the tortured soul quality that Andy Serkis gives the Kong character so we can sympathise with him, and the 'relationship' between Anne and Kong is very touching, something which you don't really see in the original imo :)
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I like it but god is it boring before they get to Skull Island.Far too bloated.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it but god is it boring before they get to Skull Island.Far too bloated.

I agree. Its a good film, but it didn't need to be anywhere near as long as it was. Lord of the Rings needed those epic running times. This didn't.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    have you seen the extended version, by any chance?

There's actually an extended version!? :eek:
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    I'm with you totally. I'm a fan of the original and I think the Peter Jackson remake is remarkable. There are actually some things about the remake that I actually prefer to the origina. The main thing is Naomi Watts' Anne Darrow character - the relationship between her and Kong - its so touching - whereas in the original all Fay Wray did was scream.

I more or less go with what you say, although I wouldn't go as far as saying it's remarkable, more that It's a reasonably good film. There are flaws (although I don't mind its length that much), but I do agree with you that the Ann Darrow character is better fleshed out in Jackson's Kong than in the original. Saying that, other than the ground breaking effects, which were certainly ground breaking, I'm not that fussed with the original.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't see the point of Jack Black. He was totally miscast in The Holiday, a girlie film that I actually quite liked - apart from him.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely HATED this film.:mad: Biggest pile of dinosaur shite that I've ever seen.Ludicrous doesn't even begin to describe it.Apart from having horrendous dialogue and scenes so stupid you just want to give the tv a good kicking,I didn't think the special effects were that special at all.

The whole thing was like a three hour video game.There may as well have been no actors at all.A massive Peter Jackson ego trip,this film is definitely going in my Room 101.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I've only seen it once, on DVD a few years ago. I rather enjoyed it, apart from the cringeworthy
    iceskating scene
    although it did take an age to get going, think it was at least an hour before Kong actually showed up.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's some great scenes in it , but its too long and has some surprisingly bad FX
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far too many long drawn out scenes.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hated every moment of it.
    Very self-indulgent of Peter Jackson.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the 'likers'. Sure the set up to the voyage could've been reduced, but theres nothing to complain about the main characters performances, they're certainly above the average for an action film!

Once the action started, it didn't let up. The islanders first appearance was genuinely unsettling, Kong had personality to match the brawn and the fx were pretty good.

Sure the original was groundbreaking for its time, but frankly, this is better than the original on ALL levels.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I'm one of the 'likers'. Sure the set up to the voyage could've been reduced, but theres nothing to complain about the main characters performances, they're certainly above the average for an action film!

Once the action started, it didn't let up. The islanders first appearance was genuinely unsettling, Kong had personality to match the brawn and the fx were pretty good.

Sure the original was groundbreaking for its time, but frankly, this is better than the original on ALL levels.

I'd completely disagree with that. The remake has no charm, it lacks the human touch. It's a total showcase for effects with some actors thrown in. It's cold and boring.

The original has true character, a level of fascination and suspense. It truly outclasses the remake.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    It's a good movie. Naomi Watts is excellent in it.

It has weaknesses though. Adrian Brody is a piss poor leading man. What possessed Peter Jackson to cast Jack Black is beyond me.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh it is toooo loooong. We all want it to get to the bit where the big ape comes out from the trees to grab the girl but it takes way too long to get to that point. I saw the '76 Kong with Jessica Lange in the cinema and that was a better version, if cheesy in parts, but the suspense when the unseen Kong was approaching the tied-up Lange in the pitch black darkness was palpable. This was 1976 of course but it spooked the heck out me as a 13 year old....
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I'd completely disagree with that. The remake has no charm, it lacks the human touch. It's a total showcase for effects with some actors thrown in. It's cold and boring.

The original has true character, a level of fascination and suspense. It truly outclasses the remake.
    Quoted for truth.

The original is as iconic as it gets, and will always mean more than Jackson's gaudy, disposable rehash.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, but it could have been much shorter. The boat scenes were too drawn out.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone for the 1979 version of Fracula with Frank Langella? (sorry to digress!)