Thunderbirds movie on tv.

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
As a lot of you probably know, I am usually pretty tolerant of remakes/re imaginings etc, but this...they just got it soooooo wrong.

Director Frakes basically stuck to the Spy Kids formula, and aimed the movie squarely at the 5 - 10 year olds, and made no attempt whatsoever to reference the original series.

The adults are sidelined for most of the movie, save for Kingsley's pantomimish Hood and his ridiculous, charisma free minions. Only Ron Cooks Parker and Sophie Myles Lady Penelope come out of it with any dignity...poor old Anthony Edwards as Brains is reducing to a complete gibbering idiot.

The effects were below par even for the time it was made, and the classic vehicles in their redesign make no impact whatsoever (I buy a lot of old classic toys and love Anderson related stuff, but would never touch these things with a barge pole...and I can tell you for a fact they did NOT make a lot of money on merchandise with this movie).

And even as a kids film in it's own right it fails spectacularly.

And it got me thinking...does anyone think there will ever be another attempt at a Thunderbirds movie? I realise that it obviously has to appeal to todays audiences, but if made properly can also appeal to adults as well. But what of the chances of it ever happening now?

Personally, I would love to see a Captain Scarlet movie. It was always the most grown-up of Anderson's concepts, and very, very dark.

Comments

• JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I think the fact that a sequel was never commissioned about says it all.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are doing a CG Thunderbirds series which is due to air in 2015, a CG/live action series I imagine would be too expensive.

I'm surprised Joe 90 not been done as a movie or a TV series, that was more of a spy series so was less reliant on the vehicle. I'm hoping the new Thunderbirds series is able to create a shared universe with other Gerry Anderson series like Stingray, Captain Scarlet etc
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also shocked to the point of creating a thread about this movie after I first watched it a few years ago.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1600061
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    Personally, I would love to see a Captain Scarlet movie. It was always the most grown-up of Anderson's concepts, and very, very dark.
    You could see it working as a sort of SF/action/espionage thing set in the future. Sounds like a Tom Cruise venture waiting to happen.

They'd surely have to jazz up the Mysterons though. Wispy, floating hoops don't really cut it these days.

UFO was my Anderson fave. I understand there were plans for film a few years back, but nothing seems to have come of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joie 90 could be dangerous. With the lead character being a kid it would be almost certainly pitched in the same way as the dire TB movie that this thread is about. And that would be a waste.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember on the commentary Frakes introducing himself as the 'alleged' director of the movie. So, to be fair to him, it may have been the studio who insisted on ditching most of what was good about the TV show and making Spy Kids IV instead.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unwatchable. The orangey/pink grading on the film is dreadful.

Alan looks like he's wearing lipstick.

Just execrable.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The website for the proposed UFO movie does not appear to have been updated for some time.

It is still classed as 'in development', and the last thing I read was a report that producer Robert Evans was teaming up with ITV Global to produce the film, and it seems that they still want to set it in the UK. Effects man Matthew Gratzner was down to direct, I say was because it does not appear on his IMDB listing.

Talking of Joe 90, I could not see a movie being made from this...it was ok but more juvenile and kiddie orientated than some of the better known shows, and not one that most of the general public would remember.

That said, fan of Joe 90 should check out the movie D.A.R.Y.L, about a young boy who is actually an artificial life form who goes missing from a laboratory and is taken in by a family.

Because the 'boy' is able to drive cars, fly planes, operate complex machinery etc there are some similarities with Joe 90, and though dated (1985) it's a well made and entertaining little movie.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than sit through that crap again.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really disappointing film.One I was looking forward to.

Seem to remember that Gerry Anderson wasn't quite as polite about it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    It's unwatchable. The orangey/pink grading on the film is dreadful.

Alan looks like he's wearing lipstick.

Just execrable.

i actually just thought he was. Along with too much rouge. :o

:D

execrable. marvellous word.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Gerry Anderson wasn't involved at all, he claimed at the time that he had offered his services but that Frakes wasn't interested. The three biggest mistakes they made, imo, was to first redesign the Thunderbirds, secondly aimed it squarely at a "kiddie" audience and thirdly made it a bank heist movie instead of a fantastic rescue story.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with that re-design of Lady Penelope's car - just appalling .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I disagree I really enjoyed the movie am a big fan of the movie and the tv series this movie had great actors and the plot was brilliant I love the Tracy brothers they are so hot! Don't diss them surely u must have thought they were hot if u are a woman I wish there was a sequel though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have the hots for Scott, John, Virgil, and Gordon I can't fancy Alan he is too young for me but his brothers are lovely surely a lot of women agree with me they are not that bad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the hots for Scott, John, Virgil, and Gordon I can't fancy Alan he is too young for me but his brothers are lovely surely a lot of women agree with me they are not that bad

But have you ever seen the original series?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Gerry Anderson wasn't involved at all, he claimed at the time that he had offered his services but that Frakes wasn't interested. The three biggest mistakes they made, imo, was to first redesign the Thunderbirds, secondly aimed it squarely at a "kiddie" audience and thirdly made it a bank heist movie instead of a fantastic rescue story.

The worst mistake was not using Barry Gray's original theme music. Its presence would have got even the most cynical audience on side, if only temporarily.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    ITV are doing a CG Thunderbirds series which is due to air in 2015, a CG/live action series I imagine would be too expensive.

I'm surprised Joe 90 not been done as a movie or a TV series, that was more of a spy series so was less reliant on the vehicle. I'm hoping the new Thunderbirds series is able to create a shared universe with other Gerry Anderson series like Stingray, Captain Scarlet etc

The Clint Eastwood film Firefox is basically a rip-off of the first episode of Joe 90 - both involve the theft of a Russian MiG fighter and the chase that ensues. Obviously the effects in the Joe 90 episode are better. :p
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an abysmal film. I was really looking forward to a Thunderbirds film and what we got was One Direction made by Blue Peter.

I would love to see Captain Scarlet giving a new treatment though. It had that brief CGI show which wasn't great but I think it would make an excellent RL television show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those interested in Thunderbirds should check out this thread -

http://forum.robertharrop.com/showthread.php?6908-Hey-Thunderbird-1

It's from a site called Robert Harrop, based in Yorkshire they make figurines based on kids tv shows, including Gerry Anderson shows.

They have a lot of pics of some of the new craft designs.

I quite like them - they are different, but not in the toy oriented way of the remake.

The good news is that the series will be a mixture of CG and live action, so they are building actual models of the craft and also building sets as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those interested in Thunderbirds should check out this thread -

http://forum.robertharrop.com/showthread.php?6908-Hey-Thunderbird-1

It's from a site called Robert Harrop, based in Yorkshire they make figurines based on kids tv shows, including Gerry Anderson shows.

They have a lot of pics of some of the new craft designs.

I quite like them - they are different, but not in the toy oriented way of the remake.

The good news is that the series will be a mixture of CG and live action, so they are building actual models of the craft and also building sets as well.

what have they done to my beloved Thunderbird 2 ?? :cry::cry::cry:

I don't mind them adjusting the other designs a bit , but TB2 is a work of perfection , it should never be changed .

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what have they done to my beloved Thunderbird 2 ?? :cry::cry::cry:

I don't mind them adjusting the other designs a bit , but TB2 is a work of perfection , it should never be changed .

But we always knew it was going to be different - any new version is going to update the designs. As long as they don't mess with them too radically (which personally I don't think they have), I don't mind.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with that re-design of Lady Penelope's car - just appalling .

Two words - product placement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words - product placement.

:confused: what product placement ?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    :confused: what product placement ?

Ford. Lady P's car isn't a Roller, it's a Ford Thunderbird (oh my aching sides). Other Fords feature prominently in the film, even Frakes complains about it in the commentary.