Brand new Nexus 4 - rattling

JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
Forum Member
✭✭
So I've had my new Nexus 4 for two days and its started making a tiny vibration / rattle noise when i put it down. I havent dropped it in fact i've been super careful with it.
It comes from the end where the camera is located, It works perfectly well otherwise but i'm pretty sure it shouldnt rattle when i put it down, and now i'm aware of it, it just bugs me.

Am I within my rights to order a replacement ? I tried phoning their hardware support line but got no answer.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you order it from Google Play?
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Did you order it from Google Play?

Absolutely!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Absolutely!

I had a problem with mine, call 0800 328 6081 and speak to the warranty support people, explain everything and they are usually brilliant and will send you a link to order your replacement straight away.

I've dealt with them and they were very helpful so I'd recommend giving that a try. It's not normal behaviour from this phone and it should be covered under the warranty. You'll have to send the old device back within a set time period though.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Is it a really bad rattle as mine rattles as well a bit as did my last one. I have to give it a good shake however to make it do it.

It's the camera lens. It used to do it on my iphone 4S as well as my S3.
    Forum Member
    I had a problem with mine, call 0800 328 6081 and speak to the warranty support people, explain everything and they are usually brilliant and will send you a link to order your replacement straight away.

I've dealt with them and they were very helpful so I'd recommend giving that a try. It's not normal behaviour from this phone and it should be covered under the warranty. You'll have to send the old device back within a set time period though.

And they put a £150 or £199 hold on your card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats the number I tried, I will try again later tho, thx for that.

@Stiggles - its not a bad rattle no, but its there and doesn't instil much confidence, I could get a bumper case and see if that eliminates the problem but I'd rather just have one that didnt rattle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be worth adding that I have a bumper on mine and have never experienced this "rattling" with it on.
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing about this before when i looked it up a while back as i said mine does it as well.

Google throws up a few things about it:-

http://www.imasuper.com/2013/02/27/rattling-noise-coming-from-your-lg-nexus-4-dont-worry-thats-by-design/

Seems its the sim card holder!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems i'm not alone then judging by that article!

According to some of the comments its the camera's autofocus mechanism....strange it should rattle on some nexus 4's and not others tho...oh well i guess i'll just live with it.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    dont worry OP - in a few weeks the sides will start to creak and the volume or power buttons are loose.

common complaints along with rattle
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    dont worry OP - in a few weeks the sides will start to creak and the volume or power buttons are loose.

mine is doing neither
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sides bottom of mine creaks when squeezed, my earphone plug wont go all the way in the headphone jack, and when I shake to phone to my ear, I can hear a little rattle from the camera area. Build quality on the N4 is not great.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine doesn't rattle at all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every camera phone I've ever owned has had some degree of rattle that seems to come from the camera lens. So I assumed it was normal.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much noise can a slim slot make?

Is it a feel when shaken rather than noise?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had the Nexus 4 nearly 8 weeks now and have had very little problems with mine.
    Its so far one of the best phone I have ever had.

Darren
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Mine is fine, and the couple of people I know that got a N4 and had it longer than me also don't have any problems.

I don't hear any rattling either, but then I have got a case on mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed this comment on a nexus 4 rattle youtube video "actually it IS the camera. It's the autofocus module. When I called up google the rep said themselves that it's already a reported issue and I'm allowed an RMA without question."

In some other guys video his replacement phone had the same thing. :rolleyes:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    my earphone plug wont go all the way in the headphone jack,
    But does it work and give you L/R channels? I've tried a few connections and they do vary in fit.
    I haven't had any issues with mine.

I was wondering if there at no 8GB models left and I guess not masses of 16GB, how much stock do they keep for replacements?
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be the little mechanism inside the phone that causes the phone to vibrate that is giving you the rattling noise. That's what was determined when my old S2 started making those noises.
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    But does it work and give you L/R channels? I've tried a few connections and they do vary in fit.
    I haven't had any issues with mine.

I was wondering if there at no 8GB models left and I guess not masses of 16GB, how much stock do they keep for replacements?
    headphone jacks a only fit 3/4 the way in. I now use Bluetooth headphones with it.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked. No rattle on my Nexus 4. Had it for several months.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    common creaking zones are if you squeeze the oustide frame around the top of the volume or power buttons , headhone jacks and sometimes near the USB.

May be early phones had this. Mine does and it was a early model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I'm getting a buzzing noise in the ear piece when I make calls....replacement is on its way, hopefully I'll be able to unroot the damn thing and restore factory settings