Going to a gig alone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im a big MKS/Siobhan Donaghy fan, and they are playing in Glasgow next month. None of my friend's are fans and know nothing about them. Iv asked a couple of them if they fancy coming with me and none are keen :(. Would it be weird to go alone? Iv been to gigs before and would never dream of going by myself, but I would just really love to see them live :(

Comments

• chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to shows alone all the time

I dont get people who dont wanna go to a show or movie alone , you either have to scream for your friends to hear or at the movies you dont say a word to them

Its great to have someone to talk about it after the show and stuff but during the show you dont really talk with anyone
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do this all the time. Been to 4 this year alone with another coming in December. If you want to go, you should. You will end up talking to the people around you anyway and have a blast.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would find it weird. I cant anyway because I have cerebral palsy and in a wheelchair so I go with either my sister or my pals. But even if I wasn't disabled I would find it odd coz when im at a gig with my pals we feed off each other's excitement and dance and jump around together but when you're on your own it would feel strange and silly. but then I suppose if I wasn't disabled and really desperate then I would
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't care. You're in a crowd. No one there gives a shit about you or even looks at you.

Go and have a good time.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think you can get away with going to the cinema alone, but not a concert. You want someone you know, in order to get into the atmosphere of the night. You need someone to share it with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the different opinions. Im gonna buy 2 tickets and try and convince someone to come with me, and if not il go alone :)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the different opinions. Im gonna buy 2 tickets and try and convince someone to come with me, and if not il go alone :)

If you feel comfortable going alone, then by all means do, don't waste your money if you are unable to get someone to come with you in that time frame.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Go alone! You'll have a great time. If you're worried what people think - the people on the right of you will think you're part of the group on your left and the people on the left of you will think you're part of the group on your right anyway!
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've been to a few gigs by myself. I doubt anyone cares if someone's at a gig by themselves, most people are far too busy watching the show and taking in the music to notice the people around them. Plus you can't really tell if a person is on their own once the crowd gets going. I attended an Imogen Heap gig a few years ago on my own and ended up hanging out with her at the bar after the show. My friend who was planning to come to the gig with me was super p!ssed :D
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been to gigs on my own. Basically, if I like the artist or band enough, then I'm going to see them whether someone else comes with me or not!

It is all a matter of personal taste I suppose, but if the band is good enough then it doesn't matter whether you are alone as the whole crowd gets caught up in the atmosphere.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got to gigs with my lad and his mates and they do their thing and I do mine, we don't spend the gig together
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to lots of gigs on my own. It's really not a problem, lots of people go on their own. I always get chatting to the people around me, in the queue or wherever I'm standing or sitting - you're all there for the same reason so you have something in common from the start and people are generally in a positive mood so just be friendly.

Are there any fan forums, facebook pages or the like? If so, join up, you might find some people who are going to the same gig.

This is only an issue if it's a seated gig, because obviously if someone does decide they want to come, you'll want to be sitting together. If you're going to stand, don't worry about it: just get your ticket and let the other person get theirs as and when. I've often done this and had someone tag along at the last minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, it's an age thing - when I was in my late teens, I had no problem going to concerts alone. However, over 10 years later, I would not do it.

If anything it should be the other way around - ie I should be less inhibited being older.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    i think you can get away with going to the cinema alone, but not a concert. You want someone you know, in order to get into the atmosphere of the night. You need someone to share it with.

ridiculous. thats not the same for everyone. ive gone to plenty alone and enjoyed them all just as much. the people around you create the atmosphere

i dont mind going alone to a big concert hall that i know well and know i wont get lost. im going to the 02 acadamy next week in leeds and could only go if i knew people who were going.as if i went on my own i wouldnt know my way around
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it all the time. I love it. It actually gives me an opportunity to meet people. I have actually become friends with people i have met at gigs and then met them at other gigs.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really like the band/artist, it's better to go on your own than to not go just because you haven't got anyone to go with!

About 18 months ago I met up with an old friend at the gig venue, but when the concert actually started she and her other friends wanted to squeeze right into the middle of the crowd whereas I was more comfortable at the edge - so I ended up being alone for the actual music anyway, and still really enjoyed it as it was my favourite band!
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would find it weird. I cant anyway because I have cerebral palsy and in a wheelchair so I go with either my sister or my pals. But even if I wasn't disabled I would find it odd coz when im at a gig with my pals we feed off each other's excitement and dance and jump around together but when you're on your own it would feel strange and silly. but then I suppose if I wasn't disabled and really desperate then I would

You can still do this, but with strangers.

I think most people just feel uncomfortable because it's not the normal convention to do these things on your own. But what is wrong with going to a resturant, cinema or music gig on your own? They aren't really social events. You don't need someone else to enjoy them as they are events.
  • wilpeepwilpeep Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I go to the cinema alone sometimes. I don't get why it's seen as so weird. It's not a social event because you don't talk during the movie. Plus there's a lot of movies I like that my friends wouldn't like, so it's nice to go alone rather than feel like you're dragging someone along.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madness were playing in Northampton the other week which I wanted to go too but no one could come with me so I didn't bother going,although I've seen them afew times before I regret not going on my own :cry:

So from now on I'm gonna man up and go on my own to gigs :D
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you really like the band/artist, it's better to go on your own than to not go just because you haven't got anyone to go with!

So true. I could weep when I think of all the gigs I missed before it occurred to me that I didn't need someone to go with!
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I think most people just feel uncomfortable because it's not the normal convention to do these things on your own.

Until you realise that far more people go by themselves than is the common perception.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous to even think twice about this, you are there to enjoy the artist and the music on stage, who cares if you are on your own?!
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to loads of gigs on my own. If anything I prefer it, because I like to wait in the queue for a while (if it's standing) so I can get to the front, and no one I know is as big a fan as the artists I go watch live as I am, so half the time I just end up worrying if my friend's enjoying themselves or not. When I'm on my own at a concert I know I can just enjoy myself without having to worry about anybody else. You can also get talking to other people there as well, which I do quite a lot.

I did go to Download Festival with a small group of friends which was really good, but a festival is a much different experience than a normal gig. I definitely wouldn't go to a festival on my own.
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost went to a gig alone this year but found someone to go with ladt minute. I was fully pprepared to go it alone - everyone's there for the same reason and enjoying the music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I would definitely go. Stupid to pass things up just because nobody wants to do them with you, you'd regret missing them.:)
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at certain gigs i prefer to go alone as i like to get down the front row which means getting there early and standing for hours before the main band, and you can't pee or go to the bar, and not everyone is that hardcore and people can hold you back from getting the best spot

thing is, you usually end up meeting other people at gigs anyway. you have something in common with all the punters. i've met a few long time friends through meeting at gigs. not just in the uk either