- The KELIS Appreciation Thread -

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her record sales are average really. I mean so is Robyns comparatively. But still their tours have been successful too conjoined! and they have performed at small venues etc and festivals across Europe and the US.

I hope she does another dance record....but literally, you could feel Flesh Tone came from the heart! just wish it was as commercially successful as it was critically!

Hope she really gets herself out there when she releases a future album! she had material left over apparently! and of course with a child to look after too it restricts things sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't really do much promoting for FleshTone besides her tour with Robyn, which was a shame. Chris Moyles would've love to have interviewed her, as he loved Acapella (I think the whole of Radio 1 did actually). Shame though, because IMO FleshTone is her best album, and is one of my many favourites.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil Star was a classic, I loved her husky voice, and I bought Kelis was Here on the strength of it,but I hated Acapella
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    She didn't really do much promoting for FleshTone besides her tour with Robyn, which was a shame. Chris Moyles would've love to have interviewed her, as he loved Acapella (I think the whole of Radio 1 did actually). Shame though, because IMO FleshTone is her best album, and is one of my many favourites.

it is such an anthem!

And yeah gutted there wasnt much promotion for the album :(

And yeah as an overall album, no filler or anything. While i love ehr other albums BUT there wasnt that consistency with the entire albums. But i love the ones I own. But Flesh Tone is an absolute monster!! love it. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a listen to Flesh Tone now, for some reason I didn't like it when I first heard it, but I love it now :confused:

Will definitely need to check out her earlier albums at this rate:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emancipate Yourself!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was super cool and now i am super Strong!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairly recent interview with Kelis here. Her next album is on the way! Early 2012. Big excitement for this, expecting another incredible yet under-rated album. Hoping we get more info soon like a lead single/album title.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelis releasing in 2012 too!

Oh my lawwwwd! I hope i can fork out for all my faves! Damn!

Madonna, Lana, Kylie, Emeli, No DOubt, Fleetwood, Janelle x2, and now Kelis...all i need now is another Kate Bush release and i am in heaven!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know! It's so exciting. As much as I love Kelis' music, I don't think the other ladies have to worry about a major chart threat from Kelis. Normally she has a pretty solid lead single that'll creep into the top 15 and then she'll scrape the top 40 and then sort of fail to set the charts alight. It doesn't matter because Kelis isn't really a commerical artist and that's why I love her. She does her own thing, finds a niche and makes incredible music. Flesh Tone still sounds fresh and incredible 2 years on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only threat she is is in musical style! Kelis pretty much OWNED 2010 with her intense Dance grooves! Fleshtone is incredible!...that The ArchAndroid, Maya and Body Talk were the albums of 2010!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clever/brave from Kelis she has moved away from the majors and has signed with british independent label 'ninja tune'..although she will sell less its a great label with a unique sound they will give her more freedom. i'm looking forward to hearing her new material.
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/dec/12/kelis-signs-ninja-tune-food
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title for her next album "Food" is something i have been hearing for 2 years. I originally thought it was some name someone edited on wikipedia to be funny but clearly not

Can't wait though
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerk Ribs isn't really doing it for me.
    Wish she would do a continuation of the Fleshtone sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know much about Kelis until the World Cup. Then the BBC used what I thought was a really cool song as the background music to a Thierry Henry analysis of the French team. I didn't know what the song was so after a bit of Googling I found it was 'Rumble' by Kelis.
    I've since bought the 'Food' album. Apart from Rumble, 'Friday Fish Fry' is my favourite track. It seemed to go down well at Glastonbury too :)
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her an amazing artist but I have to admit i only know the obvious singles.
    I am tempted to buy some of her back catalogue though. i like Jerk ribs:)

The stuff from the beginning looks very good though-just watched Get along with you, it seems so futuristic for the time, was too young then to pick up on it lol