Office 2013 vs Office 365

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although I understand that Office 2013 is "traditional" in the sense of it being a downloaded or installed package on your own computer. With Office 365 am I correct in assuming that nothing is installed on your computer and you have to access the programs via an internet connection?

Startup speed, guessing that 365 would be slower as it relies upon a slower (than HDD or SDD transfer rate) to launch the apps.

Features - are the base programs the same or is 365 slightly cut down?

Being a student am able to get both at very reasonable prices, however not sure which is best!

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Office 365 is a subscription and if you plan renewing it it's fine, but once it's expired you have nothing.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Although I understand that Office 2013 is "traditional" in the sense of it being a downloaded or installed package on your own computer. With Office 365 am I correct in assuming that nothing is installed on your computer and you have to access the programs via an internet connection?

Startup speed, guessing that 365 would be slower as it relies upon a slower (than HDD or SDD transfer rate) to launch the apps.

Features - are the base programs the same or is 365 slightly cut down?

Being a student am able to get both at very reasonable prices, however not sure which is best!

Your assumptions are incorrect.

The Home Premium subscription comes with 5 installs of Office for any compatible device, Office gets locally installed to the PC.

There is also a feature called Office on Demand that lets you use Microsoft's click-to-run technology to temporarily install a copy for use and gets immediately uninstalled when you stop using it, it has in some places been described as "streaming" the copy over the internet. The Office on demand feature is for when you want to access your files on a friend's pc who doesn't have office (it automatically does the settings to connect to your skydrive too).

The only think you should think about is the pricing. £x for a single copy that you can use forever. £x a year for a subscription with some more flexibility. Which suits you more - paying more now and using that copy for a long time or pay ing less now but paying more in the long run but always having the latest version.

The other difference is that the O365 version gives you access, publisher and outlook too.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing is that updates are applied automatically with Office 365, and you always get the latest version of the software when it's released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I have a free upgrade offer having bought Office 2010 home and business recently.

I am having trouble deciding whether to go with with Office 2013 upgrade or the office 365 upgrade.

My gut feeling is having spent ~150GBP a couple of months ago getting a office 365 for a year and then needing to spend another 75GBP annually is a poor deal.

I can see the attraction of going the 365 route for new licenses, and multiple machine upgrades.

Interested in others thoughts or whether I am missing something.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're probably not missing anything. Unless you have a compelling reason to keep up to date with MS then if you already have Office 2010 I see no merit in either of the Office offerings. The perpetual one is a worse deal than Office 2010, i.e., can only install on one machine. I hate it when vendors reduce functionality in that way, but I guess MS is trying to push the subscription model. Maybe if it doesn't succeed they'll rethink their strategy.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a free upgrade offer having bought Office 2010 home and business recently.

I am having trouble deciding whether to go with with Office 2013 upgrade or the office 365 upgrade.

My gut feeling is having spent ~150GBP a couple of months ago getting a office 365 for a year and then needing to spend another 75GBP annually is a poor deal.

I can see the attraction of going the 365 route for new licenses, and multiple machine upgrades.

The 365 one is useful if you have a need for the applications in office professional which aren't in your current version e.g. access and publisher, the 365 one is useful if you want to put office on multiple computers or PCs and Macs, if you upgrade your computers regularly etc etc.

Also, when Office comes to iOS and Android, 365 will be the only way to get it.