How much do athletes get paid per medal?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
Forum Member
Believe it or not I didn't actually know that they get paid for winning a medal until the Olympics started, but I was just wondering, how much is it that they get paid?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some countries olympic commitees pay out some money but the actual olympics itself does not

I don't think the UK does but I believe the USA does.
  • EPYEPY Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    I've read that in the US, they get $25,000 for Gold, $15,000 for Silver and $10,000 for Bronze. But I can't find the link that proves this sorry. :( I'm not sure about the UK though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Oh okay, it doesn't matter. I was only wondering anyway. :)
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of them will have sponsorship deals that pay out if they get medals as well.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EPY wrote: »
    I've read that in the US, they get $25,000 for Gold, $15,000 for Silver and $10,000 for Bronze. But I can't find the link that proves this sorry. :( I'm not sure about the UK though...

I'd never heard of that before. But if its true its still only a nominal amount relative to the years of effort put in.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EPY wrote: »

No wonder Phelps is looking so happy!
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    No wonder Phelps is looking so happy!

Oh he stands to make enough money that that will be meaningless to him. He'll make millions with endorsements, books, public appearances, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Isn't Phelps already on a $1m bonus from Speedo if he wins 8 golds?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    Believe it or not I didn't actually know that they get paid for winning a medal until the Olympics started, but I was just wondering, how much is it that they get paid?

I thought I heard today that the S Koreans get $(?)50,000 for a gold.

Edit: during the BBC coverage
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the old days when they pretended to be amateurs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I prefer the old days when they pretended to be amateurs.

A lot of the sports still are. The other guy in synchro diving (ie, not Tom Daley) works in B&Q apparently.

But for the high profile "amateur" events like swimming, track and field... those days are looooooong gone.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Eg Chris Chatterway and Roger Bannister in the 1950s moved onto politics and doctoring after their careers ended. The Olympics used to be more like the University Games
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russia bonuses for Olympic medal winners

...the committee has proposed raising the bonus to US$100,000 (€64,000) for gold medal winners, US$60,000 (€38,000) for silver medal winners and US$40,000 (€25,000) for bronze.

The Russian government has been rewarding medal winners since the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, giving US$50,000 to gold medal winners, US$20,000 to silver medal winners and US$10,000 to bronze medal winners.

British Bonuses

In athletics all British medal winners in Beijing will be given an Alfa Romeo of their choice after UK Athletics, the governing body, signed a sponsorship deal with the car maker.

Gold, silver and bronze medallists in track and field will also be given cash awards (£5,000 for gold, £4,000 for silver and £3,000 for bronze) paid for by Norwich Union. A third sponsor will ensure that athletes will be able to toast their success by supplying magnums of gold, silver and pink champagne.
  • dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Isn't Phelps already on a $1m bonus from Speedo if he wins 8 golds?

Better than that he 'only' needed 7 to equal Spitz, although I think he made $6m last year so he's not short of a bob or two.
  • Lila RoseLila Rose Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    How much does Bolt stand to make, approx?