Broadband and phone not working

Dom McGlincheyDom McGlinchey Posts: 283
Forum Member
Both my broadband and phone aren't wworking. I've been having problems with my broadband the last few days - it seems to take longer to load having previously been almost instantaneous. Trouble is it's a Toshiba c660 which doesn't link to wifi, hence I am dragging a 3 metere ethernet cable everywhere.
I think I am damaging the socket where the ethernet cable goes as sometimes if I fiddled the cable about it would load. I bought a new cable and the same thing happened so it isn't the cable at fault.
Then since last night it doesn't load at all, what's more the phone itself no longer has a tone and cannot make or receive calls. I think the router socket has been damaged by the pulling around as the cable doesn't fit in well. Would this also disrupt the phone service?

I'm with talktalk and have e-mailed them my mobile number but would like others' opinions or experiences in the meantime.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unplug the filter from the phone socket. Plug a corded phone into the socket by itself. If you get dial tone then plug the filter back in but with the router unplugged. If you still have dial tone plug the router in. If that kills the dial tone then the router is the likely cuase.

If you do not get dial tone with just the phone plugged in and have a NTE5 type socket unscrew the lower section and plug just the phone into the test socket that is revealed behind the faceplate. If there is no dial tone there you have a line fault. If you do get dial tone then the fault is either with the faceplate or any extension wiring you have.

If the router is a suspect try using a different cable from it to the phone line if possible. A short on that cable can easily stop the line working.If the cable is damaged then it is possible it would stop the line working all by itself. So try it with just the cable plugged in.

Also if the phone line cable fell out of the router make sure it is plugged back into the correct socket on the back of the router. it will physically plug into one of the LAN sockets but doing so will kill the line.
  • Dom McGlincheyDom McGlinchey Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    PLEASE anyone know what is going on? Bloody talk talk are making me get an engineer again.

I got a new router but still have the same problems. Interestingly the cordless phone I used alongside the broadband don't work but the corded phone I use in emergencies does work from the same socket, however the broadaband still won't.

I'm convinced all the rpoblmes stem from having to use cabled internet because my bloody toshiba c660 won't do wifi for some unfathomable reason.

One of the talk talk 'technical support' said the voltage was too high in the socket after doing a check. What does that mean?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Toshiba C660, if it’s the current model that’s been on sales for quite awhile now does have Wifi so this needs turning on and setting up unless it’s a very, very, very old model.

Not got the Tosh 660 myself but my Tosh is similar too the current model, if not the same keyboard so to turn Wifi on you press and hold the FN key (found in the bottom left-hand side of the keyboard) and press the F8 key (shows a antenna with waves coming from it) on the top line of the keyboard. If you hold the FN key down then press the F8 key it toggles Wifi on and off on each press so only press it once and if it don’t work start again. After doing the button procedure wait a half a minute or so for software to kick in or you risk turning the Wifi back off while the laptop still trying to start from your last button press.

I know it sounds complicated but its not and I too had this problem with turning Wifi on and off on my Toshiba until I realised what was going on.

You should have the Wifi icon showing on the taskbar in the bottom right-hand corner, click on it, select your network and enter your password for your network.

If the Wifi not working on the Tosh then it needs attention but first make sure the Wifi drivers are up to date as this can cause problems too as it did on my granddaughters Toshiba that was brought last year, brand new out of the box but would not work until the drivers were updated.:mad:
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLEASE anyone know what is going on? Bloody talk talk are making me get an engineer again.

I got a new router but still have the same problems. Interestingly the cordless phone I used alongside the broadband don't work but the corded phone I use in emergencies does work from the same socket, however the broadaband still won't.
    I'm convinced all the rpoblmes stem from having to use cabled internet because my bloody toshiba c660 won't do wifi for some unfathomable reason.

One of the talk talk 'technical support' said the voltage was too high in the socket after doing a check. What does that mean?

This line suggests that your microfilter is faulty. Did you plug your corded phone into the socket directly, or into the microfilter?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

They can't make you get an engineer, you have to agree to possible charges beforehand, at least that is how it is meant to go. Join the Forum and post in phone support .... they will ask you to do most of what chrisjr said in post #2 .... so if you have not already tried the test socket with just a phone plugged in, that should be the first course of action.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, tellart I plugged the corded phone into both the ordinary socket and the socket when filtered, don't know if this suggests anything.

To recap:

Originally the broadband wouldn't connect intermittantly, but could make it work by jigging the cable around.

Then it didn't work at all.

Then phone didn't work either.

Tried a new router no joy.

Corded phone still works.

Should I jusrt get an engineer out? They were already out last Novemeber and fixed the line, but that turned out to not be the problem with the broadband.

This bloody Toshiba C660 and it's crappy non existant wifi seems to be at the bottom of all this - avoid!!! Tried FN +F8 without success already, it said wifi on but nowt happened.
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a BT socket similar to this one >>>>>>

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/NTE5_all_2.jpg

If so plug just the corded phone......nothing else.....into the test socket which is the socket you can see in the image in the bottom right corner when the lower faceplate is unscrewed.

Do nothing else.

Does the phone work ?......post back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies, tellart I plugged the corded phone into both the ordinary socket and the socket when filtered, don't know if this suggests anything.

To recap:

Originally the broadband wouldn't connect intermittantly, but could make it work by jigging the cable around.

Then it didn't work at all.

Then phone didn't work either.

Tried a new router no joy.

Corded phone still works.

Should I jusrt get an engineer out? They were already out last Novemeber and fixed the line, but that turned out to not be the problem with the broadband.

This bloody Toshiba C660 and it's crappy non existant wifi seems to be at the bottom of all this - avoid!!! Tried FN +F8 without success already, it said wifi on but nowt happened.
    Do the tests I posted way back at the beginning of this thread. That will tell you what is at fault as best as you will be able to.

If you do not do this you cannot say whether the fault is with your incoming line or your internal wiring or some other bit of kit you are responsible for.

Also as said YOU do not get an engineer out. Whoever you pay to provide the service that is faulty gets them out. If they tell you that you have to call BT or whoever then politely tell them to go forth and multiply. It is not your responsibility to do their job for them.

But unless you have actually done some basic fault finding first and have established as far as you are able to that nothing you are responsible for is causing the fault then you could end up with a sizeable bill for any repairs necessary. Only if the fault is completely within the phone network can you be reasonably confident you will not be billed.

And as for the WiFi. Simply turning it on is not enough. You then have to tell it to connect to something. If you have never done that and told it to remember a particular connection then it will just sit there waiting to be told what to do.

And if you have swapped routers but not set the new one up identically to the old one then the laptop will not connect automatically even if it did so for the old one. It doesn't know you've swapped routers.
    Forum Member
    Right, so I have tried the corded phone in both the filtered socket and the socket itself and both times it works fine. unfortunately the cordless one deosn't. So I can rule out the filter as a cause?

I will try and unscrew the panel and see if it fits into the socket supposedly underneath.

I'm sure, given how the problems unfolded, this all stems from my laptop/wifi problems - if that is the case will they charge me if they come out?

The cordless receiver still switches on and the screen on the phone itself still works.
    Forum Member
    Plug the cordless phone base station directly into the test socket without a filter .... if it does not work and a corded phone does then you know the cordless system is broken somewhere.
    I'm sure, given how the problems unfolded, this all stems from my laptop/wifi problems - if that is the case will they charge me if they come out?

Yes, if it is your wiring that is causing the problem .... that's why all your tests should be performed using the test socket as it removes your wiring from the equation.
    The cordless receiver still switches on and the screen on the phone itself still works.
    ..... but gets no signal ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so I have tried the corded phone in both the filtered socket and the socket itself and both times it works fine. unfortunately the cordless one deosn't. So I can rule out the filter as a cause?

I will try and unscrew the panel and see if it fits into the socket supposedly underneath.

That would suggest the cordless phone is not functioning correctly. If you get dial tone with and without a filter then the line is working to some extent.

What type of socket do you have? The older type of master socket have just a single piece faceplate and no test socket behind. That style of socket is still commonly used for extensions however. The more modern master sockets have a two piece faceplate with the lower half removable to reveal the test socket.

As per these images

Old style
    http://www.britishtelephones.com/pictures/lju2.jpg

New style
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/NTE5_fl.jpg

You should also test the line with the corded phone and the router plugged in at the same time. If plugging the router in kills the phone line then there could be a fault with the router.

One thing to check is that the phone cable for the router is not damaged and is plugged into the correct socket on the back of the router. It is possible to plug it into one of the LAN ports which will stop both it and the phone line working properly so worth checking.

If you have access to an alternative known good working computer then try that instead of your laptop. If that cannot make any connection to the internet then your router may be at fault.

Again if you have a friend, family member or neighbour with broadband see if you can borrow their router and plug it into your line. It may not connect to the internet but the broadband light should come on to indicate a working ADSL signal is present. You could also try your router on their line to see if you get similar problems.

Basically you need to eliminate as far as is practical your kit from the equation. If you do get your ISP or phone provider to send out an engineer and it does turn out to be your kit causing the problem then you are very likely to be charged.

And be aware that a phone engineer won't necessarily fix faults with ADSL and vice versa. So you also need to be certain which part of the service is actually at fault or you could again be facing a call out charge.
    Forum Member
    Just an update:

I think the answer to my problems may be the phone - phoned up BT regarding the cordless phone and it isn't working. Attempted a reboot and after getting a dialling tone for a second or two it vanished again.

Can this be the root of all my problems? Can I just buy a new cordless phone and get access again?

How come the corded phone won't enable the broadband to work?

btw the connections and everything are fine and correctly in place, never had any problems with the router on my old laptop. The lack of wifi connection on the Toshiba c660 is messing everything up.

Can I just attempt to get wifi connection via an adapter from the c660? If so, which is the best brand?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried plugging just the router into the line with NO phone at all connected. If you have extensions also unplug any phones in those as well.

If you do not get any ADSL signal on the router then that suggests the phones are not the cause of the problems. If you do get an ADSL signal plug a phone into the filter along with the router. Does the ADSL signal stay up or does it die? If it dies then possibly the filter is faulty, throw it away and get a new one, if the new one also doesn't work then it's possible you have a line fault.

And if you do have extensions check the filters on any extension phones, Sky box, FAX machine or anything else plugged into the line. Any of those could be affecting the ADSL signal. That is another reason for performing tests using the test socket behind the removable panel on an NTE5 style master socket. When you remove the panel it also disconnects your house wiring so you can test with just the incoming line connected.

Also what make and model of router do you have? It might help us give better advice if we know what you are using. It is very unlikely that a loose plug in a LAN socket on the back of the router is going to do any harm to the ADSL connection. Since most routers have four sockets you can always plug into another one to see if that makes a difference. (if there is only one socket then chances are it's a modem and not a router you have).
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The lack of wifi connection on the Toshiba c660 is messing everything up.

You seem to be distracted from identifying the cause by your concern with the lack of wifi on the laptop. Forget wifi until you have a consistent connection using an ethernet cable.

Solve one problem at a time.

Get to a point where you have a voice connection at the test socket.

Then add the filter with just the phone still using just the test socket.

Then add the router still using the test socket.

Then replace the faceplate and add just the corded phone.

Then add the filter with the phone.

Then add the router.

If at any stage the broadband or voice isn't there then stop.

Structured troubleshooting will identify the cause but don't get distracted.
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Just an update: now the corded phone doesn't work either!

Also, I have attempted to connect both phones via the test socket for the first time and still it didn't work.

Have I now run out of options and need to phone for an engineer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Also, I have attempted to connect both phones via the test socket for the first time and still it didn't work.

To be absolutely certain you need to check your corded phone does actually work. If at all possible try it elsewhere, eg a friend, family member or neighbour who's line you know works. Though it is reasonable to think you do have a line fault.

If the phone service isn't working then you should contact whoever you pay line rental to and raise a fault with them. And only talk to them, no-one else. If you are not with BT then they can be a bit reluctant at first so be persistent. it is their job to get faults fixed not yours.

But this might not sort out the broadband issues. A phone engineer will not check the broadband service so once you've got voice service back you may still need to sort out the broadband. However there is a chance fixing one will fix the other. So get the phone service restored first then, if necessary, sort out the broadband. Don't try to get both sorted at the same time as the each side may trip over the other.
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

So you were able to connect them without a filter to the test socket behind the removable cover and they still didn't work ?. If you verify the corded phone works elsewhere then you have a line fault.

Info and more already posted by chrisjr above.
    Forum Member
    It turns out I and everyone else was wrong as the fault lies with an external telegraph pole connection two streets away!

BT open reach are taking forever to get it sorted...

I need one more important piece of advice: since my laptop will still have problems with wifi even once this whole charade is over, can I circumnavigate this by using an adapter pluged into the laptop instead? And, if so, can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced one?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    It turns out I and everyone else was wrong as the fault lies with an external telegraph pole connection two streets away!

I don't see how you can say that, you have a line fault which was the point of using the test socket with a known working phone.
    As far as a wireless adapter goes they are much of a muchness, I bought one of these a while ago which works well enough.
    Having said that I would advise you to wait until your connection is working properly again and then try to get your wireless working on the laptop .... it may be something very easy like a driver needing updating.
    Forum Member
    I'm still having problems...

The engineers fixed the external line and that enabled the corded phone to work again - unfortunately the cordless one still doesn't.

I bought a new cordless to see if it was due to the model and the new one doesn't have any signal either. Here's the strange bit however - it does actually ring when you phone it.
    Tried connecting it by itself to the socket (bypassing the filter etc) and still no joy. And of course still no broadband.

What the hell is going on? I've been without broadband for two months now and this is actually a real pain in the arse now.
    Forum Member
    I've been without broadband for two months now and this is actually a real pain in the arse now.
    I can imagine.
    Tried connecting it by itself to the socket
    I presume you mean the Test Socket ?
    I bought a new cordless to see if it was due to the model and the new one doesn't have any signal either. Here's the strange bit however - it does actually ring when you phone it.
    Yes that would be strange, if there is no signal from the base to the handset, then it would not be able to ring.
    The engineers fixed the external line and that enabled the corded phone to work again - unfortunately the cordless one still doesn't.
    There is no reason (that I can think of) why a corded phone will work and not a cordless.
    Have you tried plugging the router into the test socket to see can you get broadband ?

You don't say how you are communicating with TalkTalk but if you are not using the forum, as I mentioned earlier I would advise you to sign up there. Also on your 'my account' you should have the current status about your problem showing somewhere.