Beach Boys night on BBC4 - 30 Nov, 2100

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
COuple of Beach Boys doccos tonight - Sounds of the 70s on now as I type this..proving why TOTP19xx needs to stay on air...

Comments

• marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking forward to the Beach Boys - I love these BBC4 Fridays.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup- agree there!
    PVR rolling - although I'm sure I'll probably rewatch off iPlayer as it's easier...

Beeb showing everyone else how it's done... again...
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have retired 30 years ago
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't all these Beach Boy programmes 2nd repeats?

Why not do Robert Palmer or some others for a change?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope - this is a new one.
    OK - so That's Why God Made The Radio was in R2's A playlist for a good long time... and it may seem as though they had covered all this with a Jools special..

Ooh - found Dad's old compilation on Discogs - http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Greatest-Hits/release/457144 - the number of times I played that on the old Micro turntable.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish they would do a robert palmer one as its 10 years next year since his death, also there is gonna be a status quo night and a slade night on bbc four very soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One idea would be to do a CHic/Power Station night. This would cover Palmer as part of the whole thing..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are those classic OGWT camera angles I'm seeing on the Knebworth footage?
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this Knebworth gig.

The Beach Boys always were and still are, in their old age, magnificent.

Robert Palmer? :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish they would do a robert palmer one as its 10 years next year since his death, also there is gonna be a status quo night and a slade night on bbc four very soon

Digressing

Robert Palmer is credited for making the first ever music video, when there was nowhere to show it.
    It was "Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" in 1974.

I found a single VHS copy of a compilation of all his music videos in the reduced to clear bin for £2.99 in HMV about ten years ago.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beach Boys are the best! :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Dennis, not a good idea to upset Charles Manson!
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Brilliant Beach Boys.
    One of the greatest pop groups ever.
    Period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Damn missed it, I'll have to watch them on iPlayer.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great telly. There was and still is something very special about the Boys. Incredible talent in writing, arranging and performing. After a string of mediocre recordings, they came up with two of their best ever albums, Surf's Up and Holland which I still listen to today. Sheer brilliance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Great telly. There was and still is something very special about the Boys. Incredible talent in writing, arranging and performing. After a string of mediocre recordings, they came up with two of their best ever albums, Surf's Up and Holland which I still listen to today. Sheer brilliance.

I still prefer this one a nice relaxing "summer song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9bmdmSityI
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member

After a string of mediocre recordings?
    I don't think so!
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a string of mediocre recordings?
    I don't think so!

Oh yes. I don't mean those fantastic hits of the early/mid 60's, they were (and remain) some of the best songs in the world. I'm talking about the stuff that came after Pet Sounds. Albums like Friends, Wild Honey and Sunflower were definitely way off their normal standard (although each tended to contain one or two good songs), and things only improved with Surf's Up and Holland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes. I don't mean those fantastic hits of the early/mid 60's, they were (and remain) some of the best songs in the world. I'm talking about the stuff that came after Pet Sounds. Albums like Friends, Wild Honey and Sunflower were definitely way off their normal standard (although each tended to contain one or two good songs), and things only improved with Surf's Up and Holland.

The problem with a lot of artists is that they want to "move on" from what attracted their loyal following in the first place, but their fans are unwilling to come with them. Eventually, the appeal of their original work becomes as much about nostalgia than anything else.

There are few artists who can take all their admirers with them.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Quite moving to see how they're all still devastated by what happened to Dennis.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this Knebworth gig.

The Beach Boys always were and still are, in their old age, magnificent.

Robert Palmer? :yawn:

I love the Beach Boys, even though I 'missed' the era myself (I wasn't born until 1967!) but I was totally born at the wrong time because my tastes lie firmly in the 60s when it comes to music! I'd never seen the 1980 concert before - so good, what good singers and players they still were in 1980, still in their late 30s/early 40s of course, so no reason to think they couldn't still pull of performing... but those harmonies, wow. You'd never believe they could reproduce them so well live.

R.I.P. Dennis and Carl.
    Brilliant Beach Boys.
    One of the greatest pop groups ever.
    Period.

^^ This. There's no doubt they could sing. Such a shame Brian's voice and/or ability to perform was never quite what it was before, and the loss of Carl was a huge blow (his voice was amazing) but the remaining BBs can still get out there and wow the crowds, and if the audience is there and want to pay the money to see them, then why not? They are part of the oldest generation of performers from the 60s still performing, so the rules are still being written as to when it's time to give up!
    Quite moving to see how they're all still devastated by what happened to Dennis.

A fantastic documentary. I've actually got a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue given to me by a DJ friend a few years ago - I'd never heard any of the tracks until I played it the first time, They mentioned in the documentary that it has been re-issued relatively recently, but there was a period of time between its initial release and the recent re-issue when you couldn't get a copy anywhere for love, only for extortionate amounts of money on the second-hand market (the surviving BBs blocked any re-issue for years, I believe) and so for a time I was sitting on a copy of something that was worth quite a lot of money to serious BB/Dennis fans at one point!

Dennis was an amazing drummer! I just thought it was so sad to hear the marked deterioration in his voice between the 1980 concert and nearer his death only three years later - so young, and yet he'd put his voice through so much through his lifestyle that there was no way back. :(
  • RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I think it happened half way through the show, between Help Me Rhonda and I Get Around, but did anyone notice the look and then a gentle piece of advice from Al Jardine to Brian Wilson as if to say 'What on earth are you playing', next to him on keyboards.....

I kept rewinding the scene trying to work out what was going on...
  • RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    RINGWAYMAN wrote: »
    I think it happened half way through the show, between Help Me Rhonda and I Get Around, but did anyone notice the look and then a gentle piece of advice from Al Jardine to Brian Wilson as if to say 'What on earth are you playing', next to him on keyboards.....

I kept rewinding the scene trying to work out what was going on...

This was of course during the Knebworth concert. (doh!)