Kindle Fire HD or other tablet?

DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter would like a Kindle Fire, primarily for books but also twitter facebook and youtube. I don't know a lot about these devices but is the Kindle fire HD the best buy or should I consider the Google Nexus ?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kindle Fire is very good, but is closely tied to the Amazon website for content. This may be a good thing or a bad thing.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Probably better off with the Nexus 7 as you can use the Play Store for what you want or Amazons Store - best of both worlds.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Think I shall opt for the Nexus 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I've just sent my fire hd back, I couldn't stand it! I'd say anything but the fire hd. and thats from a kindle lover!
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There also a Nexus 10" model, obviously rather more expensive though.

If she's going to be doing much typing then perhaps a Chromebook or a small conventional laptop might be a better option.
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I've just sent my fire hd back, I couldn't stand it! I'd say anything but the fire hd. and thats from a kindle lover!

But why?
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »

I love mine. each to their own.

mastanlem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But why?

I did write a full evaluation on my other thread, but in general, it felt like a big phone. Rather than a little extra that'd I expect froma tablet. It was clunky and not intuitive. I couldn't find tings like downloads easily. The App Store is really limited (more so than I'd expected) and didn't load well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I'd go for the iPad. Its maybe a bit more expensive but I just dont like the android tablets, theyre not nice to use. And Kindle seems a bit too stripped down.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to tescos and try the kindles out. I got my son a basic fire, yep its a bit clunky and your locked into the amazon if i had the extra money I would have got the fire HD or the nexus. But for him its great, books, games, watches his videos on it, netflix, my plex server works on it.

what i like about it, its really easy to lock down with parental controls, and setting his own amazon account with no credit card assigned and I just load it with a gift card now and again.

not having the full google play store is a but of a bummer though, as some games he wants are not in the amazon one.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter would like a Kindle Fire, primarily for books but also twitter facebook and youtube. I don't know a lot about these devices but is the Kindle fire HD the best buy or should I consider the Google Nexus ?

I was given a Kindle Fire for my birthday, I was actually very delighted with it. Great for twitter, facebook, youtube and also good for catch up TV (iBBC IPLAYER) but the only downside is it's tied to Amazon plus you can't add any browsers. You have to use the one built in called SILK which works very well I should add.

The Kindle fire is just what your daughter needs but it's a good idea to try one out as suggested. You could go for something better but why spend more money for features that are not required...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member

I'd also suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 range - I'm very satisfied with mine and you're not tied to anyone's limited app store and restrictions either.
    Forum Member
    I was given a Kindle Fire for my birthday, I was actually very delighted with it. Great for twitter, facebook, youtube and also good for catch up TV (iBBC IPLAYER) but the only downside is it's tied to Amazon plus you can't add any browsers. You have to use the one built in called SILK which works very well I should add.

The Kindle fire is just what your daughter needs but it's a good idea to try one out as suggested. You could go for something better but why spend more money for features that are not required...

If you were buying one for yourself though would you pay the same price and get the Nexus 7 or the Kindle Fire HD? I can't see any reason to go the Amazon route.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to choose again I'd still go for a Kindle Fire HD. I have installed Opera and Dolphin via the Good E-Reader Appstore. Silk is perfectly fine though and for a couple of weeks or so it has had an experimental flash player, which seems to work ok.

I think I have a rather jaundiced view of the Nexus. I only really get to use it to sort out problems and it's just not intuitive to me. Husband is a bit of a technophobe and the Nexus is handed to me to "mend" when things go wrong.
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    If I had to choose again I'd still go for a Kindle Fire HD. I have installed Opera and Dolphin via the Good E-Reader Appstore. Silk is perfectly fine though and for a couple of weeks or so it has had an experimental flash player, which seems to work ok.

I think I have a rather jaundiced view of the Nexus. I only really get to use it to sort out problems and it's just not intuitive to me. Husband is a bit of a technophobe and the Nexus is handed to me to "mend" when things go wrong.

That's an interesting point - not thought of the ease of use aspect of the Fire HD.

For myself I like the fact the Nexus 7 does not have any locked down software but I can see how many people would prefer it and probably get more out of it as there is less to go wrong and need to sort out.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

you can download and use dolphin, this also enables you to watch flash stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can download and use dolphin, this also enables you to watch flash stuff.

AH, I shall try that, I wasn't aware of any browsers you can put onto the kindle fire...thank you... :)
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im thinking of purchasing this tablet, 16gb quad core, 1gb ddr3 ram. Anyone got this tablet and, if so, any feedback? I don't want it for games. Thanks.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd also suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 range - I'm very satisfied with mine and you're not tied to anyone's limited app store and restrictions either.

It's an OK tablet, but I don't think it's a very good choice when compared to the Nexus 7.

e.g.

£149 gets you an 8GB Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with a 1024×600 screen and a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU

or...

£159 gets you a 16GB Nexus 7 with a 1280×800 screen and a quad-core A9.

Only £10 more, but you get twice the storage plus a high resolution screen plus a better CPU.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Im thinking of purchasing this tablet, 16gb quad core, 1gb ddr3 ram. Anyone got this tablet and, if so, any feedback? I don't want it for games. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps start your own thread with your question rather than hijacking someone else's :rolleyes:
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy her a Kindle standard for her books and a 10" Android tablet for the other stuff, you can read books on the Android too; you'll get both for less than £170.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    white wrote: »
    I'd go for the iPad. Its maybe a bit more expensive but I just dont like the android tablets, theyre not nice to use. And Kindle seems a bit too stripped down.

Sorry, I'd go along with that. Now that I've had the chance to use both the Kindle Fire HD and a Nexus 7 hands-on, neither compare to the iPad Mini for ease of use and quality. It really is a lovely little device.
    But the iPad is a lot more expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neither compare to the iPad Mini for ease of use and quality.

Quality? :eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    Quality? :eek::eek:

You don't think the iPad is a quality device?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You don't think the iPad is a quality device?

They might cost a small fortune but that doesn't make them a quality item.