Explained something DW to a non-Whovian before?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Have you tried to explain something to a non-Whovian and they just stare at you like you're crazy? I have. I can't eat apples without drawing faces on them with a spoon. My friend was staring at me weird while I put a face on my apple today and so, I attempted to explain to her that it was a DW thing, I tried to tell her about Amelia, and the face on the apple, but afterwards she still just stared at me like I was crazy. O ly Whovians understand the importance of a face on an apple.

Comments

• sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently tried to explain my Sonic Screwdriver universal remote control to my wife...

She really didn't get it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried to explain something to a non-Whovian and they just stare at you like you're crazy? I have. I can't eat apples without drawing faces on them with a spoon. My friend was staring at me weird while I put a face on my apple today and so, I attempted to explain to her that it was a DW thing, I tried to tell her about Amelia, and the face on the apple, but afterwards she still just stared at me like I was crazy. O ly Whovians understand the importance of a face on an apple.

I don't blame her. You can't eat apples unless you've draw faces on them because its what we found out a fictional girl in a TV Show used to do???

It's people like you that give us fans a bad name :D
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    I don't blame her. You can't eat apples unless you've draw faces on them because its what we found out a fictional girl in a TV Show used to do???

It's people like you that give us fans a bad name :D

:D Have to agree! Sounds more OCD that WHO.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    No offence intended, but I think most Whovians would look at you the same way. There's a world of difference between why it would be important to Amy, and to why it would be important to you.
    How much detail did you go into? Did you just say, "the mum of a kid in the show used to draw faces on apples so she would eat them, and I thought that looked like fun, so now I do it", or did you try to explain the time travel and identity-proving parts of the story?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be mean to the OP - if making faces on apples gives him a DW frisson, then let him get on with it! Personally, I put I O U on mine. ;):D

I tend to use phrases that need explaining, and leave my friends and family wondering if I have finally flipped. Such as - I ask my little granddaughter if she wants custard on her fish fingers, which earns me a disapproving look from her parents (not DW fans).

And if anyone says the word "dinosaurs" I always add "on a spaceship!" :o
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Don't be mean to the OP - if making faces on apples gives him a DW frisson, then let him get on with it! Personally, I put I O U on mine. ;):D

I tend to use phrases that need explaining, and leave my friends and family wondering if I have finally flipped. Such as - I ask my little granddaughter if she wants custard on her fish fingers, which earns me a disapproving look from her parents (not DW fans).

And if anyone says the word "dinosaurs" I always add "on a spaceship!" :o

Have a care, Granny, or you'll end up in sheltered accomodation in time for the 50th. "She puts custard on fish fingers! We just can't cope anymore!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I just don't like to eat apples without putting faces on them. I think it makes them more fun.
    Forum Member
    And also, I Love Doctor Who almost as much as family, ok, I am NOT just a fan. I AM A WHOVIAN. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like to eat apples without putting faces on them. I think it makes them more fun.

Do you also only eat pasta if its alphabetti spaghetti? :p

And only finish your veg if your mum puts it on the spoon and says "Here comes the choo choo train"? :D
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really but I have had that feeling of buying a classic DVD and then worry that I've already got it.:D
    Forum Member
    Lulz77 you are being a bully. I tried to share something I thought was fun and you crushed it and laugh at me. That is what bullies do. You are a bully.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit of lighthearted joking. It wasn't bullying. Moving swiftly on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 you are being a bully. I tried to share something I thought was fun and you crushed it and laugh at me. That is what bullies do. You are a bully.

:rolleyes: You sound like the right sort of person for a forum!

I was clearly joking. Sorry if I caused offence.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You sound like the right sort of person for a forum!

I was clearly joking. Sorry if I caused offence.

Not very clearly, imo.

The OP was "clearly" starting a joke thread. Your comments were not about the subject, but about the OP. How is that joking?
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst time to explain something Doctor Who to a non-Whovian was the 1980s. :eek:
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Although my family don't watch and loathe Doctor Who, there have been times when it has come up in conversation where they've wanted me to explain something or another, the first being one of my favourites...

- Why for the love of sanity does the BBC's flagship show feature Peter Kay running around as a giant bogey in a thong?

- Did Rose live or die at the end of Doomsday? My Mum as did a lot of people who don't even watch, seemed to be slightly vaguely bothered about whether or not she was killed off. The looks I got for trying to explain that she was in a parallel world where she could never get back went above the heads of most people I tried explaining it to.

- What was the message from The Face of Boe in Gridlock? My sister needed the entire backlog of Boe's story explained to her when she sat down to watch Series 3 - not easy when you have to include Zoe Wannamaker being a trampoline, cats in wimples and Britney Spear's Toxic being played over the expansion of the sun.

- Catching the end of Journey's End, my sister asked why the hell Rose had returned to go out with a Tate/Tennant mutant, to which she said something like "Am I bovvered, OHYES!!!!"

- How the hell is River Song alive again?! Trying to explain her timeline was hard enough come the end of Series 5 - that is now easy when compared to explaining it Post-Series 6. If I was ever held at gunpoint to try and explain it to a complete newbie, I think the gun might be less painful :p
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not very clearly, imo.

The OP was "clearly" starting a joke thread. Your comments were not about the subject, but about the OP. How is that joking?

i don't think this is intended as a joke thread.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    i don't think this is intended as a joke thread.

Apple faces are clearly a serious business in these parts. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very clearly, imo.

It's clearly not a joke thread. And even if it was, that makes it even more understandable to joke back.

But anyway, I'm not going to argue. I've apologised; I don't see why you feel the need to stir things now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :DIts a man in a blue box ax
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    Have a care, Granny, or you'll end up in sheltered accomodation in time for the 50th. "She puts custard on fish fingers! We just can't cope anymore!"

It's having to remember to open the door for her pet Quark that got them exchanging knowing glances.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    I always get off on doing this little demonstration explaining the Tardis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnKXOGYKM8

"So, which box is larger?................" :cool:
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

Good for you. I've a friend who "fixes" things with his sonic screwdriver. One time we got in a crowded lift that didn't start moving. He got his Sonic out and waved it at the buttons making it do the noise and the lift started up. Some of the people thought he was a bit odd. Actually, he is a bit odd. Who cares?
    Forum Member
    I've had to explain time to someone. :D I HAVE USED WIBBLY WOBBLY TIMEY WHIMEY IN A SENTENCE!!!!:D
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a month I have to talk about time and other stuff mentioned in Einstein's general and special relativity at a social club for people with the same disability as me because a lot of people there just like discussing physics all the time especially about time. I don't feel jealous of anybody having to explain time, it is very confusing to some people especially those who don't have an open mind. I suggest you tell that person to read E=MC squared by Brian Cox I found it very enjoyable and explains a lot of confusing aspects very clearly.