laptop dead?

Was using my Acer Aspire the other eve and suddenly just zapped itself off. Power lights etc all gone. Has happened once before and then booted up again next time I went to use it. This time nothing. The power light is on but screen blank and no sounds of anything clicking. Any tips to try or is it terminal ? :(

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this with or without the charger plugged in? If plugging the charger in makes no difference try removing the battery and running it just on the charger.

If taking the battery out makes the power light go out even with the charger plugged in then the charger may be faulty and what has happened is the battery has simply discharged so much it can no longer run the laptop. If the laptop runs on charger only then there might be a problem with the battery affecting the power supply.

If possible try running the laptop on a different charger (doesn't have to be an identical one as long as the voltage is the same and the current rating is equal or greater). If it works on a substitute charger then that points to your charger as being faulty. Or try your charger on another laptop. If your laptop doesn't work on another charger (and your charger works on another laptop) and there is no battery in then the DC socket on the laptop may be broken or there is some other fault.

Also, if you can, try your battery in another laptop to see if it can power that, or try charging it up in a different laptop. That will tell you if the battery is OK or not. If you do get it charged up then put it back in your laptop and see if it powers it properly.

Basically try substituting bits between your laptop and another to try and narrow down what is faulty, the charger, the battery or the laptop itself.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Unplug the adapter *and* take the battery out. Leave for 15 mins, and try again.

Then try with just the adapter, then just the battery (if you know it is charged).

You could also try to see if the adapter is working, if you have a multimeter.

The screen is absolutely blank is it? No "white on black" writing before Windows boots?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Tried with different power lead and with/without battery in. I can hear the fan start for about 6 seconds then silence. The green power light is showing on the button and on the main console so its getting power but screen just completely black.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance you could plug the laptop into an external monitor or even a TV if you have the appropriate plugs and leads? That might indicate if the laptop is actually working and the screen has died.
    Forum Member
    flicker wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Tried with different power lead and with/without battery in. I can hear the fan start for about 6 seconds then silence. The green power light is showing on the button and on the main console so its getting power but screen just completely black.

Have you had the battery and power lead out at the same time? So the thing can truly reset? If you have always had one or the other power source present, it won't do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Have you had the battery and power lead out at the same time? So the thing can truly reset? If you have always had one or the other power source present, it won't do so.

Ok trying that now thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Any chance you could plug the laptop into an external monitor or even a TV if you have the appropriate plugs and leads? That might indicate if the laptop is actually working and the screen has died.
    I have got a flat screen monitor - what sort of lead would I need to try it / where would ut connect in the laptop?
    Forum Member
    I have got a flat screen monitor - what sort of lead would I need to try it / where would ut connect in the laptop?

If, as you say, when you turn it on, there is no activity from the hard-drive light, and it isn't making its usual "booting noise", then don't bother trying the other screen. It's something more basic than that. If it was just the screen, it would go thru all its usual booting motions, just like normal (only you wouldn't see anything).

TBH, with the fan stopping after a few secs, it sounds like the motherboard isn't even getting going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to find a connector and tried using another screen but as you said it doesn't work! Think I'd best start looking for another laptop! I don't use it much but there are things you just can't do on android mobile phone. :(
    Forum Member
    I managed to find a connector and tried using another screen but as you said it doesn't work! Think I'd best start looking for another laptop! I don't use it much but there are things you just can't do on android mobile phone. :(

As a last resort, you could try a good few hard raps with your knuckles. Might jolt something into place, you never know.

Sometimes things also start working after they cool down a bit. If there's stuff you need off it, you could try the "stick it in the fridge for a hour" thing. Sometimes gets 'em going long enough to get your stuff onto a USB stick. If that does get it going, use your time wisely!