Law & Order SVU Music

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When did five change their custom music intro to SVU. The music on tonights episode different from usual, not keen on it at all, the old one was better.

Comments

• Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say five, do you mean the l+o theme has changed? Because I highly doubt that's up to five. What I can say is that SVU now has the same theme as Criminal intent, which is unusual for two l+o series.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    When did five change their custom music intro to SVU. The music on tonights episode different from usual, not keen on it at all, the old one was better.

Yes the Rob Dougan ones are superb
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say five, do you mean the l+o theme has changed? Because I highly doubt that's up to five. What I can say is that SVU now has the same theme as Criminal intent, which is unusual for two l+o series.

five have their own custom intro mucic to all their law and orders.
    I am saying that they have changed their music intro to SVU, tonights intro is different from their normal custom one. It is completely different from CI

all five's cusom themes are good and compliment the show well, but tonights SVU is weird
  • Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well have to admit, I'm a bit surprised as I just looked on wikipedia + apparently it is Five who changed it. I do like it though, and it fits Criminal Intent very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well have to admit, I'm a bit surprised as I just looked on wikipedia + apparently it is Five who changed it. I do like it though, and it fits Criminal Intent very well.

Five dont like Mike Post for some reason
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a different season.....the episodes on a Thursday are season 5, last nights I assume was season 6. Novack was the ADA so it's between (6-9) and I don't think five have shown 9 yet.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered about this since I started watching them on Five. They also cut the begining speech "(.....These are their stories)"

I sort of assumed that they had bought their series from another country which is why the theme had changed - didn't realise Five actually had their own custom music. Seems very petty and expensive to do this.

I really like the Mike Post music - especially the way they were re-arranged for the three prime shows, it gives the show an identity and I wish they had adapted it for the UK series. I love the way the clarinet and bass guitar do that run back to the main theme in the opening theme to original L&O.

Dick Wolf seems to be very hot on continuity so I'm surprised he's let this go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaggerc1 wrote: »
    It was a different season.....the episodes on a Thursday are season 5, last nights I assume was season 6. Novack was the ADA so it's between (6-9) and I don't think five have shown 9 yet.

Season 7 according to 5's web site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered about this since I started watching them on Five. They also cut the begining speech "(.....These are their stories)"

Dick Wolf seems to be very hot on continuity so I'm surprised he's let this go.
    Five have always done it "their way"
  • GadgieGadgie Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once emailed Five about them changing the titles and music to all of the Law & Order shows, and this was their reply:
    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding Law & Order.

We can confirm that we have created our own opening credits so that both the music and credits are different from those used in America. We made this decision as we felt the credits could be fresher especially compared to the ultra slick looking CSI.

It seems a bit pointless to me and also a lot of effort to go to - would 45 seconds of opening credits really affect a viewer's perception of the entire show?

The new music is "Urban Warfare" by Paul Dinletir. It's the same music used for the new Criminal Intent intro, available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayKFPnJCJE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gadgie wrote: »
    I once emailed Five about them changing the titles and music to all of the Law & Order shows, and this was their reply:

It seems a bit pointless to me and also a lot of effort to go to - would 45 seconds of opening credits really affect a viewer's perception of the entire show?

The new music is "Urban Warfare" by Paul Dinletir. It's the same music used for the new Criminal Intent intro, available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayKFPnJCJE

I think it just confuses people (well it did me anyway) - both Hallmark and Sky have kept the original music and beginning's without a problem.

Why did 5 need to go out on a limb - I don't think the comparison with CSI is necessary or valid. I don't dislike the actual music, I just think the change was unnecessary and a waste of money. Using the same music for CI and SVU defeats the object of Mike Post's rearrangements which I always thought were quite clever - slightly different but always going back to the main theme to show they are sister shows.

Imagine if the BBC had done this, the anti licence brigade would be having a field day (and for once quite rightly).
  • GadgieGadgie Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - it just seems like a waste of money. Presumably when they buy in the episodes the Mike Post theme is included in that, so paying for new music on top of that doesn't make sense. Unless they have to pay extra for the Mike Post theme and they decided to seek out cheaper alternatives.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gadgie wrote: »

Dont know why they changed it, as the one they used previously for CI and SVU worked very well, it was grippy and felt good for the type of show it was.

this new version is very generic, its like lift music

(although I have the mike post music it would have been better than fives decision to change the theme to the one above)
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is just Five. The brand new series of both SVU and CI are airing on Hallmark soon after their US debut as they usually do each summer (as Hallmark have first run on both series) and these still have their different versions of the Mike post original theme.

Of course, Dick Wolf did not stop ITV adding its own (fairly stylish) theme to Law and Order: UK rather than the Mike Post original - although ITV did use that theme in all the promos and trailers.

So that theme has now been on Sky (who show first run of the parent series), Hallmark and ITV - only Five have had a complete downer on it.