what widgets do you use?

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Other than the normal weather, clock,alarm or music player?

I use live soccerscores. Brilliant football app and widget. Initially slightly confusing to set up but really good to track your teams games and get alerts on goals of whatever other games you want to follow.

I now use google keep and it syncs post it notes between mine and wife's phone. Also our calendar linked through Google account keeps synced with one another.

Always on the lookout for interesting apps and widgets that I haven't thought of, so interested in what other people use.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zooper widget. Completely customisable, and sorts my clock/weather/calendar all in one widget.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None.

How come? Just nothing of interest or feel its using too much resources?
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S calender
    Sky news
    BBC news health
    Settings Toggles
    UK bus checker
    Google drive
    YouTube
    What's that song?
    Appy Geek
    Video player
    Google now
    Google search bar
    Customisable beautiful widget that has the weather, clock and calender combined
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Dash Clock widget is just the best widget I have ever used and it is the only one I have on my lock screen. Other than that as I have only one home screen I have a small Beyond Pod widget.

The fact is most midgets are, IMHO, crap. I have tried many over the years.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Post of the month! :D
  • BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Dash Clock widget is just the best widget I have ever used and it is the only one I have on my lock screen. Other than that as I have only one home screen I have a small Beyond Pod widget.

I guess they have many shortcomings...
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    AIX Weather.

On a slight tangent I have just started playing with TSF launcher and that has some quirky widgets :)
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't got many widgets, HD widgets for quick toggles of wifi, bluetooth etc, ever note, Google now, and Google keep. I have dash clock on my lock screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't get having toggles on screen as its so quick to drag top screen down. Unless this doesnt allow that on older androids
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I personally don't get having toggles on screen as its so quick to drag top screen down. Unless this doesnt allow that on older androids

I use a nexus 4 but I use toggles through old habit. Just installed scoccerlive scores. Looks good wish I'd have heard about earlier in the season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come? Just nothing of interest or feel its using too much resources?

To be honest just never really felt the need to use any.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My phone is still running ICS so doesn't have the full range of settings toggles in the top bar.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than the normal weather, clock,alarm or music player?

I use live soccerscores. Brilliant football app and widget. Initially slightly confusing to set up but really good to track your teams games and get alerts on goals of whatever other games you want to follow.

gavo360 wrote: »
    Just installed scoccerlive scores. Looks good wish I'd have heard about earlier in the season.

I prefer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilefootie.wc2010&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwiY29tLm1vYmlsZWZvb3RpZS53YzIwMTAiXQ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will take a look at that other soccer one to compare
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will take a look at that other soccer one to compare

Thats the beauty of the App store, lots of choice, theres something for everyone in the store :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very similar to livescores in how it works other than its missing the widget to monitor just the games you're interested in. In its place having a news widget.
    Ive a feeling I'll stick with livescores but monitoring games today with the other one.

WOnder where it keeps the ref whistle sound as would like to keep that if I uninstall

EDit-found where the sound was and copied it to my sd. Just need to find where standard notification tones go now
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    To be honest just never really felt the need to use any.

Yes, me too. They take up a lot of screen real estate and can any of us truly say we're so busy that we need to save that one second of time to swipe to the app itself? I can see them disappearing soon as having been a passing fad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none. they r crap & use up ram (totaly not needed for a few extra clicks PURE LAZYNESS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well. Each to their own. Possibly if you have limited ram to start with then I guess best not used. Seem to work fine on mine for now.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Just a weather one on my main screen - otherwise I'm just not interested enough to bother with one. The only one I could be interested in would be a new headline one but I'd rather just open the app itself to check them.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    none. they r crap & use up ram (totaly not needed for a few extra clicks PURE LAZYNESS.

Everything uses ram :rolleyes:

Spare unused ram is just a waste when a decent phone has 2gb. I have many widgets open and my ram usage out of 2gb is 600mb...

Oh they also aren't crap.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I have never ever heard a widget being described as crap unless of course it is a crap widget.

Widgets are what differentiates Android from that static, boring, plain looking iOS. Widgets mean we dont have to litter the homescreens with app icons, they can stay in the app drawer.

Also, how the hell can using widgets be classed as laziness? Does that mean Windows desktop shortcuts (represented by an icon) is also a sign or laziness? Should we all delete our desktop icons and access our applications by means of the long winded Start, all programs or by navigating to the install folder and double clicking the executable?
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, me too. They take up a lot of screen real estate and can any of us truly say we're so busy that we need to save that one second of time to swipe to the app itself? I can see them disappearing soon as having been a passing fad.
    Well, what exactly do you need that screen real estate for? Obviously not app shortcuts or anything like that, because none of us are so busy that we don't have that extra couple of seconds to go into the main app drawer and find the right app from the list.

Do you ever power your phone's screen on just to check the time? Would you be okay if the omnipresent clock was removed on the grounds that you're not too busy to click through and open up the clock app? Widgets are just an expansion of this - yes, I could open up my calendar everytime I wanted to check my appointments for the day, but when I can put a widget on my homescreen and see an overview straight from there... why would I not do that?

Not related to the quoted post, I also wish people could distinguish between something being "crap" and something being not useful for them. You might not see a point to widgets, and each to their own, but to describe them as crap is just stupid - they're not. They offer additional functionality and convenience that people use day in, day out, but you're not in any way forced to use them and they don't in any way cripple the usage of your phone... so in what way are they crap?