Best smartphone at the moment?

sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I currently have an iphone 4s with Orange but thinking of leaving them or buying out my contract and going with 02 or three.

What's the best smart phone at the moment?

I mainly use my phone for listening to music and browsing the net,

Obviously the new iphones are coming out soon but tbh i was thinking of moving to android as i am starting to get bored with apple phones...

Anybody have the Galaxy S4 or HTC ONE?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    S4/HTC One on Android, Lumia 925 on Windows Phone 8 and iPhone 5 from Apple (until 10th September anyway)
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    S4/HTC One on Android, Lumia 925 on Windows Phone 8 and iPhone 5 from Apple (until 10th September anyway)

what about the x1?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    what about the x1?

And that one - knew I had forgotten one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    And that one - knew I had forgotten one!

hmm not sure what to get

what about best network?

i am leaving EE, and narrowed my choices to Three, Tesco Mobile and 02
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the Pitlochry area the other day on a bus trip and my sister had her IPad mini 3g with her on the Three network and it seemed a better service for 3g services than 02 was in the area.
    02 are a fine network but Three seem to be improving and becoming one of the up and coming networks.
    I have heard mixed review about some of the HTC phones.
    I had a HTC Desire S and last year I strugled to get a signal in the Pitlochry area, Yet my Nexus 4 that I have had about 6 weeks also on 02 got 2 or 3 bars for signal the other day in the Pitlochry area.
    Two other pepole I know that had a HTC wildefire S and HTC Selsa and have now got other phones as in some areas of the country they where having signal problems also with there HTC phones.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go with 3 if I were you. Their data coverage is really good. I had real problems with data coverage on o2. But switched over to 3 and its been great.

3 are also gonna give everyone 4g for no extra cost, starting in selected areas in December.

Have a look at the prices for 4g on the other networks... Then compare them to the cost of three
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is such a thing as a best smartphone. what one person may think is good, someone else may think is rubbish. Sure a phone with the highest spec may seem the best, but is it the best for everyone?

You got to look at what you want it to do and what price will you give for it.

I got the Nexus 4, I advised a mate to go with the same phone as I believe it offers good value for money, even more so now. he did get one, just waiting for his sim now from Giff Gaff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I don't think there is such a thing as a best smartphone. what one person may think is good, someone else may think is rubbish. Sure a phone with the highest spec may seem the best, but is it the best for everyone?

You got to look at what you want it to do and what price will you give for it.

I got the Nexus 4, I advised a mate to go with the same phone as I believe it offers good value for money, even more so now. he did get one, just waiting for his sim now from Giff Gaff.
    hmmm
    im thinking htc one/xperia z1, new iphone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go with 3 if I were you. Their data coverage is really good. I had real problems with data coverage on o2. But switched over to 3 and its been great.

3 are also gonna give everyone 4g for no extra cost, starting in selected areas in December.

Have a look at the prices for 4g on the other networks... Then compare them to the cost of three

hmm its a risk
    24months with three lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm its a risk
    24months with three lol

Test them out with a pay as you go sim card first if you're worried.

I think three have a bit of a bad reputation for poor coverage in their early years, but they seem to have improved greatly in recent years.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you live and if you spead a lot of time indoors but I have always sworn by O2 and Vodafone but in the last week I wanted to see what the others had to offer.

I first tried a T-Mobile SIM (that shares Orange as well) and could not get any reception indoors at home.

Then tried a Three SIM which was even worse indoors and could get nothing at times even outside my house!

It's not like I live in the sticks (live in Harlow) so god knows what they would be like when I travel out to the sticks of Norfolk or Dorset?

I still consider it important to have at least telephone capability on my phones.

I was wondering impressed by the data speeds but that's not the most important thing to me and I may have just been unlucky.

I think O2 and Vodafone use lower frequencies than the other operators and I've heard that they can penetrant buildings better?

I would love to get better download speeds but not have to loose coverage all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you live and if you spead a lot of time indoors but I have always sworn by O2 and Vodafone but in the last week I wanted to see what the others had to offer.

I first tried a T-Mobile SIM (that shares Orange as well) and could not get any reception indoors at home.

Then tried a Three SIM which was even worse indoors and could get nothing at times even outside my house!

It's not like I live in the sticks (live in Harlow) so god knows what they would be like when I travel out to the sticks of Norfolk or Dorset?

I still consider it important to have at least telephone capability on my phones.

I was wondering impressed by the data speeds but that's not the most important thing to me and I may have just been unlucky.

I think O2 and Vodafone use lower frequencies than the other operators and I've heard that they can penetrant buildings better?
    live in london
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    live in london

Might be worth trying a Three SIM first and see how you get on as guess it should be ok in London?

Also when Three launch their 4G in a couple of months they are not going to charge any extra for it (unlike the others).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm

I thought you was starting to get bored with apple phones. The Nexus is a nice phone the only main problem for some people is no 4G, but it is not a problem here as I doubt we will get 4G working here for a few years. They can't get 3G working here correctly, so no chance of 4G

The best thing is to go into a phone shop and have a play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think three have a bit of a bad reputation for poor coverage in their early years, but they seem to have improved greatly in recent years.

That is what i am going to do, get a PAYG sim from 3 and see how it works, that is when I get closer to tp the end of my Vodafone contract.

i will stick my Vodafone sim in my old phone and stick the 3 in the Nexus, just to see how good it is.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree with this they used be called the joke network but since MBNL started there coverages has come on leaps and bounds. They still struggling to get rid of that stigma a bit but they have some of the best deals and offers on the market at the moment.

Best device on market at moment HTC One or Xperia Z1 or the S4. It depends on the person some like the usability of iOS and agree it a very good operating system for a lot of people and then some even like windows phone 8. Really you need to think what you want from the phone and then cross examine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I completely agree with this they used be called the joke network but since MBNL started there coverages has come on leaps and bounds. They still struggling to get rid of that stigma a bit but they have some of the best deals and offers on the market at the moment.

Best device on market at moment HTC One or Xperia Z1 or the S4. It depends on the person some like the usability of iOS and agree it a very good operating system for a lot of people and then some even like windows phone 8. Really you need to think what you want from the phone and then cross examine.

agree

i want a phone for listening to music and browsing the internet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »

thinking of waiting for new htc one/s5
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still can't get 3 coverage down here, O2 2g is rock solid and the 3g was boosted recently, I can get online with it indoors these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    the best phones by now are Galaxy S4,HTC One and Xperya z and not necessary in this order.i like all 3,every has good specs but you may choose what you like best...for me,the most important thing is the screen taht is way i am deciding for Galaxy S4 bigger screen in a smaller phone.and i like the features because when i am bored i use to take the phone in my hand... so do not bodder to decide wich is better because no one get`s a result unless he choose the one who HE likes the most.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm

As I posted above I have heard mixed review about some HTC phone due to signal problems.
    Even my last phone the HTC Desire S had signal problems now and again.

Darren
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    There doesn't appear to be any mention of timely (and ongoing) OS updates in this thread, which I find indicative of the current trend for changing your phone so frequently. It could be argued the best smartphone currently is the one that won't be out of date/redundant in a couple of year's time but maybe I'm old fashioned in my outlook...
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be any mention of timely (and ongoing) OS updates in this thread, which I find indicative of the current trend for changing your phone so frequently. It could be argued the best smartphone currently is the one that won't be out of date/redundant in a couple of year's time but maybe I'm old fashioned in my outlook...

Based on that argument - Nexus 4 is likely to get updates for a couple of years, iPhone 5 will get at very least some of the iOS updates, Galaxy S4 is likely to get some updates, HTC One might, but only if HTC are still around (based on their latest financials).

I certainly wouldn't bet on any other devices getting updates 2 years down the line.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kevin619 wrote: »
    .for me,the most important thing is the screen taht is way i am deciding for Galaxy S4 bigger screen.

Dont forget to buy a manbag to cart it around in :D
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Based on that argument - Nexus 4 is likely to get updates for a couple of years, iPhone 5 will get at very least some of the iOS updates, Galaxy S4 is likely to get some updates, HTC One might, but only if HTC are still around (based on their latest financials).

I certainly wouldn't bet on any other devices getting updates 2 years down the line.

Preciesly. IMO often an overlooked part of deciding the best smartphone to get. It's not always about the very best spec and 'showroom appeal'.