Adam Kelly promoting Scientology?

The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Adam from BB13 has been named as an ambassador for 'Drug Free UK' and will be in Brighton today for the launch of the 'Marathon For A Drug Free UK'.

Sounds like a worthwhile cause but Drug Free UK is a front group for Narconon, which is a front group for the 'Church' of Scientology.

Getting people involved with Narconon is used as a step towards getting them into Scientology. The rehab programme is based on the teachings of L Ron Hubbard and has no medical validity - it can actually cause serious health problems.

Narconon centres have been closed down by the Canadian Government and are currently under investigation in the US. There are several lawsuits going through American courts at the moment because of deaths at Narconon rehab centres.

Adam Kelly either hasn't bothered to research the group he's supporting or else he's aware and doesn't care.

As always, Anonymous are watching what's going on.

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/marathon-for-a-drug-free-uk-and-big-brother.110603/

Comments

• Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a sec there I thought it was Adam from BB9 who along with his cohort Matty BB9 (the one who beat up his pregnant GF. :o ) was imprisoned for selling oxicontin.
    Bacon Adam .. I'm not interested in :p

Edit ~ oh .. worst tattoo ever Adam from BB13UK :o
  • avanti82avanti82 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
  • avanti82avanti82 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    avanti82 wrote: »
    Disturbing news. Hope he is unaware of what he is promoting and can swiftly distance himself from it.

Based on what he was like on BB and shortly afterwards he seems to react fairly badly to criticism. Anyone trying to enlighten him about what he is endorsing would have to go about it
    with care.
  • ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to assume that just because he's involved in a Scientology project that makes him a Scientologist himself. I've never seen any evidence or had any suspicions that he is. He's always struck me as someone who was brought up a Christian church-goer and who maybe turned back to the church to get himself out of the gang. Although admittedly I've always been surprised why he hasn't spoken more about how he got himself up from the gutter. You'd think he'd be hollering it from the rooftops.

If he's aware of the drug group's background, maybe he just sees it as a multi-faith project, nothing different to if he was working in a group run by Muslims, Hindus, etc. Scientology is scary stuff and I don't think anybody should touch it with a bargepole (but then I'm not a fan of any religion). What I do believe in is making informed decisions. If someone knows all about what Scientology stands for and still wants to join them or support a project they run - OK fair enough, it's a free country.

If you're going to act like it's an innocent drug project and ask your fans to make donations towards it, woah that's a different matter!

https://twitter.com/adam_kellybb/status/327551286482444288

Knowing what I know now (I'd heard of Narconon but I didn't know Drug Free UK was connected to it) I'm very concerned that Adam's asking people to basically make donations to the "Church" of Scientology. In recent weeks Adam's started to get close to Luke's supporters and some of them are personal friends of mine. So I'd be gutted if anyone I cared about got tricked into funding the alien-worshipers thinking they were just donating to help kids get off drugs.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the comments below the article.

Twitter Anons need to keep tweeting him. Big Brother has a young, and dedicated, fanbase, the sort of audience we don't want Scientology reaching.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scientology is a toxic brand name and the 'church' knows it so they hide behind a plethora of front groups. Part of what critics do is expose these connections. It's like this:

Scientology > Narconon > Drug Free UK

I'm in no doubt now that Adam is aware of the Scientology connection, given that he is chatting on Twitter to someone who has been identified as being from the cult's Office of Special Affairs. Part of OSA's remit is to smear and attack critics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Special_Affairs

If it were just a case of believing in aliens I wouldn't bother opposing Scientology but the fact is people are dying because of their anti-drug teachings. Keep in mind that all drugs are prohibited and that includes legal medications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Narconon rehab centre in Atlanta has just been raided.

http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/26/raid-on-scientologys-drug-rehab-center-in-atlanta/

An attorney for several families of Narconon victims gave this statement:
    On behalf of the numerous clients I represent who have been defrauded by Narconon's bogus drug rehab scam I would like to applaud the Georgia criminal authorities for the actions they took today. I sincerely hope that this spells the end of this dangerous and deceptive operation. I only wish it had come sooner so that those who have been harmed by Narconon could have avoided that fate.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/statement-behalf-narconon-patients-families/nXYzd/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a look at a couple of the booklets they're touting round. I won't give them the oxygen of publicity by posting the link on here but if you've seen photos of the banner the marathon's carrying you can see the URL of the site on which you can read the PDFs.

I'm no pharmaceutical expert but even I can see it's a load of simplistic tosh riddled with factual errors and unsubstantiated statistics. They might as well just have that teacher from South Park saying "erm, drugs are bad, OK?" The effect is much the same.

Their attitude to prescription drugs is especially worrying, speaking of them in exactly the same terms as recreational drugs. I know it's possible to abuse stuff they've listed, like Rohypnol and Ketamine (although surely that's only a prescription drug if you're a horse :confused: ). When it comes to painkillers though, do people really deliberately abuse things like that? Surely painkiller addiction comes from not following the correct dosage instructions, taking them for more days than recommended or taking drugs prescribed for someone else. The fact that these drugs are almost entirely safe if taken as per the doctor's instructions is glossed over. The attitude seems to be they're drugs, just like heroin, so if heroin is bad then so must be your painkillers. This scaremongering could make kids afraid of taking medicine that's prescribed for them and there's no mention of how dangerous it can be to suddenly stop without a doctor's advice.

Reading up on this subject I saw a comment that Narconon actually prefers non-Scientologists to front such projects. So even still giving Adam the benefit of the doubt it doesn't say much for his credentials as an anti-drug counsellor that he's prepared to put his name to something like this. If there's no scientific credibility or support for what Drug Free UK are doing, that's bound to count against him if he ever applies to work for a legitimate drug prevention organisation.

Of course my biggest concern remains the way he's asking for donations. Fans are just going to take him on trust and support what he's doing without question. They're only going to see someone they think of as a nice guy from BB doing something worthy to keep kids away from drugs. Goodness knows where the money would end up but I can bet very little actually goes on any useful drug prevention work.

Even if he has no sinister intentions and is just doing all this out of the goodness of his heart (and I'm inclined to believe he is), it's a sad indictment of the UK's drug prevention policy that the Scientologists are doing this sort of proactive youth work instead of the legitimate authorities. :mad:
    The Dove wrote: »
    I recommend checking through the Infodump:

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/infodump-drug-free-uk-scientology-front-group-marathon.110612/

My jaw hit the floor at this quote from L Ron Hubbard. There's one drug suspiciously absent from their literature... tobacco. Here's a big clue why.
    Well, there are societies in England that are having an awfully good time fighting the cigarette. They can't do anything else, so they fight cigarettes. And they say that the cigarette causes lung cancer. And they've -- you've been hearing something of this, I'm sure. Yeah. Not smoking enough will cause lung cancer.

Eh? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good post ValW and it's good to emphasise that this groups stance on drugs also means no prescription medication either.

Couple of points. Drug Free UK is not a registered charity so Adam is soliciting money for a private individual.

Secondly, this group is going into schools and talking to kids. Narconon was doing the same thing until the Scientology connection was made public. I notice Adam is boasting about being in schools but neglects to say which ones. That's because people like me would be contacting school heads to give them the full story.

Oh, and it's true about the smoking thing. Hubbard did claim that smoking prevented cancer. He also claimed one could wash off radiation with a garden hose :rolleyes:
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Adam came across as a nice guy on Big Brother. So I am surprised he might be involved in something which is linked to Scientology which by all accounts isn't a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValW wrote: »
    I've had a look at a couple of the booklets they're touting round. I won't give them the oxygen of publicity by posting the link on here but if you've seen photos of the banner the marathon's carrying you can see the URL of the site on which you can read the PDFs.

I'm no pharmaceutical expert but even I can see it's a load of simplistic tosh riddled with factual errors and unsubstantiated statistics. They might as well just have that teacher from South Park saying "erm, drugs are bad, OK?" The effect is much the same.

Their attitude to prescription drugs is especially worrying, speaking of them in exactly the same terms as recreational drugs. I know it's possible to abuse stuff they've listed, like Rohypnol and Ketamine (although surely that's only a prescription drug if you're a horse :confused: ). When it comes to painkillers though, do people really deliberately abuse things like that? Surely painkiller addiction comes from not following the correct dosage instructions, taking them for more days than recommended or taking drugs prescribed for someone else. The fact that these drugs are almost entirely safe if taken as per the doctor's instructions is glossed over. The attitude seems to be they're drugs, just like heroin, so if heroin is bad then so must be your painkillers. This scaremongering could make kids afraid of taking medicine that's prescribed for them and there's no mention of how dangerous it can be to suddenly stop without a doctor's advice.

Reading up on this subject I saw a comment that Narconon actually prefers non-Scientologists to front such projects. So even still giving Adam the benefit of the doubt it doesn't say much for his credentials as an anti-drug counsellor that he's prepared to put his name to something like this. If there's no scientific credibility or support for what Drug Free UK are doing, that's bound to count against him if he ever applies to work for a legitimate drug prevention organisation.

Of course my biggest concern remains the way he's asking for donations. Fans are just going to take him on trust and support what he's doing without question. They're only going to see someone they think of as a nice guy from BB doing something worthy to keep kids away from drugs. Goodness knows where the money would end up but I can bet very little actually goes on any useful drug prevention work.

Even if he has no sinister intentions and is just doing all this out of the goodness of his heart (and I'm inclined to believe he is), it's a sad indictment of the UK's drug prevention policy that the Scientologists are doing this sort of proactive youth work instead of the legitimate authorities. :mad:

I recommend checking through the Infodump:

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/infodump-drug-free-uk-scientology-front-group-marathon.110612/

My jaw hit the floor at this quote from L Ron Hubbard. There's one drug suspiciously absent from their literature... tobacco. Here's a big clue why.

Eh? :eek:

I've checked through it, makes for very interesting reading, especially this link
    http://www.xenu-directory.net/practices/infiltration.html
    and the quote from L. Ron Hubbard re legality.

I really hope that Adam checks this all out, he came across as a decent bloke on BB, I'd hate to find out he wasn't.
  • Oliver Loxton-POliver Loxton-P Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely disgusted with Adam. This is Scientology targeting the most vulnerable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well so far Adam sees to be the only non-Scientologist involved with this.

The marathon is being supported by G&G Vitamins. G&G makes an awful lot of money by supplying the mega doses of vitamins needed for something called the 'purification rundown' which is the drug detox used by Narconon.

In return, the Gaiman family have donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to Scientology over the years. Before you ask, yes it is the family of the Neil Gaiman.

http://gandgvitamins.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/vitamin-company-back-marathon/

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2009/06/paris-trial-vii.html

http://www.exscientologykids.com/eskforums/viewtopic.php?p=30886&sid=c7cb791412b4b2b649b6314a3e2b0966#p30886

Oh and this is the press release about the same event last year where it's openly admitted the marathon is organised by the Church of Scientology.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Church-Of-Scientology/Drug-Free-Education-Event/prweb9475017.htm
    To learn more about the drug prevention initiative sponsored by the Church of Scientology or to participate in the program, visit the Scientology website.
    About The Church Of Scientology And The Truth About Drugs Education and Prevention Materials
    The Church of Scientology sponsors one of the world’s largest nongovernmental drug education and prevention campaigns. When young people are provided with the truth about drugs—factual information on what drugs are and what they do—usage rates drop commensurately.
  • SpecialFriedSpecialFried Posts: 3,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone not familiar with Hubbard and Scientology could do worse than read this (I read about half of it, many years ago. Perhaps a bit on the long side, folks might get something of it from reading the Amazon reviews.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bare-Faced-Messiah-True-Story-Hubbard/dp/0805006540/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367270261&sr=1-1&keywords=bare-faced+messiah

Happily the entire book is available free to download in PDF format:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/Bare%20Faced%20Messiah.pdf

The author is former Fleet Street journalist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Miller#L._Ron_Hubbard_biography
    While researching the book in the United States, Miller was spied upon. His friends and business associates also received visits from Scientologists and private detectives. Attempts were made to frame him for the murder of a London private detective, the murder of American singer Dean Reed in East Berlin and a fire in an aircraft factory. Senior executives at publishers Michael Joseph, and at the Sunday Times, which serialised the book, received threatening phone calls and also a visit from private investigator Eugene Ingram, who worked for the Church. Another private investigator, Jarl Grieve Einar Cynewulf, told Sunday Times journalists that he had been offered "large sums of money" to find a link between Miller and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex-Scientologists Ireland host several good books for download in pdf format. They're all legal and above board.

http://xscn.ie/wp/books/

If reading's not your thing, check out the videos from the Dublin Offlines conference last year, especially the one of David Love and his story of Narconon.

http://xscn.ie/wp/conference-videos/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely disgusted with Adam. This is Scientology targeting the most vulnerable.

No point in being disgusted with Adam. He is a kind person who genuinely wants to help young people. He is travelling across the UK obviously having a lovely time meeting teenagers and talking to them about his experiences; they are obviously having a lovely time as well, as I keep seeing happy tweets from them. It is very easy to think that because you know about something everyone else does as well, but if you mention Scientology to a random cross section of people you will find that very few people know anything at all, other than that Madonna and Tom Cruise are followers.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point in being disgusted with Adam. He is a kind person who genuinely wants to help young people. He is travelling across the UK obviously having a lovely time meeting teenagers and talking to them about his experiences; they are obviously having a lovely time as well, as I keep seeing happy tweets from them. It is very easy to think that because you know about something everyone else does as well, but if you mention Scientology to a random cross section of people you will find that very few people know anything at all, other than that Madonna and Tom Cruise are followers.

I agree on Adam. He could know nothing of the Scientology links. Even if he is a convert, it could be said that he is a victim too. I doubt that he is high in the Scientology hierarchy.
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That includes me then! I thought it was just another religion!
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »
    I agree on Adam. He could know nothing of the Scientology links. Even if he is a convert, it could be said that he is a victim too. I doubt that he is high in the Scientology hierarchy.

Surely, being on twitter, he would've been made aware of the links by now. Anyone know if he's commented on it since?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely, being on twitter, he would've been made aware of the links by now. Anyone know if he's commented on it since?

Adam hasn't tweeted for a month or so and no-one appears to have tweeted him. Of course it may well be that people have DM'd him!
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »
    Adam hasn't tweeted for a month or so and no-one appears to have tweeted him. Of course it may well be that people have DM'd him!

Isn't this his twitter account then?

https://twitter.com/adam_kellybb

If it is, then it appears that, not only is he aware of the links to Scientology, but he thinks (well, claims) they're of no consequence, and doesn't think it's important to make others aware of them.

All seems a bit disingenuous on his part to my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very easy to think that because you know about something everyone else does as well, but if you mention Scientology to a random cross section of people you will find that very few people know anything at all, other than that Madonna and Tom Cruise are followers.
    No, Madonna practices Kabbalah, which is a form of Judaism. Famous Scientologists include John Travolta, Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson), Kirstie Alley, Beck, Peaches Geldof and the 2 guys from My Name Is Earl.

You're right though, the general public probably aren't aware of what Scientology's all about and why it's not just another benign religion. That's why it's vital we have conversations like this.

Adam's been Tweeting a little about his travels but it's all very vague. The team obviously don't want their locations tracked down in advance. He hasn't answered any comments about the Scientology links. If he feels he has nothing to be ashamed about why not just come out and say it?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Madonna is a follower of Kabbalah rather than Scientology, which from the little I know is mystical Judaism - and far less offensive than Scientology.

edited to add: Sorry, beaten to it by Val.

While I'm here :p for those who don't know about Scientology - please do a bit of reading. For me, it's a dangerous insidious creature that impoverishes its followers, actively encourages them to disassociate from those they love who question their religious choice, has (even by the standards of religion) inane beliefs involving aliens and repressed memories but, worst of all - plants seeds of doubt about conventional medicines and treatments that have saved lives. Odious thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this his twitter account then?

https://twitter.com/adam_kellybb

If it is, then it appears that, not only is he aware of the links to Scientology, but he thinks (well, claims) they're of no consequence, and doesn't think it's important to make others aware of them.

All seems a bit disingenuous on his part to my mind.

I must have had the wrong account then. The one I have been looking at seems to have disappeared now! It seems that Adam feels that the message 'The Truth about Drugs' is more important than who delivers it. Personally I think that the drug issue is a complex one and that former addicts often generalise too much from their own experience, ie that one toke on a spliff is the road to lying in the gutter with a needle in your arm!