PlayStation Vita TV

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
Seems an interesting idea. The thing that always put me off handheld systems is I dont like playing a handheld at home, I always wish I could be playing on my big screen when sat at home.

PS4 remote play will also mean a cheap way to use your PS4 in another room.

It would be really nice if PS4 could play Vita games as well.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/428487/sony-announces-ps-vita-tv-microconsole/

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    It's a smart little idea, especially as it also plays PS1, PS2, PSP, Minis and VITA titles, £100 for basically a bundled mesh of older consoles, mixed in with the Vita's media streaming features and then the PS4's instant streaming, this thing could be, ...slightly good.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Looks like a nice little product. One thing I don't get though is the remote play of PS4 games... Where does the Vita TV need to be connected?

Does it need to be in the same room as the PS4 to pick up the signal or can it be in say the upstairs room with the PS4 downstairs? It's not very clear in the video
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Looks like a nice little product. One thing I don't get though is the remote play of PS4 games... Where does the Vita TV need to be connected?

Does it need to be in the same room as the PS4 to pick up the signal or can it be in say the upstairs room with the PS4 downstairs? It's not very clear in the video

It works the same way as the Vitas remote play.

So for example you have a PS4 in the living room and a Vita TV in the bedroom, you can then play PS4 games in the bedroom as well as the living room.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member

It'll work as far as the PS4's wireless range, which is much more than the Wii U's with the gamepad, so yeah, having a PS4 downstairs and this adapter on an upstairs TV is completely possible, hell, just see how far your DS3 goes, can be on the other side of the house, maybe in the garden even and the PS3 will still turn on!
    Forum Member
    It's cool, I get it now. I thought the film they were watching was through Vita TV & I was like WTF?! How does the picture for the PS4 get onto the TVin the bedroom??? :o
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cool, I get it now. I thought the film they were watching was through Vita TV & I was like WTF?! How does the picture for the PS4 get onto the TVin the bedroom??? :o

They were watching the movie via the Vita TV, when the guys came in and noticed the TV was in use they switched the PS4 on and went to another room which also contained a Vita TV.

I think they are showing that you could have one PS4 and multiple Vita TVs so you can play the PS4 on every telly.
    Forum Member
    lol It's Monday... :o

If this was jailbreakable to get XMBC installed on it, this would be the ultimate machine. Still a great piece of kit to stream PS4 to another TV.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has great potential to be an Apple TV killer, if Netflix could be installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    This has great potential to be an Apple TV killer, if Netflix could be installed.
    Netflix is on Vita in the US but they seem to have no desire to give it to the EU/UK, so yeah don't get your hopes up.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    It's a smart little idea, especially as it also plays PS1, PS2, PSP, Minis and VITA titles, £100 for basically a bundled mesh of older consoles, mixed in with the Vita's media streaming features and then the PS4's instant streaming, this thing could be, ...slightly good.

Potentially throw in PS3 via Gaikai as well, and you'd have the full playstation experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potentially throw in PS3 via Gaikai as well, and you'd have the full playstation experience.

I'm sure that's the plan, gaikai access will be introduced once they get it working properly everywhere.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is £100 it will make the Ouyo look very expensive give what this seems to be offering. As long as they can get the services like Netflix, iPlayer ect on board this could be an awesome little box for your light gamer and a nice box to complement the PS4 for your heavy gamer.

I hope it will be able to stream media from a home server as well.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    No thanks. please keep handheld consoles actually on a handheld. Especially on a Vita, with its rear touch pad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    If this is £100 it will make the Ouyo look very expensive give what this seems to be offering. As long as they can get the services like Netflix, iPlayer ect on board this could be an awesome little box for your light gamer and a nice box to complement the PS4 for your heavy gamer.

I hope it will be able to stream media from a home server as well.
    It is £63 for the console, or £96 with controller and 8GB card.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like the idea of it,part vita console part PS4 Multiroom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    No thanks. please keep handheld consoles actually on a handheld. Especially on a Vita, with its rear touch pad.

Not all games use the touchpad / touchscreen, or they could have joypad-friendly control options and these will all work perfectly. Confirmed compatible games already include Persona 4, Rayman Origins, Soul Sacrifice, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive 5, Earth Defence Force 3, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Final Fantasy X and X2 along with many more my poor Japanese skills can't translate.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/

Eventually there will be more than 1300 games available in addition to any PS4 games you happen to own.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »

No native ps2 compatability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    It is £63 for the console, or £96 with controller and 8GB card.

Is that confirmed or just converted from the cost in dollars?
    Forum Member
    Not all games use the touchpad / touchscreen, or they could have joypad-friendly control options and these will all work perfectly. Confirmed compatible games already include Persona 4, Rayman Origins, Soul Sacrifice, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive 5, Earth Defence Force 3, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Final Fantasy X and X2 along with many more my poor Japanese skills can't translate.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/

Eventually there will be more than 1300 games available in addition to any PS4 games you happen to own.

Yeah, but what you are doing is making a handheld console, stationary. What's the difference between a vita and a PS3/4 now??! And now less developers are going to use the touch screen / rear touch pad!
    This just goes to show how much the 3DS is winning over the Vita, they now have to resort to selling Vita games on stationary console basis!!

Nintendo must be laughing!
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but what you are doing is making a handheld console, stationary. What's the difference between a vita and a PS3/4 now??! And now less developers are going to use the touch screen / rear touch pad!
    This just goes to show how much the 3DS is winning over the Vita, they now have to resort to selling Vita games on stationary console basis!!

It could be great if it works. I'm not really interested in Vita games on a big TV, that seems a bit pointless I agree. But if it means we can play PS3/4 games on any TV I will be buying one. That will be useful for a lot of people, I have my playstation in my bedroom, but I sometimes take it down to the living room and use the big TV, it's a bit of a pain, this could be a perfect solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not at all. Vita is still Vita. It's still a portable, and always will be. Nothing has changed in that respect. It's just that we now have a new opportunity to play Vita games. They are adding choice, not taking it away. Everyone wins.

Not sure why you brought Nintendo into it? You seem to have forgotten that Nintendo had the "Super Game Boy" on the SNES and "Game Boy Player" on the GameCube which allowed games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Gameboy Advance to be played on home consoles through a TV. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it could be quite useful when my wife puts on Hollyoaks if I put one of these in the bedroom & it saves buying a second PS4 or constantly disconnecting/connecting it up. However, I doubt I'd remote play PS4 games on my Vita now if I can just go & play on a decent sized screen in another room.

If they allow the Vita to be used as a controller so that the touch screen worked in the games, that would sort things out
    Forum Member
    Not at all. Vita is still Vita. It's still a portable, and always will be. Nothing has changed in that respect. It's just that we now have a new opportunity to play Vita games. They are adding choice, not taking it away. Everyone wins.

Not sure why you brought Nintendo into it? You seem to have forgotten that Nintendo had the "Super Game Boy" on the SNES and "Game Boy Player" on the GameCube which allowed games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Gameboy Advance to be played on home consoles through a TV. :rolleyes:

Well yeah that's true. Although Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player never took away the unique features of a handheld, which on the Vita is the touch screen and pad. We already know that big hitting Vita titles are already missing!!! :rolleyes: Also the 'multiroom' feature for PS4 remote play cannibalizes the Vita handheld console further.

I suppose the wii U could easily support the DS range of titles, like a 100%, if they wanted to!

Handheld and stationary consoles are coming together like never before, I just think this is not the right way to go about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yeah that's true. Although Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player never took away the unique features of a handheld, which on the Vita is the touch screen and pad. We already know that big hitting Vita titles are already missing!!! :rolleyes: Also the 'multiroom' feature for PS4 remote play cannibalizes the Vita handheld console further.

I suppose the wii U could easily support the DS range of titles, like a 100%, if they wanted to!

Handheld and stationary consoles are coming together like never before, I just think this is not the right way to go about it.

In my opinion, no features are being "taken away" - I see the VitaTV as being primarily designed to be an extension to the PlayStation ecosystem, an additional way for existing Vita and PS4 owners to access their content.

For new customers, It's also going to be a high quality media box, that just so happens to have 1300 games from the PlayStation catalogue, something the likes of Roku and Chromecast cannot match.

I may have a TV in the bedroom for PS4 remote play, but the Vita will still be useful in the dining room, bathroom and garden so no cannibalisation from my perspective, just more choice. Let's not forget the cross-controller / second-screen potential, too.

If anything, the additional flexibility could encourage Vita ownership, leading to a larger install base fuelling more unique games being created.

VitaTV doesn't make Vita less of a handheld any more than Apple TV makes an iPad less of a tablet.
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, no features are being "taken away" - I see the VitaTV as being primarily designed to be an extension to the PlayStation ecosystem, an additional way for existing Vita and PS4 owners to access their content.

It's an extension alright, pity it's actually a half-broken one.

Although, it could boost the 'vita' libary - if it catches on we can expect lots of cut down PS4 titles on it at a cheaper price!
    Anything that boosts the 'Vita' libary should be taken as a positive!