Why can't they keep it a secret?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
Instead of a big reveal would it not be better if we find out who the new Doctor is on Christmas day when he regenerates?

We all knew Tennant was going to be 10 and Smith was going to be 11 but what if we had no idea Who would be 12.

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it would leak
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Because it would leak

Only if they aren't filming series 8 until after Christmas. It would just be 1 Tardis scene.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Instead of a big reveal would it not be better if we find out who the new Doctor is on Christmas day when he regenerates?

We all knew Tennant was going to be 10 and Smith was going to be 11 but what if we had no idea Who would be 12.

We all knew that Tom would be Peter and Peter would be Colin and Colin would be Sylvester and Sylvester would be Paul etc etc (people probably knew the rest too but that was before my time).

The identity of the next Doctor has never been kept secret and with good reason, the audience needs to time to accept that the new guy is going to be the lead actor.

And I say that as someone who avoids spoilers.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    It would have been hard to keep the new Doctor a secret for any length of time even years ago, so they didn't even try then.
    Now it would be absolutely impossible!
    I think they're done pretty well to keep it a secret this time until Sunday night, mind you I haven't seen the Sunday papers yet!
    :)
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking earlier - I remember my reaction to Chris regenerating into David. I had no idea who he was going to be, I was about 12 at the time. All I remember saying is "Oh its him!!" To this day I can't remember what I saw him in to think that, unless it was mistaken identity.

Never looked back, mind. That David fella made me a huge fan of the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It'd be against the BBC's interests to keep it a secret right up until the moment the new Doctor would appear on-screen because they need to "sell" the new Doctor to the fans. They'll want to know more about him as an actor, what he'll bring to the role, etc. Steven Moffat and the BBC will need to get the naysayers warmed up to him by the time he takes over the role. Also, like someone else said, it would very likely leak, either by way of a loose-lipped DW production team member or an intrepid fan with a camera waiting for the right moment to spot an actor walking around the set or what not.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lessons from pro wrestling 101: booking should be logical, secrets and swerves don't help sell the show. Worldwide is looking to make $$$ from this, doesn't make sense to keep it a secret.

All the plotlines from the soaps are extensively covered by the papers in advance, and this doesn't hurt ratings, indeed it's likely it helps them.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I am too nosey, i'd find out..

:D
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Because he's going to regenerate in the 50th special and they're going to be filming the Christmas special soon and people would go: oh, hang on, that's not Matt Smith...

I think if they could keep it all a secret they would, but it's just not possible. Which I think is a huge shame.
  • mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new doctor is not the secret, however the new costume is usually kept a secret until close to airing.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I think they're done pretty well to keep it a secret this time until Sunday night, mind you I haven't seen the Sunday papers yet!
    There's nothing in the Sundays. :)
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It certainly would be better for me.:)
    For me, it is the Doctor that is most important of all, not media - glorified - worship of an actor.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    Because he's going to regenerate in the 50th special and they're going to be filming the Christmas special soon and people would go: oh, hang on, that's not Matt Smith...

I think if they could keep it all a secret they would, but it's just not possible. Which I think is a huge shame.

Regen is in the Christmas special not in the 50th. 50th will be done and wrapped by now!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait till Christmas to know who it is. I hate surprises. Having it sprung on me in the Christmas episode would be dreadful.

As it is I can either get used to the idea/live in joyful anticipation until then.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, keeping it a secret would be a terrible idea. After the Christmas special all the discussion and media coverage would be centred around the Twelfth Doctor's reveal rather than Matt Smith's final moments and the Swan Song episode itself like it should be.
    Also actually keeping it a secret for that long would be nigh on impossible.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cos people on tv sets have mobile cameras with phones included. Someone on the set just needs to take out their mobile, point it at the new actor, click - photo taken - and upload it onto a site and the next thing it's spread across the internet and everyone knows about it! In the internet/mobile phone era it's impossible to stop things leaking out.
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I remember my first Who regeneration during The Planet of the Spiders.

As a 7 year old I was certainly surprised when 3 generated into 4. I had no idea that was coming and my dad had to explain to me that Pertwee wasn't the first Doctor.

After that no regeneration has ever been the same.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So Moffat is supposed to read this thread and have a last minute change of heart? At the end of tonight's live show, he should just tell everyone that he's keeping the new Doctor's identity a secret until the episode is shown?

Jog on!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There's nothing in the Sundays. :)

I wonder if the press do know and have agreed to an embargo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to tonight's thread in which some dimwit will declare the announcement of the next Doctor to be a "MASSIVE SPOILER" which Digital Spy shouldn't have allowed in headlines and thread titles. Come on, there's going to be at least one person whose "plan" to avoid the announcement until Christmas Day will be thwarted by their foolish decision to look at the Internet.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the BBC have done exceedingly well to keep it a secret up to now, actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Fire Host wrote: »
    I think the BBC have done exceedingly well to keep it a secret up to now, actually.

I still think industry insiders and the press have agreed to play along with any speculation to keep the fans guessing...I suspect a few in media land already know who the new pilot of the Tardis will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fire Host wrote: »
    That's a clue: Mr Kipling is the new Doctor!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While this is different and good how they are doing a live program for this a few things don't make sense to me.

They could have kept it a secret until xmas where he to regenerate at the end of the episode as closed studio recording a week or 2 before broadcast of just a single scene could be done if they are set to go in advance.

But then it strikes me that the xmas specials have never really been a main heavy and serious episode and often xmas kind of themed in many respects. So it would never make much sense to have a major event like a regeneration in what is a more lighter less serious episode.

I think the regeneration will be at the end of the 50th special and they want to sign there wanted actor now to film a closed studio scene or 2 to properly finish recording. No reason Smith then couldn't also be in the xmas special to in some form of flashback or to do with the regeneration etc scenes. Makes far more sense to use the 50th for the regeneration than the xmas special.