ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know who will be doing the world feed commentary on the World Series and *I think* the American League Championship Series this year? It is usually one of Gary Thorne and Dave O'Brien with Rick Sutcliffe.

Also, does anyone know if ESPN America are due to be taking the world feed on either/both series or will they take the Fox coverage?

Rick Sutcliffe has started doing a playoff blog for the ESPN America website in which he says he'll be covering the ALCS and World Series.

Gary Thorne has been working on college football this year for the CBS Sports Network cable channel, but he's not listed on any of their games this weekend so he may well be teaming up with Sut again
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alex. I've just checked out Rick's blog, which links to his Twitter account. On Twitter he's said he's in Milwaukee for the NLCS, so I guess he must be doing that as well as the World Series despite what it says at the end of his first blog article.

Therefore I guess they must be taking Fox's coverage on Game One of the ALCS this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alex. I've just checked out Rick's blog, which links to his Twitter account. On Twitter he's said he's in Milwaukee for the NLCS, so I guess he must be doing that as well as the World Series despite what it says at the end of his first blog article.

Therefore I guess they must be taking Fox's coverage on Game One of the ALCS this morning.

Lol, I didn't watch the game but I have to admit it was a bit of a surprise when a few minutes after I posted that the MLB on FOX pregame show came on!
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    This is the first year I've watched baseball on ESPN America. Do they usually take the world feed for the ALCS, NLCS and World Series? I noticed they took the Fox coverage last night, and I'm very glad they did. Terry Francona was really, really good behind the mic, to the extent that I didn't even mind Joe Buck.

I know they took TBS coverage of the ALDS and NLDS, so I hope that continues with the ALCS tonight. I'll be forced to switch to MLB.TV if Rick Sutcliffe's on there.

EDIT: With regards to RS, he could be in Milwaukee for ESPN Radio. He has been working for them during the LDS (I forget which series he was covering).

EDIT 2: On Twitter he has replied to someone saying "Check Gary Thorne n I out on MLB int. TV in the ALCS n WS."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    This is the first year I've watched baseball on ESPN America. Do they usually take the world feed for the ALCS, NLCS and World Series? I noticed they took the Fox coverage last night, and I'm very glad they did. Terry Francona was really, really good behind the mic, to the extent that I didn't even mind Joe Buck.

I know they took TBS coverage of the ALDS and NLDS, so I hope that continues with the ALCS tonight. I'll be forced to switch to MLB.TV if Rick Sutcliffe's on there.

EDIT: With regards to RS, he could be in Milwaukee for ESPN Radio. He has been working for them during the LDS (I forget which series he was covering).

EDIT 2: On Twitter he has replied to someone saying "Check Gary Thorne n I out on MLB int. TV in the ALCS n WS."

I think he worked the Brewers/D'backs series.

Normally MLB International produce a feed for one of the LCS plus the World Series and ESPN America take this over the TBS or Fox feed.

It has been a haphazard arrangement at times, I think last year or the year before they showed Game one of a series with the Fox feed, then showed the first inning of Game Two with a Fox feed before switching during a commercial to the MLB International coverage!

For what it's worth I wish they were able to just stick to the normal US feeds. I really like Brian Anderson as a commentator and from what I saw of the pre-game Terry Francona seemed like he would be good value for Fox too. I wonder if they might contemplate keeping him on in a 3-man booth or at least in the studio when Tim McCarver returns
    Forum Member
    I hope they do keep Francona. He was very good last night. I'm not always a fan of three-man commentary teams for baseball (or any sport, really), but I'd be happy to see Fox trial it.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    I've not really watched loads of baseball sincer Channel 5 dropped it, but I used to really like the international feed they used when it got to the business end of the season.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they do keep Francona. He was very good last night. I'm not always a fan of three-man commentary teams for baseball (or any sport, really), but I'd be happy to see Fox trial it.

Yes, I thought he was good
    Forum Member
    So ESPN America are taking the world feed of the NLCS. It's Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe behind the mics. I actually really like Thorne, but Sutcliffe is woeful. TBS coverage on MLB.TV for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So ESPN America are taking the world feed of the NLCS. It's Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe behind the mics. I actually really like Thorne, but Sutcliffe is woeful. TBS coverage on MLB.TV for me.

Shame as, like I said before, I have a lot of time for Brian Anderson, although I do like Gary Thorne too.

EDIT: Also for those who might not know Game 2 of the ALCS has been moved to tomorrow night at approx 9 our time because of bad weather
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated. Personally I like both Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe, have done ever since the early days of MLB on Five, so I'm glad I will be able to listen to them on commentary on the World Series this year.

Some information those of you who aren't fans of Gary and/or Rick might be interested in, BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra will be doing their own on-site commentary on the whole of the World Series this year. Simon Brotherton and Josh Chetwynd will be their commentators.

If you're a fan of MLB on 5 Live as I am, it might be worth syncing up your radio to the TV pictures.
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    y16amp wrote: »
    (does anybody else miss NASN?)
    Yeah, absolutely. I know ESPN has improved picture quality, technical quality, sounds quality etc. HD, Widescreen
    But I do miss NASN. The original music and ident package still get me all excited. I even have the NASN original music as my ringtone, and you could actually get to talk to Amory Schwarz, the guy who set up NASN, if you tried hard enough.
    Those were happy days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the figures in terms of finance ?
    How much did ESPNA pay for rights in the past and how much are Medge/Ami looking for ?
    Is there a huge difference from what ESPNA have paid out in the past compared to what is being ask for now ?

It would be good to know the price's.

Is there any chance Medge/Ami could come down in price ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geo g wrote: »
    How much did ESPNA pay for rights in the past and how much are Medge/Ami looking for ?
    Is there a huge difference from what ESPNA have paid out in the past compared to what is being ask for now ?

They will have to come down in price at some point as the rights are worthless to them until they sell them..
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geo g wrote: »

The only indication of price we've had was a Czech article (about local stations wanting to buy Czech language rights) that talked about the price being 'up to seven times' what it was previously. Which - if acurate - would explain why there hasn't been a deal! You won't hear more than that because of how comercially sensitive such deals are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Delenn wrote: »
    Yeah, absolutely. I know ESPN has improved picture quality, technical quality, sounds quality etc. HD, Widescreen
    But I do miss NASN.
    Point taken, as stated by others here but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison - how do we know that NASN wouldn't be broadcasting in HD, widescreen etc by now?
    The original music and ident package still get me all excited. I even have the NASN original music as my ringtone,
    That's right!, I'd forgotten how good that was! Where did you get the ringtone?
    and you could actually get to talk to Amory Schwarz, the guy who set up NASN, if you tried hard enough.
    I too miss the days when you could speak to real people, we seem to have lost that immediacy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a joke. I now watch about 2-5 hours max of television a week. And would like NHL back on and HNIC to make it worth while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NASN was the bomb and yes they may have been in HD by now, after all Setanta HD is up and running.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    GeoffNI wrote: »
    This is a joke. I now watch about 2-5 hours max of television a week. And would like NHL back on and HNIC to make it worth while.

I know, but I am sure it will come once the MLB playoffs are over at the latest.

Thankfully we have highlights and I love American Football and MLB.

But yes we need HNIC back. Come on NHL sort out your European rights...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    GeoffNI wrote: »

Give I time. Not long now I would guess. just think when the rights are completed that will be it for a while! We should also get more from the deal as well .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    NitaJez wrote: »
    I know, but I am sure it will come once the MLB playoffs are over at the latest.

Thankfully we have highlights and I love American Football and MLB.

But yes we need HNIC back. Come on NHL sort out your European rights...

You see this is one of the problems I have with ESPNs coverage of the sport up to date. They have in the past shown hockey from the start of the season, but the sport only gets serious coverage when the baseball thing gets out of the way. Call me biased if you will but I really have no interest in anything else this channel broadcasts.
    I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that feels this way here in europe.
    I also bet there are a lot of similarly angry hockey fans all across Europe who would like to find a way to voice their frustrations :mad:
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    y16amp wrote: »
    You see this is one of the problems I have with ESPNs coverage of the sport up to date. They have in the past shown hockey from the start of the season, but the sport only gets serious coverage when the baseball thing gets out of the way. Call me biased if you will but I really have no interest in anything else this channel broadcasts.
    I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that feels this way here in europe.
    I also bet there are a lot of similarly angry hockey fans all across Europe who would like to find a way to voice their frustrations :mad:

There are a lot of angry NHL fans across Europe and they are telling the NHL to sort themselves out. Of course MLB takes presidence right now as the season ends, just like NHL takes priority over MLB when it is the NHL season end.

The NHL needs to get deals done asap. I hear a small package has been agreed in the Czech Republic today, so I am sure deals will start to fall into place now.

Remember the issues seems to be caused by the NHL / AMI, not the tv channels.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    Say goodbye to the NHL on ESPN America...
    Premier Sports
    NHL arrives on Premier this weekend. We aim to show as many games live as possible. Up to 10 per week. Happy days.

From their facebook page.
  • bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweet from premier sport.

NHL arrives on Premier this weekend. We aim to show as many games live as possible. Up to 10 per week. Happy days.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    Say goodbye to the NHL on ESPN America...

The NHL are the kings of signing TV contracts with obscure channels that loads of their fans don't have access to.

With no NBA on the horizon, ESPN America is going to be showing a lot of college basketball in the coming months, it would seem.