Parallels Desktop for Mac

Looking at getting this for my Macbook Air (after I have the power adapter problem sorted) so I can run Windows 8 on it (don't have enough hard drive space to dual boot with Bootcamp and I have W7 on my Macbook Pro). I'm thinking of getting it because it's always handy to have Windows on a Mac. You never know when you might need it :D I know that I'd have to buy a copy of W8 as well as a copy of Parallels, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Does running W8 in a Parallels VM use a lot of RAM?
2) Would my Mac be more at risk of viruses?
3) If I use Coherence mode would it use a lot of RAM and would I get hit by viruses in Coherence mode?
4) Is Parallels any good for playing games whether in VM mode or Coherence mode?

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at getting this for my Macbook Air (after I have the power adapter problem sorted) so I can run Windows 8 on it (don't have enough hard drive space to dual boot with Bootcamp and I have W7 on my Macbook Pro). I'm thinking of getting it because it's always handy to have Windows on a Mac. You never know when you might need it :D I know that I'd have to buy a copy of W8 as well as a copy of Parallels, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Does running W8 in a Parallels VM use a lot of RAM?
    2) Would my Mac be more at risk of viruses?
    3) If I use Coherence mode would it use a lot of RAM and would I get hit by viruses in Coherence mode?
    4) Is Parallels any good for playing games whether in VM mode or Coherence mode?

I have only used Virtualbox which is similar but free, but I assume the answers will be the same.

1. It will use as much RAM as you allocate to the VM eg if you set up a 2GB VM, it will use 2GB plus a little more to run parallels.

2. Not really as the VM is generally self contained, but regardless the Mac can't run Windows executable files anyway.

3. Probably / probably not.

4. I doubt it. Virtualbox certainly isn't much good for it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ^ Thanks. Sounds like it's not really worth getting then :( I always thought Parallels was the best of all the Windows on Mac virtualisation programs? If I was to use Bootcamp wouldn't I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion or the upcoming Mavericks to get Windows 8 support? I also don't have a drivers disk for the Air as it didn't come with one.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use parallels on a 2011 MBP, it runs windows 8 very well, I only use it to run one windows program that doesnt have a Mac version ( Sportstracks )

I have tried games on it but direct10x is only supported in beta so its a bit hit and miss.

The only negative is it kills battery life (due to the extra processes and the switching to the descrete video card) so I only have the virtual machine running when I need too.

I tried Bootcamp once but didnt like the idea of having to keep rebooting my machine.

There a free trial of Parallels so give it a go.
    Forum Member
    Just downloaded the free 14 day trial of Parallels. Now all I need is a copy of Windows 8! Is the trial for 14 days from installation or 14 days from download?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Parallels works very well with Windows 8. I know of a few who use it. Also a good review here;
    http://betanews.com/2013/09/11/parallels-9-for-mac-great-for-windows-8-linux-not-so-much-review/

Windows 8.1 consumer preview iso here;
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

The trial will start once you install it.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also consider VMware fusion. That's the one I use at the moment although I used to use parallels previously. The advantage with fusion is, if you have more than 1 mac you can use a single licence on them.
    Forum Member
    So I downloaded the free trial of Parallels and Windows 8.1 Consumer Preview. All went well until I attempted to install 8.1. It wouldn't install! Maybe I didn't give it too much RAM (I gave it the recommended 1536MB RAM, which I assume is about 1.5GB?) or maybe it's just a typical Micro$oft product :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So I downloaded the free trial of Parallels and Windows 8.1 Consumer Preview. All went well until I attempted to install 8.1. It wouldn't install! Maybe I didn't give it too much RAM (I gave it the recommended 1536MB RAM, which I assume is about 1.5GB?) or maybe it's just a typical Micro$oft product :mad:

Did you get any error on the install?
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Did you get any error on the install?

Yeah I got an error telling me that Windows 8.1 couldn't install on this computer (VM) and that I should restart the install. I haven't restarted it yet. I thought it would be easy?
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a similar message when I tried to install 8.1 the day it first came out. I think it was something to do with the country setting (uk English). I did get it to install eventually but can't remember how unfortunately. Not sure if you're having the same problem though.
    Forum Member
    Finally got it to work. W8.1 seems to be pretty useless though. What's happened to Internet Explorer (or any web browser)? Is that because it's a beta?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got it to work. W8.1 seems to be pretty useless though. What's happened to Internet Explorer (or any web browser)? Is that because it's a beta?

So, you come on here asking how to install Windows 8 in Parallels because 'you never know when you might need it' and then you complain it's useless.

W8.1 has two versions of Internet Explorer 11; the full screen 'Metro ' app, and the one from the Desktop. You can install any browser from the desktop if you wish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    So, you come on here asking how to install Windows 8 in Parallels because 'you never know when you might need it' and then you complain it's useless.

True, a question for the OP. Do you really want to spend upto £150 for a copy of WIndows 8 and a copy of Parallels just because 'you never know when you minght need it'?

Seems a lot of money for nothing, unless there is a genuine need for Windows on a Mac (as in my case runing Sportstracks) I dont see the point, most programs have an equivelent and you allready have Windows 7 on your other Mac.
    Forum Member

W8.1 has two versions of Internet Explorer 11; the full screen 'Metro ' app, and the one from the Desktop. You can install any browser from the desktop if you wish.

Well how was I to know it was useless? I only found that out after I had installed it. I think with Parallels you can drag back and forth between the two sides so I might have to do that. I hate IE but I was surprised not to see an icon or tile for it.
    paulj48 wrote: »
    True, a question for the OP. Do you really want to spend upto £150 for a copy of WIndows 8 and a copy of Parallels just because 'you never know when you minght need it'?

Seems a lot of money for nothing, unless there is a genuine need for Windows on a Mac (as in my case runing Sportstracks) I dont see the point, most programs have an equivelent and you allready have Windows 7 on your other Mac.

Well it is a lot of money for W8. They should pay me up to £150 to use it :D I dual boot Windows 7 on my other Mac for games but I thought it would be useful to have Windows on my Air as well. If it's gonna cost me a fortune though it's not really worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is a lot of money for W8. They should pay me up to £150 to use it :D I dual boot Windows 7 on my other Mac for games but I thought it would be useful to have Windows on my Air as well. If it's gonna cost me a fortune though it's not really worth it.

Well Parallels is £65 to start with so not all that is for WIndows 8
    Forum Member
    Well Parallels is £65 to start with so not all that is for WIndows 8

I'm a student so I might be able to get it cheaper if I use software4students. Windows 8 would still cost a bloody fortune though. Typical Micro$oft :rolleyes:
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical Micro$oft :rolleyes:
    You are really pushing your credibility here. Didn't you say your Dad was going to get a Surface Pro?
    Forum Member
    You are really pushing your credibility here. Didn't you say your Dad was going to get a Surface Pro?

I did and he's getting it for Christmas. I probably won't be using it. I'm getting a tablet as well but probably an iPad Mini or Nexus 7 or similar 7" tablet.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I'm a student so I might be able to get it cheaper if I use software4students.
    Nope. Microsoft put an end to that last year when every man and his dog started using it to get cheap licences they weren't entitled to.

Students (as in real students - with a university email account) can still get discounted Office in the form of a 365 4-year subscription.

Everything else is basically just regular retail boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Nope. Microsoft put an end to that last year when every man and his dog started using it to get cheap licences they weren't entitled to.

Students (as in real students - with a university email account) can still get discounted Office in the form of a 365 4-year subscription.

Everything else is basically just regular retail boxes.

Think she was replying to the hight price of Parallels at £65

Software 4 Students have this listed at £35, thats where I bought my copy, I'm not a student but have a 6 year old at primary school.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Well how was I to know it was useless?

You have mentioned probably in every Windows 8 Thread on here how bad Windows 8 is - am amazed you would even consider getting it...unless you have been posting nonsense before.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You have mentioned probably in every Windows 8 Thread on here how bad Windows 8 is - am amazed you would even consider getting it...unless you have been posting nonsense before.

It is rubbish but I'd be running it in a virtual machine so it wouldn't be taking over my Macbook Air altogether. It's probably tolerable in a VM :p
    Think she was replying to the hight price of Parallels at £65

Software 4 Students have this listed at £35, thats where I bought my copy, I'm not a student but have a 6 year old at primary school.

I was referring to Parallels and not Windoze. It's ridiculous that M$ charge so much for it. They should pay people to use it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It is rubbish but I'd be running it in a virtual machine so it wouldn't be taking over my Macbook Air altogether. It's probably tolerable in a VM :p

If you think it's rubbish then why buy it? :confused:

You can still get Windows 7 and use that instead - I'm not aware of any software that only runs on Windows 8.

I think it's more down to the fact it's not as rubbish as you keep trying to make out - if it was as bad as you say you would not use it.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member

I was referring to Parallels and not Windows. It's ridiculous that M$ charge so much for it. They should pay people to use it.

Think yourself lucky Microsoft allows you to run Windows on a Mac as Apple don't allow their OS to run on a Windows machine. If it was me I would increase the price of Parallels.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think yourself lucky Microsoft allows you to run Windows on a Mac as Apple don't allow their OS to run on a Windows machine. If it was me I would increase the price of Parallels.

nothing to do with Microsoft "allowing" it.

Windows is designed to run on multiple hardware configurations, and a macbook/imac/mac mini is just another piece of hardware as far as windows is concerned.

also, what is a "windows" machine?