Sky signal

suziequesuzieque Posts: 300
Forum Member
My mk4 dish was installed by Sky last year, I noticed the signal on input 1 was higher than input 2 but all works well with no problems even during snow.

I put the signal difference down to the quad lnb, yesterday I replaced the lnb with a new octo type all works well on all three boxes but the signal strength difference is still the same.

I presume this is normal ? and if so why ?

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get fluctuations in signal too between input 1 and 2 but its never a problem so I dont worry about it.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    There are slight differences in strength, depending on which transponder and which satellite the input is picking up.

The Quality is the more important thing to look at but even they can vary, Eurobird 1 tends to be a bit weaker.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I've read:

When Sky send the signal to the satellites in space, the signal is strong.

But when the signal arrives on your dish, the signal is weak.

Why?

Because it breaks up during the journey to your dish.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    This is what I've read:

When Sky send the signal to the satellites in space, the signal is strong.
    But when the signal arrives on your dish, the signal is weak.
    Why?
    Because it breaks up during the journey to your dish.
    Because the satellites are 25,000 miles away, and any radio signal that has just travelled 50,000 miles is going to be more than a tad weaker that when it left the source.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condition and length of cable can cause minute signal differences. And the quality of the connector terminations also. Cable may have been hit slightly with hammer when it was clipped maybe.