Double-Barrel Surnames.Is This a Way Of Saying...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
Look at me I'm Posh.:D

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

....or quite common.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Foghorn-Leghorn Esquire?

Are you posh :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A feller I know recently hyphenated his first and middle names.

Must be something to do with working for a French company.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    ....or quite common.

Or born out of wedlock? :D
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or born out of wedlock? :D

That's happening more and more at school. Not condemning it but it's a pain fitting names on the drawers :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to meet someone called Fortesque-Smythe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    That's happening more and more at school. Not condemning it but it's a pain fitting names on the drawers :)

Not wishing to generalise, but would you say it was across the board, or from more at one end of the social spectrum, so to speak..
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's often a way of saying, "We want the same surname, but neither of us are willing to drop ours completely."
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a double-barrelled surname and I'm far from posh :D
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son has a double barrelled surname. This is because I am not married to his father nor do we intend to get married and so one surname shouldn't have been given precedence over the other in our opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Mine will be double when I get married. Although this is more to do with not wanting to drop my surname totally than to seem posh! Although it will be very posh sounding! :o

I like my surname and it has become synonymous in my social circles.

If I dropped it, it would be like dropping most of my personality and reputation (a good one! before anyone comes back with filthy comments :p) which is not what I would like to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it as a sign of equality in a couple

(nb. I'm neither in a couple or have a double barrel surname at this time)
  • wemblycatwemblycat Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a double barrelled surname. I'm not posh, nor did I want to keep my own name particularly. My husband decided to change his name to incorporate mine (by deed poll) before the wedding, as a suprise.

I was certainly suprised cos I hated it for a couple of years. Got used to it now, but still cant say i love it. Its made our childrens names really long too, and difficult to spell for a 4 year old learning to write!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    My son has a double barrelled surname. This is because I am not married to his father nor do we intend to get married and so one surname shouldn't have been given precedence over the other in our opinion.

Best hope he doesn't meet, and then eventually have a child with, someone in the same position.....;)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alone wrote: »
    I see it as a sign of equality in a couple

(nb. I'm neither in a couple or have a double barrel surname at this time)

Ah yes.... but what happens when a double barrel marries a double barrel :D
    Forum Member
    wemblycat wrote: »
    I have a double barrelled surname. I'm not posh, nor did I want to keep my own name particularly. My husband decided to change his name to incorporate mine (by deed poll) before the wedding, as a suprise.

I was certainly suprised cos I hated it for a couple of years. Got used to it now, but still cant say i love it. Its made our childrens names really long too, and difficult to spell for a 4 year old learning to write!

But in the long run, according the recent name surveys splashed about the news, it will make them ultimately more successful! :D
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish i had gone 'double barrelled' when i got married ..... and it really does sound posh. I would be invited to all the society doo's if i changed my name ;)
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »

I know alot of them were actually created so that families who's surnames were lower down the ration lists could be bumped up to the top during the wars!

I worked with a girl who had a very posh double surname and when she told me, I didn't believe her, but my nan said that it deffinately happened. It was a way of avoiding the cheap cuts apparently!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

:D

well you don't have to sign for stuff anymore (chip and pin)
    computers/laptops/technology are on the rise - who knows in 20 years maybe we won't need to write with our hands :confused:

Although... debit/credit cards are going to have to get longer to fit all the text of the name on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted to meet someone called Fortesque-Smythe

I know a Tarquin Fortesque-Smythe...err not really ..if I did I wouldnt admit it.

But you must have given one name precedence, which name comes first in the double-barrelled name?

Personally I think its all pretentious BS.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's de rigeur in Spain, isn't it?

When Spaniards marry I figure the mum's name gets dropped. In modern Britain I imagine you'll have a choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a double-barrelled surname but it's not a combination of both my parent's names, it's just my dad's. It doesn't come across as "posh" because it's just one ordinary Pakistani name followed by another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I plan to double barrel my maiden name and married name if I get married. I don't think I am "posh" at all really, neither would I expect anyone to think I was, or trying to be.

I don't really see why I should drop my Dad's name after marriage, although admittedly, for practical reasons I will just use one or the other most of the time.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »
    But you must have given one name precedence, which name comes first in the double-barrelled name?

Personally I think its all pretentious BS.

Funnily enough,that was mine - but purely because it sounded better the way it is rather than the "other way" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough,that was mine - but purely because it sounded better the way it is rather than the "other way" :)

as long as your partner was happy with that...then thats all that matters :)