Nvidia GeForce GTS240 with groaning fan

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
A couple of weeks ago this started making a racket, but it seemed to be dust and I managed to get rid of it. Thought the problem had gone away.

Then last night it happened again. And it won't stop.

I've seen on other forums that - and I ended up doing this last time to get close to blowing some dust out and it helped make it go away - lying the PC on its side helps.

However, that's not helping here, and using GPU-Z to measure the temp of the GPU I saw it creeping up past 75 C and further. As it hit 100, I shut the PC down. Before I measured the temp, I'd switch it on and left it on, hoping the noise would go away, but it didn't and when I went back to the PC (I have 2 PCs sharing a monitor, the 2nd one also outputting to the TV), the GPU fan had still been making a racket but now the screen had gone black so I guess that means it's not enjoying being too hot.

Would the answer be a compressed air can to get rid of the excess dust that can't be blown away normally (I saw on Ebay they're about £3, so I'd order one on there rather than spending a tenner at Maplin) or after almost 3 years, is it time for this graphics card to go to graphics card heaven? :(

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Why not just replace the fan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the fan design as to how 'clean' you can get them. I remember an old radeon I had used to get really clogged up and compressed air would clean it so well. As the air could reach all the bits I couldn't blow into.

Also had cards which are really easy to clean fan.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why not just replace the fan?

It looks rather enclosed, so a bit of a nightmare to get to.

If it can be sorted an easier way, I'd rather do that.

Ta to DeelyBopper, also. I'm more inclined to go the compressed air route if there's a chance it'll sort it.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop messing about with trivia and replace the fan, it's dead, deceased, passed away, in heaven, meeting it's maker. perhaps not the latter as they should be in hell for producing cheap nasty fans.

Cleaning it and oiling it are quite short term solutions, merely postponing the inevitable.

Think of it as learning experience, buy Graphics Cards with standard easily accessible fans that can be replaced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Stop messing about with trivia and replace the fan, it's dead, deceased, passed away, in heaven, meeting it's maker. perhaps not the latter as they should be in hell for producing cheap nasty fans.

Cleaning it and oiling it are quite short term solutions, merely postponing the inevitable.

Think of it as learning experience, buy Graphics Cards with standard easily accessible fans that can be replaced.

The card came with the PC, but looking for a replacement fan (apparently this one fits this card, from another google I did), the replacement costs almost £50! :mad:

I think I'd rather try the compressed air, first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Zalman+VF900+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

PS. Why does the graphics card get hotter just because the fan is making a racket?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    The card came with the PC, but looking for a replacement fan (apparently this one fits this card, from another google I did), the replacement costs almost £50! :mad:

I think I'd rather try the compressed air, first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Zalman+VF900+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

PS. Why does the graphics card get hotter just because the fan is making a racket?

It's making a racket because its not working properly (for whatever reason). Not working properly means its not cooling properly. Not cooling properly means it can't lower the temps as efficiently. Not lowering the temps as efficiently means card gets hotter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's making a racket because its not working properly (for whatever reason). Not working properly means its not cooling properly. Not cooling properly means it can't lower the temps as efficiently. Not lowering the temps as efficiently means card gets hotter.

Ta muchly. That all makes sense.

It's frustrating that whatever was in the way of it a couple of weeks ago, I was able to bat away, and yet now it's being bloody-minded. :mad:
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    It might just be more ideal to replace the card. You can get cheap graphics card for as low £20, what is it you do on the PC ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    It might just be more ideal to replace the card. You can get cheap graphics card for as low £20, what is it you do on the PC ?

Mostly recording HD gaming footage, some HD video rendering, and needs two outputs where I can clone the desktop on both.

Saw this card is available locally and is £35, while on Amazon it's £29, so I could go and buy it tomorrow.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/b-grade-asus-nvidia-geforce-gt610-2gb-graphics-card-682816

That said, the top sticks up like a hedgehog where my Blackmagic capture card is, but I can move that down one slot.

Any recommendations for graphics cards (I prefer nvidia to Radeon) most welcomed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone any thoughts on the card, please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTS 240 has a bandwidth of 70.4 GB/s on a 256 bit bus width.

If you are looking for at least a like for like replacement that GT260 isn't going to work. It's a basic card not really for gaming (64 bit bus with 14.4 GB/s bandwidth).

If you are playing at HD resolution and using something like fraps to record as you play you'll need something meatier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_600_Series

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Something like a GTX 650 or GTX 650 Ti maybe. From the previous generation GTX 550 Ti if you can get a saving over 650.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the info and the links. I mistakenly thought that all of the GT2xx series was superceded by the GT6xx series.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8100 and the GTS240 is a PCIe 2.0 x16 card, so would the GTX650 work as it's PCIe 3.0 x16, please? I had a look for info on that, but couldn't find anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's backward compatible to PCIe 2.0.

Just need to make sure your PSU has connectors for graphics power as that card looks to have one 6 pin (and I believe some 650 don't).

It runs on less power than your existing card so the PSU should still be adequate for the new card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's backward compatible to PCIe 2.0.

Ta muchly.
    Just need to make sure your PSU has connectors for graphics power as that card looks to have one 6 pin (and I believe some 650 don't).

It runs on less power than your existing card so the PSU should still be adequate for the new card.

My GTS240 has a 6-pin power connection which is plugged into the PSU at the moment. Are you saying the 650s run on something else?

I'm also concerned that the 650 has a 'height' of 6cm, according to Amazon, as in the pic, you can see that there's the GTS240 at the top, then a slot which is filled by my Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card, then another slot I could move that too, then another slot entirely, so it looks like I can't fit the GTX650 *and* the Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card in there together?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098VKIQI

Pic: http://dvdfever.co.uk/xps8100.jpg
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Take the card out and have a good look at the dust build up. If there's a lot, buy the tin of compressed air and carefully use a cotton bud to clean the blades and vents. Even if it doesn't make a difference, the compressed air will still come in handy in the future.

Also bear in mind that the warmer weather will obviously have an effect on the temp levels inside the machine, so this is the time of year when overheating or fan problems can commonly manifest.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One other thing about the fan...

On most fans, underneath the sticker on the underside of the fan shaft, theres a small rubber cap, under which is the fan shaft.

It may look something like this.

You can lubricate this by putting a small amount of white grease into the shaft area under the cap (WD40 may be used as a temporary short-term solution), replace the cap and the sticker
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta muchly.

My GTS240 has a 6-pin power connection which is plugged into the PSU at the moment. Are you saying the 650s run on something else?

I'm also concerned that the 650 has a 'height' of 6cm, according to Amazon, as in the pic, you can see that there's the GTS240 at the top, then a slot which is filled by my Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card, then another slot I could move that too, then another slot entirely, so it looks like I can't fit the GTX650 *and* the Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card in there together?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098VKIQI

Pic: http://dvdfever.co.uk/xps8100.jpg

Was only checking to make sure you had extra power. Some psu's don't have extra connectors for aux graphics power. Yours does so not an issue. Its a standard 6 pin connector.

It looks to me that you can just drop the Blackmagic down to the next slot which then frees up space to allow for a double width graphics card (to fit in your current spot). Alternatively, there may be single slot solution I'm not sure. But even if so, I'd be inclined to move the Blackmagic away from the graphics if there is room to do so (for ventilation purposes).
    max99 wrote: »
    Take the card out and have a good look at the dust build up. If there's a lot, buy the tin of compressed air and carefully use a cotton bud to clean the blades and vents. Even if it doesn't make a difference, the compressed air will still come in handy in the future.

Also bear in mind that the warmer weather will obviously have an effect on the temp levels inside the machine, so this is the time of year when overheating or fan problems can commonly manifest.

Weather highlighted a lack of cooling when I ran the older hot running graphics (most of the modern stuff is cool running now). I had a HD 4890 which would reach 90 degrees, in a really old case (I kept upgrading the parts). It only had one case fan and after a couple of hours of Summer gaming the system would shut itself down as the case couldn't get rid of the heat quickly enough. Upgrading my case to one that had 7 fan slots (only use 3) solved the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm going to give the compressed air route a try first, I've decided, as I just had a poke around in it with cotton buds, cleared out some dust and when I switched it back on, I heard it making very little noise, at first anyway.

After a few mins, it's sounding like a 1940s biplane in serious need of landing.

Thanks to DeelyBopper also, for the suggestion to move the capture card into the next slot for ventilation. I've done that now.

Hadn't thought about that, but now you mention it, I've noticed that a few years ago, so ta for the reminder.
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    One other thing about the fan...

On most fans, underneath the sticker on the underside of the fan shaft, theres a small rubber cap, under which is the fan shaft.

It may look something like this.

You can lubricate this by putting a small amount of white grease into the shaft area under the cap (WD40 may be used as a temporary short-term solution), replace the cap and the sticker

I've read about putting some grease on it. The link didn't work, but is there a particular brand that's good to get, and would I just get it from the likes of Halfords, for example?
    Was only checking to make sure you had extra power. Some psu's don't have extra connectors for aux graphics power. Yours does so not an issue. Its a standard 6 pin connector.

Ta. I had a mini-panic as I saw a video of another guy replacing a graphics card - the new one had a different power connector - and he had to change the PSU as a result.
    It looks to me that you can just drop the Blackmagic down to the next slot which then frees up space to allow for a double width graphics card (to fit in your current spot). Alternatively, there may be single slot solution I'm not sure. But even if so, I'd be inclined to move the Blackmagic away from the graphics if there is room to do so (for ventilation purposes).

Tis done now, ta.
    Weather highlighted a lack of cooling when I ran the older hot running graphics (most of the modern stuff is cool running now). I had a HD 4890 which would reach 90 degrees, in a really old case (I kept upgrading the parts). It only had one case fan and after a couple of hours of Summer gaming the system would shut itself down as the case couldn't get rid of the heat quickly enough. Upgrading my case to one that had 7 fan slots (only use 3) solved the problem.

And that's what I'm reminded of, re: my earlier comment in this post. It was a hot summer and I stupidly thought I'd leave the PC on overnight so I didn't lose my place in a game (should've just saved it!) and it switched off during the night.

Also, I tried to take the card out, but thanks to the way this machine is built, the card is so long that one of the hard drives *just* backs onto it, so I'd have to take that out first (grrr!)
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    After a few mins, it's sounding like a 1940s biplane in serious need of landing.

Unless there's still a lot of dust, if it's sounding that bad, chances are the compressed air isn't going to fix it.

What make card is it? Can you link to the exact card with the same fan?

How about the rest of the machine? Are the other vents and fans free of dust and working correctly? If you leave the side of the case off, does the graphics card fan still behave in the same way?

As for lubricating the fan, just try a small spray of WD40 if that's all you have for now. It can sometimes make a huge difference.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lubricate+pc+fan&oq=lubricate+pc+fan&gs_l=youtube.3...9999.11862.0.11926.10.10.0.0.0.0.85.657.9.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Ar08vK0pbhQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless there's still a lot of dust, if it's sounding that bad, chances are the compressed air isn't going to fix it.

Indeed :(
    What make card is it? Can you link to the exact card with the same fan?

Nvidia Geforce GTS240 - not the best pic, but the best I could find.
    http://techreport.com/r.x/2009q3/gts240_il.jpg
    How about the rest of the machine? Are the other vents and fans free of dust and working correctly? If you leave the side of the case off, does the graphics card fan still behave in the same way?

It did last time I tried it.
    As for lubricating the fan, just try a small spray of WD40 if that's all you have for now. It can sometimes make a huge difference.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lubricate+pc+fan&oq=lubricate+pc+fan&gs_l=youtube.3...9999.11862.0.11926.10.10.0.0.0.0.85.657.9.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Ar08vK0pbhQ

I don't have anything at the moment, but I see sewing machine oil is about £3-4 inc. P&P on Ebay. That stuff was recommended on the first video link.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Oil and WD40 are at best temporary fixes, they will clog up the fan. Look for a replacement fan and fit it, you won't regret it.

I don't do gaming, so I've found that fanless graphics cards are adequate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Oil and WD40 are at best temporary fixes, they will clog up the fan. Look for a replacement fan and fit it, you won't regret it.

Unfortunately, as per the link I gave earlier, a replacement fan costs almost £50.
    I don't do gaming, so I've found that fanless graphics cards are adequate.

I don't even game on this PC, but rendering/capturing HD video pushes the card hard.

BTW, this afternoon and tonight I've tried using it after giving it a cleanout with a cotton bud and sometimes it rattles like a demon (and the temp & fan speed go up) and sometimes it's silent as no problem at all (and both the fan speed and temp go down). Wish I could make sense of it :/
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disregard KJ44s post, the fan won't be clogged up as long as you use either sewing machine grade oil or white grease (it definitely won't clog up with something as thin as WD40, which was only suggested as an emergency substitute). The aforementioned space under the rubber cap over the fan shaft is actually intended for lubrication.

Even a replacement fan is ultimately a 'temporary' fix, as it will have the same problem eventually. And as you've found, getting a replacement fan for a graphics card isn't really an option, as most of them are custom made.

And the 'rattling' is definitely a lubrication problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    Disregard KJ44s post, the fan won't be clogged up as long as you use either sewing machine grade oil or white grease (it definitely won't clog up with something as thin as WD40, which was only suggested as an emergency substitute). The aforementioned space under the rubber cap over the fan shaft is actually intended for lubrication.

Doesn't that require taking the fan off the card in the first place? That said, I'd need to take the metal cover off the fan and heatsink before attempting that.
    Even a replacement fan is ultimately a 'temporary' fix, as it will have the same problem eventually. And as you've found, getting a replacement fan for a graphics card isn't really an option, as most of them are custom made.

Part of me is surprised they don't make replacement fans - since you can get CPU fans - but then another part of me isn't because some parts of some industries are complete and utter... :mad:
    And the 'rattling' is definitely a lubrication problem.

As I said to my missus last night ;)

Seriously, I'm going to try the compressed air can first, but since that'll that'll take a few days to arrive I think I'll order the sewing oil as well. Both only cost a few quid inc. P&P and it seems I'll need both in the long run.

Annoyingly, although I've laid the PC down on its side at the moment, it stopped moaning last night for a while, but I wanted to burn a disc and turned it upright. It started groaning and then wouldn't stop once I'd finished that and put it back as it was before, so I had to switch it off in the end.

Either way, to have to lie it on its side isn't ideal anyway.