Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I have posted the following:

[*]Added S2 to the wardrobe set. DM has worn 25 different ties in the first 2 series. Interestingly, he did not recycle any of the S1 ties in S2!

MC wore one of the brown DM ties on a TV show - Could have been QI with Stephen Fry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Can you imagine what the quasi-religious blogger would do with the idea of "resurrected" applied to anything but the bible?

Can you imagine what that blogger is going to do when he gets to s5e1 where they drop Joan's casket, DM delivers his eulogy and JP answers his phone during the service! :D:D:D

Personally, I don't think that quasi-religious blogger Deserves to watch Doc Martin. Negative nincompoop!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think that quasi-religious blogger Deserves to watch Doc Martin. Negative nincompoop!

Unctuous platitudinous eunuch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but it is very interesting to see what other people see when they watch DM. Everyone's mindset and baggage changes their perspective of the show. Even those addicted to it like us on the forum see different things in various scenes. Most shows spell the writer's intention out for you so don't have to work through it but DM writers don't. I think that might be :confused::confused: what is addictive about the show.

I know it is a bit off the point but John Cleese on the Graham Norton Show with Martin Clunes was very interested in the different countries sense of humour and how some parts of Europe just don't get the british sense of humour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Perhaps we should see if we can get him hooked on the French version - what might he have to say about DM in a speedo?

Just wondering - did he look redeemed or resurrected????:o
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Perhaps we should see if we can get him hooked on the French version - what might he have to say about DM in a speedo?

If our DM was forced to wear Speedos he would realize he not only wasn't redeemed, he was actually dead and in Hell. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, he didn't look like Ryan Reynolds that's for sure.

http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/interviews/ryan-reynolds-interview-for-smokin-aces/attachment/ryan_reynolds_smokin_aces_7/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    If our DM was forced to wear Speedos he would realize he not only wasn't redeemed, he was actually dead and in Hell. ;)

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beautiful! Nobody messes with our Martin, nobody. :cool::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

But at least HE had the good sense not to wear Speedos!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have posted the following:
    1. S2 Locations - I have added several locations and added additional information on all.
    2. Added S2 to the wardrobe set. DM has worn 25 different ties in the first 2 series. Interestingly, he did not recycle any of the S1 ties in S2!
    3. In the Locations Maps set, added a couple of the new S2 locations

Have fun! I hope to post S3 locations soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets

Thanks for all your hard work - it's truly amazing! I know we are addressing the macro items first (location of the sets, set decoration, primary wardrobe), but when that's been catalogued, perhaps someone will take a look at the Doc's cufflinks. I'm still curious about the design and if they change from episode to episode. :)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I have ever read, they only shoot the interiors of the first floor of the surgery there....

...Oh, I also remember the person who visited the sets in S5 mentioned a set for the chemist, but that also surprised me because it is very obvious that most of the scenes that we saw in S5 really looked like they were set in the building there in the center of town. I say that because often the door is open and you can see activity on the street - and also we saw lots of fan photos of scenes being shot inside.

I suspect that some of the sets that they use in cottages or businesses in town may be shot out of order so that they not have to lease out the building for the entire summer. For instance, when they use the chemist, they have to turn the interior and the exterior from a gift shop to a chemist. I can't imagine that they have to do that several times over the summer (especially with the disruption to the business), but maybe they lease the business for a week and shoot scenes from several different episodes all at once? Just my speculation, but maybe someone who has been there knows?

Re: the s5 chemist shop--
    When we were in PI this spring, we took cover in the gift store that was used for the chemist shop during a huge downpour. We spent 45 min. or more waiting it out and having a lovely conversation with the owner and then the clerk. They talked about the shop being used for 9 days shooting, the way the film crew came in to store away the merchandise, and then redress it as the chemist shop, and then restore the gift shop merchandise and shelving as it was when they were done. The store was the same shade of green we've come to know and love and the same figurehead was on the front of the building. The clerk was happy for the store to be used as it gave her 9 days paid off.

So my impression is that they do indeed shoot scenes as it makes sense logistically and not necessarily in the order they occur when we see them. I do believe Ben Bolt has been mentioned as part of his job is refreshing the actors' memories as to where the part they are about to do falls in the story line.

That all being said, I don't know any of it for absolute fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your hard work - it's truly amazing! I know we are addressing the macro items first (location of the sets, set decoration, primary wardrobe), but when that's been catalogued, perhaps someone will take a look at the Doc's cufflinks. I'm still curious about the design and if they change from episode to episode. :)

I just noticed you get a pretty good look at the cufflinks in the s3 ep5 when Doc is tending to Holly on the floor at Louisa's. They look square-ish and silver or white gold, but I can't make out anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my impression is that they do indeed shoot scenes as it makes sense logistically and not necessarily in the order they occur when we see them. I do believe Ben Bolt has been mentioned as part of his job is refreshing the actors' memories as to where the part they are about to do falls in the story line.

I think we can figure out if they shoot all together or out of sequence if we study MC's haircut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Death in Paradise / DCI Banks
    Our local PBS station is just starting to run the series Death in Paradise with Ben Miller, Stewart the park ranger from DM. I was very disappointed. It was so formulaic.

A detective inspector is transferred from the Met in London to the island of Saint-Marie in the Caribbean; unfortunately, he dislikes sun, sea and sand. (sound familiar?)

They are also starting to run DCI Banks and it looks like it could be good. Not Prime Suspect, of course, but watchable. There are, I think 2 seasons before Caroline Catz joined the cast.

Yup, we just started having DCI Banks also in Portland and I watched the episode Friday night and the character grew on me. Not Doc Martin you understand, but an intriguing DCI I thought. And CC is in series 3, yes, so we must be patient.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can figure out if they shoot all together or out of sequence if we study MC's haircut.

I don't know about that, as with hair stylists and makeup people, wardrobe people, etc. all around every day, they can keep hair and other unruly things pretty well groomed and consistent, maybe, but again just a guess.

Are you in Portland or SoCal now, just wondering?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Nobody messes with our Martin, nobody. :cool::)

Agreed.:)

I did just check in on the Biblical Christianity blogger again and he and his wife have now finished through series 5, and he has added an addendum to his original blog about it.

While he seems to praise the show for the acting and other stuff, but still seems to damn it for lack of "redemption". I'm still struggling with his whole premise and somehow just can't seem to articulate it yet. I actually find it even a bit ludicrous that he compares it to House the way he does.

Well, who knows, maybe I'm just all wet. But I suppose it could be that..........:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about that, as with hair stylists and makeup people, wardrobe people, etc. all around every day, they can keep hair and other unruly things pretty well groomed and consistent, maybe, but again just a guess.

Are you in Portland or SoCal now, just wondering?

Actually, I think there's a good chance that we can. His hair does change - it gets longer or shorter. Remember, someone remarked about his "curls" when he and LG kissed under the tree at the concert? You can also sometimes notice right after it's cut that there is a tan "gap."

So, if we looked at the shots in the chemist's shop all together for a series that would be a clue. There might be other subtle clues, like his facial tan. Not sure, but I think he may have gotten more color toward the end of certain series - or during certain episodes where there was more shooting outside. In the finale of S4 I think he had a cold and you could hear it in his voice and, in some scenes, see it in his eyes. So we could also look for discontinuity for these things when they pop in a scene from the chemist's. Of course, who has the time to do this? :p

In answer to my location, I'm in Orange County this week (home on vacation) where the weather is 75 and beautiful! I understand it's been freezing in Portland.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.:)

I did just check in on the Biblical Christianity blogger again and he and his wife have now finished through series 5, and he has added an addendum to his original blog about it.

While he seems to praise the show for the acting and other stuff, but still seems to damn it for lack of "redemption". I'm still struggling with his whole premise and somehow just can't seem to articulate it yet. I actually find it even a bit ludicrous that he compares it to House the way he does.

Well, who knows, maybe I'm just all wet. But I suppose it could be that..........:rolleyes:

I actually thought his last addition was even more negative than the original. He seems to take the worst possible, most judgmental view of each character, including and especially Louisa,who he basically calls selfish.:mad:

Personally, I think that while the we are shown characters in a lot of complexity, with many flaws -- which is quite realistic - the show's point of view does NOT condemn them, but seems to have a point of view which is both ironic and even compassionate.

Which reminds me of what Joe Penhale says to Martin in S3E6, when he is telling him how to succeed with women --that above all, you need "compassion." I thought that was an example of wisdom being offered to DM from unlikely sources.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some characters are definitely NOT treated compassionately -- e,.g., the annoying midwife, and Mark's aromatherapy sister. Also, the Wenn parents and the Oakwood parents. Those people all lack humility, for one thing. Any other examples of characters who are given no "redeeming" features or otherwise softened?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: the s5 chemist shop--
    When we were in PI this spring, we took cover in the gift store that was used for the chemist shop during a huge downpour. We spent 45 min. or more waiting it out and having a lovely conversation with the owner and then the clerk. They talked about the shop being used for 9 days shooting, the way the film crew came in to store away the merchandise, and then redress it as the chemist shop, and then restore the gift shop merchandise and shelving as it was when they were done. The store was the same shade of green we've come to know and love and the same figurehead was on the front of the building. The clerk was happy for the store to be used as it gave her 9 days paid off.

Thank you Susie! Glad to hear my suspicion was correct. Sounds like you got the answer right from the horse's mouth so it is really good information. I wonder what that was all about when they said they saw the chemist set at the farm? Maybe they have something set up to use for any necessary reshoots since there are quite a few scenes set in the chemist's every series?
    Forum Member
    Previous forums

Are there indeed 13 previous DM forums? I clicked on the link in the 1st message on this one and it did take me to #13. I tried to search DS a previous time but did not come up with any other DM forums. Being a newcomer, it would be interesting to see comments from previous forums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Previous forums

Are there indeed 13 previous DM forums? I clicked on the link in the 1st message on this one and it did take me to #13. I tried to search DS a previous time but did not come up with any other DM forums. Being a newcomer, it would be interesting to see comments from previous forums.

Yes, indeed there are, and we are probably about to start the 15th. But I would try to go back to the beginning.
    Forum Member
    Horizontal hope?????

Just read the latest comments by the redemption-phobia blogger and I found a term that I can't decipher....

'But at the end of the final episode, there's a sweet reunion that does give some horizontal hope to both of them.'

I know what horizontal hope means to most of the commentors on this forum but what does this blogger mean? Is there some Christian theory of vertical and horizontal hope? Or is he just talking about the hope that their relationship may now continue on the same plane as the end of S5? He talks about DMs relationship to AJ also using that phrase.

I am no longer religious but I am glad that my early teachings were not by someone as full of themselves as this blogger.
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Yes, indeed there are, and we are probably about to start the 15th. But I would try to go back to the beginning.

Thanks, just tried searching again and there must be some secret to it. Were all previous forums named in the same way?
This discussion has been closed.