Choosing my first HD Camcorder

Good day all

As above, looking for a first HD camcorder. My last purchase was the then compact Sharp VIewcam - purchased to save having to walk around with one eye crunched to the viewfinder.;)

A long time ago - I'm sure you'd agree.

Looking to take for a sort of video-journal for forthcoming trip to Florida (December 12) but haven't a clue what I want or actually need! Hence the request from people who might have used as opposed to those who haven't or have a vested interest.

What do i want/require?

Budget - not really important - sub-£200 would be nice, but will pay a lot more if warrants the purchase.

Must have minimum 25x optical zoom and especially image stabilisation. Can be any HDD or SD cards (no preference) but as I've never downloaded must have decent (i.e. simple to use) image software.

Will be mainly for PC storage, online - maybe Youtube upload. I have heard it can take forever to download to DVD and playback on PS3/Bluray? - again I don't know but just what I pick-up.

Mixed reviews for both Panasonic & Sony models (SD80 & CX190 respectively). on Amazon and both pitched currently around £190.

Can anyone offer any assistance or even objectivity - good or bad?

Are there any comparison or review sites for HD Camcorders. I know I could just go out and buy "What camcorder" but that could get quite expensive lol.

Oh and just to mention, still pix are not important and I have no preference for brand.

THanks

Steve

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know somebody with the SD80 and they have been pretty satisfied with it.

TBH, all the camcorder should offer reasonable performance at the price with no major deficiencies.