Returning my Galaxy Tab.

GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 from Currys a few weeks ago and love it.

My only niggle is that sometimes when I switch it back on from a shut down it comes up with an error saying the SD card has an error on. Simply removing it and reinserting it cures it until the next time. I have tested a few micro SD cards but it happens to all of them.

Does anyone else have this issue or should I take it back?
Would Currys just to a swap or would it need to go away for a weeks to be looked at?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PlayamontePlayamonte Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoodBuddy wrote: »

My only niggle is that sometimes when I switch it back on from a shut down it comes up with an error saying the SD card has an error on. Simply removing it and reinserting it cures it until the next time. I have tested a few micro SD cards but it happens to all of them.

Would Currys just to a swap or would it need to go away for a weeks to be looked at?
    Thanks in advance.

Do not know about tablets myself but do know that they are obliged in law to replace it.
    They may well try to argue nicely that they will get their expert to correct it, but do not accept that & simply ask for a replacement.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

Is it a Tab 2 10.1 or Tab 3 10.1?
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Is it a Tab 2 10.1 or Tab 3 10.1?

Sorry forgot to mention its a Tab 2 10.1
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, how much did you pay for it?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no inside knowledge of this problem but if you haven't tried it yet then try formatting the SD card while it's within the Galaxy Tab.

If you have done this then you could try the opposite, format the SD card while in an external reader attached to a PC/Laptop.

Or likely your laptop has a SD card reader slot, format it in there (with a micro SD adapter of course)

Here's some complaints about Tab 2 7":
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2/687597-galaxy-tab-2-7-0-when-starting-up-sd-card-damaged-message.html
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playamonte wrote: »
    Do not know about tablets myself but do know that they are obliged in law to replace it.

Not true in the UK, once you have 'accepted' the item the retailer is in his legal right to have the item repaired.

The time limit to 'accept' an item is not specified in the SOGA but consider what an 'impartial' person in court would think reasonable for the item in question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, how much did you pay for it?
    It was £210
    Tassium wrote: »

Thanks- it seems that I am not alone and is a known issue. My Galaxy Ace 2 sometimes has issues with the sd card as well.:(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Thanks- it seems that I am not alone and is a known issue. My Galaxy Ace 2 sometimes has issues with the sd card as well.:(

Strange. I have that phone and I've never had any trouble with the SD card, but maybe that was because it was put in by the guy in Phones 4 U who set up the phone for me and the card was never near a computer. It was fresh out of the pack.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's under 28 days old then Currys should replace with a new one. If it's over that then they may return it to Samsung for repair under Samsung's warranty or advise you to return to Samsung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Not true in the UK, once you have 'accepted' the item the retailer is in his legal right to have the item repaired.

The time limit to 'accept' an item is not specified in the SOGA but consider what an 'impartial' person in court would think reasonable for the item in question.

Are you sure about that ?
    Under SOGA and DSR you are entitled to receive fit-for-purpose as-described goods and, if what you receive aren't, to be reimbursed for costs in returning faulty goods for replacement or refund.

The above is my understanding of the regs & it would seem from what the OP posted that its not Fit-For-Purpose.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SoG Act is under going some changes and one of the main ones is that the retailer has one chance to repair an item and if that item breakdown again before the guarantee expires regardless if it’s the same fault or not the consumer is entitled to a full refund.

This puts the costumer at the advantage and the retailer will only be making things worst for themselves by fobbing customers off.

I don’t know when these changes are coming but I first read about them at the beginning of the year so it must be soon if not already implemented.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    The SoG Act is under going some changes and one of the main ones is that the retailer has one chance to repair an item and if that item breakdown again before the guarantee expires regardless if it’s the same fault or not the consumer is entitled to a full refund.

This puts the costumer at the advantage and the retailer will only be making things worst for themselves by fobbing customers off.

I don’t know when these changes are coming but I first read about them at the beginning of the year so it must be soon if not already implemented.

Or if it's within 28 days of the purchase date the customer is entitled to a refund or replacement (it's the policy of most stores anyway). Also, if the product turns out to have some kind of defect within 6 months it's up to the retailer to prove it wasn't there at the time of sale, so the product must be repaired, replaced or the customer is refunded.

I had the same issue. I returned an Asus Transformer Pad TF300T to Argos due to LCD banding and creaking. It came back in a worse condition as the glass wasn't bonded and the device's casing was bent and 'popping' apart. It was also scratched. After that attempt at fixing it I exchanged it for a Note 10.1. Asus support is crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

There was a suggestion on here about un mounting your card each time the tablet shuts down. I have tried this and so far it works fine when booting up and no more card errors touch wood.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a suggestion on here about un mounting your card each time the tablet shuts down. I have tried this and so far it works fine when booting up and no more card errors touch wood.:)

Just take the bloody thing back to the store. :rolleyes: