AMC's Hell On Wheels coming to TCM UK April 2012

lalalala Posts: 21,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to this site http://www.geektown.co.uk/uk-air-dates/

Very unusual channel for such a high profile-ish show to be on. Guess they got the rights quite cheaply then.

Will give this ago as I have heard some very good things about it on here and on the web. I believe it has been renewed for a second season. Plus it's an AMC show and I've yet to be completely disappointed with anything they've done so far.

I hope TCM will finally go proper 16:9 widescreen when they do broadcast this though. Otherwise I may have to require this by other means.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good show yes and deserves a wider airing over here.

Almost agree with the AMC comment except remember they were also the US broadcaster for The Prisoner remake that I still cannot forgive them for.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    It's a good show yes and deserves a wider airing over here.

Almost agree with the AMC comment except remember they were also the US broadcaster for The Prisoner remake that I still cannot forgive them for.

Co-Produced by ITV though I believe... So they cannot be fully blamed for that.:D
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    If it were cheap a bigger player would have had it for filler, more likely TCM gambled most of their budget getting one high profile show.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s okayish. It didn’t really deliver for me however and I’d doubt I’d go back to watch a second season (asuming it's renewed).
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    ...(asuming it's renewed).

It was renewed.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any more idea when this is due to air in the UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any more idea when this is due to air in the UK

May/June is a possibility according to this site(which got the Breaking Bad news correct-ish)

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/02/tcm-eyeing-summer-premiere-for-hell-on-wheels/

Hopefully TCMUK will have gone widescreen by then(and even HD???)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCM France goes HD & Widescreen(link thanks to Parker 45 in the Sky+HD thread). 5th April is the date according to this.

http://tcmcinema.fr/2012/01/17/tcm-la-chaine-du-grand-cinema-se-lance-en-hd/

Let's hope we are not too far behind?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickywal wrote: »

It will probably be shown in 4:3 letterbox? No news at all on TCMUK going widescreen.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any more thoughts on whether this will be worth watching?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Any more thoughts on whether this will be worth watching?

I watched all of season one and liked it very much. Different people have different tastes, of course, but i recommend checking it out.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it started yet? title says April. if so will there be repeats?

TCM is not a channel I tend to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    It starts this Sunday. I'm looking forward to this.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts this Sunday. I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks, series link added.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R1 DVD out tomorrow for those who don't want to watch on TCM
    http://www.amazon.com/Hell-On-Wheels-Complete-Season/dp/B0075FF5QM/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1337261332&sr=1-2

R2 DVD released on 23rd July according to AmazonUK. Pre-order price of £26( 3-Discs). Though this may come down as release date gets nearer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pilot is repeated on TCM2 at 10pm. And there is a repeat on the following Thursday on TCM/TCM2 in case of recording clashes etc.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I watched all of season one and liked it very much. Different people have different tastes, of course, but i recommend checking it out.

Thanks. I'll certainly try to catch it, either tonight or Thursday.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Heard a lot of ppl say it is boring and the pace overly slow, will give it a go though.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Almost forgot about this, I'll be checking it out. And Deadwood is repeated afterwards, so perfect time to give that a re-watch too.

Unfortunately TCM very rarely has series link on my V+.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure the Deadwood episodes are from season 2. They showed season 1 a few months back. I was hoping it was season 1 again as I lost the first season when my sky box was replaced!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to watch Hell on Wheels a day later on Sky+.

I thought it was pretty good, and whilst the first episode (apart from a brief attack on a camp) wasn't very fast paced, I think it has the potential to have a great story so I shall be sticking with it. It's something different to a lot of other stuff on tv.

My only gripe is that the guy who plays the railroad boss (he who was in one of the Star Trek series') I have never rated as an actor and for him to have such a big part does detract a bit, but that's just my opinion, and it's not enough to stop me watching and enjoying the show.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the 7th episode if you like westerns like me then this is definitley a programme for you I'm glad it has got a second series.
    Anson Mount and Colm Meaney are excellent and The Swede is a great creepy villain,
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »

My only gripe is that the guy who plays the railroad boss (he who was in one of the Star Trek series') I have never rated as an actor and for him to have such a big part does detract a bit, but that's just my opinion, and it's not enough to stop me watching and enjoying the show.

I think he is great in it , definitley different opinions. :D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always loved Colm Meaney, a career that sees him swing between being a hopeless fish and chip shop seller in Barrytown one minute and an international terrorist arms dealer tackling Steven Segal the next. :D

Continuing roles in several genre shows whilst still managing such excellent films as Layer Cake, Con Air, War of the Butttons, The Damned United, even a small part in Die Hard 2 (let's not mention Far and Away). He either has a bloody good agent who is worth every penny or comprimising photographs of a lot of casting agents. :p