Do you remember when Resident evil was actually scary?

chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
Forum Member
For me anyway,when i was young.It would be the game i was pretty scared of playing during the night.The creepy locations/the dogs/the birds/the passing anything in a container scared it might break out.The camera angles/the groans as you enter a hallway/the 2 way mirrors

The dread when the music hit and that guy came after you in nemises.the relief when you got into a room with weapons or the safe haven of an ink ribon.and the hard choice of selecting weapons ad bullets to brnig with you...

why have they made this into a shoot um up?:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me anyway,when i was young.It would be the game i was pretty scared of playing during the night.The creepy locations/the dogs/the birds/the passing anything in a container scared it might break out.The camera angles/the groans as you enter a hallway/the 2 way mirrors

The dread when the music hit and that guy came after you in nemises.the relief when you got into a room with weapons or the safe haven of an ink ribon.and the hard choice of selecting weapons ad bullets to brnig with you...

why have they made this into a shoot um up?:confused:

Because without resident evil 4 and the change to action the series would be dead

Resident evil 4 was so well received and many consider it not just one of the best resident evil games but one of the best games ever

Resident Evil 5 was even more of an action game completely dropping any horror and was the highest selling resident evil game

Resident evil 6 was the obvious next step, but it turned out to be a marmite game
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    pfft, Silent Hill was scarier.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a similar reaction as this guy when i first met the pooches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGx-miGbF-Q

The music was tense but the thing i remember which really freaked me out was the Keepers Diary:

May 9, 1998

At night, we played poker with Scott the guard, Alias and Steve the researcher.

Steve was very lucky, but I think he was cheating. What a scumbag.

May 10th 1998

Today, a high ranking researcher asked me to take care of a new monster. It looks like a gorilla without any skin. They told me to feed them live food. When I threw in a pig, they were playing with it... tearing off the pig's legs and pulling out the guts before they actually ate it.

May 11th 1998

Around 5 o'clock this morning, Scott came in and woke me up suddenly. He was wearing a protective suit that looks like a space suit. He told me to put one on as well. I heard there was an accident in the basement lab. It's no wonder, those researchers never rest, even at night.

May 12th 1998

I've been wearing this annoying space suit since yesterday, my skin grows musty and feels very itchy. By way of revenge, I didn't feed those dogs today. Now I feel better.

May 13th 1998

I went to the medical room because my back is all swollen and feels itchy. They put a big bandage on my back and the doctor told me I did not need to wear the space suit any more. I guess I can sleep well tonight.

May 14th 1998

When I woke up this morning, I found another blister on my foot. It was annoying and I ended up dragging my foot as I went to the dog's pen. They have been quiet since morning, which is very unusual. I found that some of them had escaped. I'll be in real trouble if the higher-ups find out.

May 15th 1998

Even though I didn't feel well, I decided to go see Nancy. It's my first day off in a long time but I was stopped by the guard on the way out. They say the company has ordered that no one leave the grounds. I can't even make a phone call. What kind of joke is this?!

May 16th 1998

I heard a researcher who tried to escape from this mansion was shot last night. My entire body feels burning and itchy at night. When I was scratching the swelling on my arms, a lump of rotten flesh dropped off. What the hell is happening to me?

May 19, 1998

Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy Itchy Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

Itchy.
    Tasty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I think RE 2 was the defining moment for me.
    RE 3 was okay but didn't have the atmosphere of 2 personally for me.
    I know 4 is heralded as the greatest but I'm sticking with 2 as it was part of my growing up.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i never got scared of those games but i used to love watching people play them and could see why they would jump :D now though i can't see any reason to be scared of them, they have lost all the tension that the old games used to have.

I remember my brother getting scared of the Maggot monster thing in Resident Evil Outbreak :p
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Last of Us basically shows the direction Resident Evil should have gone. Instead they turned it into a crappy shooter.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Because without resident evil 4 and the change to action the series would be dead

Resident evil 4 was so well received and many consider it not just one of the best resident evil games but one of the best games ever

Resident Evil 5 was even more of an action game completely dropping any horror and was the highest selling resident evil game

Resident evil 6 was the obvious next step, but it turned out to be a marmite game

This, exactly this.

Regardless of what WE might think, the simple fact is that survival horror does not sell anymore. Dead Space is the closest thing to a commercial success the genre has had since the PS2 Silent Hill games, and even then it is closer to Resi 4 than any games prior to it. The other top survival horror games of recent times (thinking Amnesia and Slender) have been indie titles.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not defending modern Resi. 4 was excellent but the last two have been awful. I'd LOVE to see a return to survival horror. But we won't, because hardcore/dedicated gamers only make up a small proportion of the market, and the core market at the moment is saturated with shooters. Capcom are in the money-making business.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    This, exactly this.

Regardless of what WE might think, the simple fact is that survival horror does not sell anymore. Dead Space is the closest thing to a commercial success the genre has had since the PS2 Silent Hill games, and even then it is closer to Resi 4 than any games prior to it. The other top survival horror games of recent times (thinking Amnesia and Slender) have been indie titles.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not defending modern Resi. 4 was excellent but the last two have been awful. I'd LOVE to see a return to survival horror. But we won't, because hardcore/dedicated gamers only make up a small proportion of the market, and the core market at the moment is saturated with shooters. Capcom are in the money-making business.

Yep! Evolve or Die! ... It's that simple! :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RE4 is easily the best game inf ranchise, just a damn shame 5/6 have gone backwards,they should have built on it!
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    KrazehJeff wrote: »
    I think RE 2 was the defining moment for me.
    RE 3 was okay but didn't have the atmosphere of 2 personally for me.
    I know 4 is heralded as the greatest but I'm sticking with 2 as it was part of my growing up.

...totally agree!

I remember playing RE 2 on my bro's PSone where you had a disc for Claire's game and a disc for Leon's game.

I thought it was really clever for its time the way that when you played Leon's disc, you sometimes interacted with Claire's mission and then when you had finished the Leon mission and swapped the disc to play Claire's mission, you would see where that interaction was.

Brilliant....!!

But yea - definitely some scary moments in that game. The numerous black and white checked corridor floors, dimly lit rooms and creatures which would burst through windows without ANY warning - plenty of 'jump out your pants' moments...!!!!!:D:D
  • NickVaughanNickVaughan Posts: 4,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 was my first, never got round to playing the original 3 growing up. One of the things I liked about 4 was how damn tense it was at times, same with the original 3, but that seemed lost with the more recent entries in the series which is a shame.

And yes, I too was terrified of the pouncing pooches, though dogs in games do unnerve me in general, hoping spending time with the adorable Chop in GTA V will remedy this. And DON'T get me started on the giant snake in one of the Spin-offs, bloody hell. Best thing about this series? How it taps into my own personal fears. Improves the experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think there's only ever been two scary resident evil games 3 and the remake of RE 1. The others had some great atmosphere and jump scares but I never really felt scared playing them.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one definitely was, at the time. I don't think you can go back to it now and expect it to be scary as we're too used to similar effect with much better graphics.

The game created a great atmosphere which I hadn't experienced before; you can't replicate that now.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 96, when RE: 1 came out on the PS1, it was groundbreaking, atmospheric, and had great gameplay, (for the time) tension, longevity and a brill story..........with some truly oh F*CK" moments....

which was only bettered by RE: 2........

This in turn led to other great survival horror games, Silent Hill, the awareness that led to a re release of Alone in the Dark, Dino Crisis, etc

then on to Eternal Darkness, Condemned, Silent Hill 4 (The Room) Miasmata.(PC)

Kinda played RE:3 Nemesis a little, but it felt a different genre, and then

Loved Code Veronica on the Dreamcast too

Thinking back, the PS1, was the best console I recall for having game which were brilliant..MGS1, Res Evil, F1, GT, PES, Dino Crisis, Syphon Filter etc

I even loved that future cop helicopter game....G-Police.

Cracking console.....
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the 1st one being scary, i remember the bloke in the big coat, gets dropped from the chopper in that big tube, and as yer walking along, he just busts through the wall, made me shat that bit, nearly jumped through the ceiling! :p
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The only one I ever found remotely scary was REmake on GameCube. Though RE3 with Nemesis played on Hard was pretty atmospheric at points just because of the whole random generation thing. That was cool.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    RE1 and 2, was scary because it kind of had that atmospheric element of mystery, simple storytelling and tension, which is helped by the slower pacing mechanics of the games. You didn’t know what kind of evil lurked in such a corner!!! It was helped by some absolute class soundtrack composing.

You really can’t recreate this feeling in the current generation. Just goes to show that as technology advances, you do actually lose something as well........
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    RE1 and 2, was scary because it kind of had that atmospheric element of mystery, simple storytelling and tension, which is helped by the slower pacing mechanics of the games. You didn’t know what kind of evil lurked in such a corner!!! It was helped by some absolute class soundtrack composing.

You really can’t recreate this feeling in the current generation. Just goes to show that as technology advances, you do actually lose something as well........

You've not played Condemned: Criminal Origins then?
    Forum Member
    You've not played Condemned: Criminal Origins then?

...man - that game was SERIOUSLY creepy!!!!

What with all them mannequins running about in that dis-used department store - I was actually scared playing this at night time - gave me the creeps!!!!
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »

I think it was mainly helped by the camera and pre rendered backgrounds. It added a lot of atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    I think it was mainly helped by the camera and pre rendered backgrounds. It added a lot of atmosphere.

I actually really miss the per-rendered backgrounds and camera angles it really maximised the creepiness in some locations.
    Forum Member
    I think also the cut scenes of the door creakily opening, whenever you entered/exited a room helped build up the tension and atmosphere as to what was lurking behind it!!
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hated RE4 personally. Didn't like the new direction one bit, didn't (and still doesn't) feel like Resident Evil.

The scariest game in the franchise without question is the REmake on the Gamecube. THAT'S the direction they should have taken it. Everything about that was top notch. The lighting, atmosphere and sound effects were creepy throughout. Lisa Trevor was also an excellent addition.

Still hanging on to a tiny thread of hope of seeing RE2 + 3 remade the same way.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Hated RE4 personally. Didn't like the new direction one bit, didn't (and still doesn't) feel like Resident Evil.

The scariest game in the franchise without question is the REmake on the Gamecube. THAT'S the direction they should have taken it. Everything about that was top notch. The lighting, atmosphere and sound effects were creepy throughout. Lisa Trevor was also an excellent addition.

Still hanging on to a tiny thread of hope of seeing RE2 + 3 remade the same way.

interested to know what you think of REZERO??
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I think also the cut scenes of the door creakily opening, whenever you entered/exited a room helped build up the tension and atmosphere as to what was lurking behind it!!

It did but cmon you seriously could t expect them to keep that up in this day and age it was just a very clever way of hiding the load screen