Very strange sound problem with Mum's TV

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
I just went to see my Mum and she is quite upset because her new Samsung LCD UE32f5000 TV has picture but no sound.It was working fine yesterday and all last week.

I ran the self test diagnosis and the tv produced sound. However when I hooked it up to her Virgin media box and her DVD player both gave no sound.
I reset all audio to factory settings and rebooted the TV - same issue.
I checked all audio settings on the VM box and they are all fine.

I swapped the cables over - same thing
I turned all power to everything off for 20 minutes and turned back on - same thing.
I took her DVD player home with me and hooked it up to my TV and it works.
I took that same DVD player and cable back, hooked it up to her TV and got no sound

I'm very confused - does anyone have any other ideas please?
Cheers

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the TV hooked up to an aerial? If so does the internal tuner produce audio?

And I assume you have checked the obvious that the audio has not been permanently muted in the set-up menus? :)

It is not unusual for there to be a way to kill the speakers when the TV is being used with an external sound system. There may also be a mute button on the remote though not sure that would survive a power cycle but you never know.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, thanks for replying.

Nope, the TV is fed from the VM cable only for it's TV signal.
    Yep, the audio is set to TV speakers in the setup menus as there is no external sound system.
    I pressed mute and saw the mute button and when pressed it again it disappeared.

I'm going to take an old freeview box around later to try that.

It is very confusing as she says all she has done differently recently is to turn the TV off at the wall each night instead of leaving it on standby,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the various bits hooked up? ie via HDMI or SCART or a mix of the two. If using HDMI double check the settings on the VM box and DVD to make sure they are sending LPCM to the TV over HDMI.

Have you tried a set of headphones with the TV? The specs on the Samsung website suggests there is a headphone socket.

Also check the Auto Volume mode. I'm intrigued by the online manual that claims night mode makes almost no noise! It also says the volume control might not work with night mode.

Oh and the online manual says there is a Sound Reset option. If you haven't already done so, give that a go.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    My mum turned her TV off for 24 hours and now it has sound again.
    She went to Currys yesterday and the people there told her it was her own fault as she should never switch an LCD TV off of Standby - ie she should never switch it off.

I personally find that ludicrous - what about when she goes on holiday?
    Unfortunately however she says she is going to do exactly as advised and not turn it off standby again.
    Why do some retailers give such crud advice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi
    My mum turned her TV off for 24 hours and now it has sound again.
    She went to Currys yesterday and the people there told her it was her own fault as she should never switch an LCD TV off of Standby - ie she should never switch it off.

I personally find that ludicrous - what about when she goes on holiday?
    Unfortunately however she says she is going to do exactly as advised and not turn it off standby again.
    Why do some retailers give such crud advice?
    Hope you told her never to repeat that mistake ever again :D You'd get more sense if you ask a 3yr old to explain Quantum Physics than ask a Currys sales muppet about even how a toaster works.

I guess the idiot sales person does not understand that as far as the main bulk of the electronics in the telly is concerned there is absolutely NO difference between stand-by and fully off.

As unfortunately your mum may discover if there is some inherent fault with her telly causing this problem. If it does re-appear one wonders what Currys will come out with this time!
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the picture but no sound problem on my Virgin Media box before, and I resolved the problem by going into the sound and picture setting and disabling HDMI audio override.