Last Cut Of Grass?

When is the time to give the grass the last cut? I cut our grass about 3 weeks ago and I think it has stopped growing, its only about 3" high or so, will it grow much more? In the summer I had to cut every week, it grew about 3-4" per week

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually round about the end of October or beginning of November. The temperature is the crucial factor, and I am surprised your grass has not grown much given how warm it has been. In mild winters, grass often continues to grow, albeit at a slower rate, and some keen gardeners say you should continue to mow throughout the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    We have a guy who cuts our grass every other week (if I relied on my OH we'd be living in a small but inhabited jungle). He'll usually knock the door & tell us when hes stopping for the winter & he hasnt done that as yet. Last cut he did was 18th September so I'm assuming he'll do it again next week & then stop for the winter...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Usually round about the end of October or beginning of November. The temperature is the crucial factor, and I am surprised your grass has not grown much given how warm it has been. In mild winters, grass often continues to grow, albeit at a slower rate, and some keen gardeners say you should continue to mow throughout the year.

Its not really been that warm here, About 15 by day and as low as 2 by night over the past week
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here in south-west Scotland I expect to be cutting the grass for a few weeks more, and our climate must be pretty similar to that of Northern Ireland. My grass is certainly still growing. I'd agree with Spot that the likely finish date is the end of October or the beginning of November depending on the weather. I usually stop when the ground gets too soggy with the autumn rains.

In his book The New Lawn Expert, Dr D.G. Hessayon says, "Regular mowing comes to an end during October," but adds of November, "If the weather is 'open' (neither frosty nor wet) and the surface is firm, mow once with the blades set high."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well cut it this morning and I hope that is it finished with for this year. It gives rain from this evening on for a day or 2 so hopefully it wont grow to much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my dad said he'd given our it's last cut last week,ours grows really fast though

AJxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    _the_don wrote: »
    Well cut it this morning and I hope that is it finished with for this year. It gives rain from this evening on for a day or 2 so hopefully it wont grow to much

It's not even October, grass will be growing for a month or so yet. These days anyway the winters are so mild in most places it's probably worth giving it a trim once a month or something throughout the winter, so you don't get that nightmare first cut in the spring where the grass is too long.
  • SWMBOSWMBO Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    We have a man who cuts our grass for us every other week.

He said he is coming again this Wednesday (1st October) and then that will be it until next year.
  • mystery girlmystery girl Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last cut for grass and bushes is October.
    Don't remind me, mine still needs doing...:eek:

MG.xx:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We cut our grass last weekend but I'd imagine it'll need doing one last time before the winter, probably in October at some point.

I was out in the garden last night and I can see that it's already grown a bit.
  • upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I had done mine for the last time a couple of weeks ago, but it needs doing again now.
    Will hopefully get chance tomorrow if it is not too wet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Grass will continue to grow as long as the temperature remains above 7 degrees Celsius/45 fahrenheit......the number of hours of daylight will also influence the rate growth.So even though the winters are getting warmer and the average temperature may exceed 7C, the reduction in daylight during the winter months means the grass will grow more slowly.......but the grass will only stop growing when the temperature fall below 7C.
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our grass gets it's last cut when the heating gets switched on for the winter ( usually about October time, although last year it was November:eek:) and then it's first cut again when the heating gets switched off ( about March-ish).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineast wrote: »
    ( about March-ish).

Mmmm that smell of the first cut of the spring, one of those sensations that makes life so delicious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    So warm in Cornwall in wintertime that my grass never stopped growing when I lived there - needed cutting every fortnight, otherwise resembled a jungle.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So warm in Cornwall in wintertime that my grass never stopped growing when I lived there - needed cutting every fortnight, otherwise resembled a jungle.
    I find that here in Scotland my grass grows over the winter too, so that even if I've cut it at the end of October or in early November it looks very shaggy by the time February comes. However, the ground is usually too wet and soggy at that time of year to allow me to use my fairly heavy four-wheel rotary mower.

Curious that some on this thread are thinking that they've finished cutting their grass for this year, while my neighbours have spent all weekend trying to get the ground ready for sowing grass seed!