TV aerial `splitter`?

Was wondering if there`s such a device as a `splitter` that can make one aerial lead divide into two, enabling the use of a long aerial extension lead to another set? And if so, is it likely to adversely affect the quality of the picture on the TV screens?

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    There are hundreds of them, like this Aerial splitter.
    if you have a good signal you won't see much deterioration. To be sure you can buy a signal booster with two or three outlets, like these.....Signal Boosters.
    You can get them from your local supermarket if you don't want to buy on line....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    an old fashioned Y splitter will split the signal to 33 / 33 % to two feeds rather than 50 / 50 as you would imagine

a Y splitter should be held in your hand like a wee man. The head is input and the two legs are the outputs

a powered one is preferable as already expressed , however I would say they are really called distrubution amps rather than signal boosters , but its horses for courses. Get one like this one with a bypass built in for future proofing or sending sky round the house and controlling it from another room. It aint dear

http://www.amazon.co.uk/27820BM-Aerial-Amplifier-Digital-Pass/dp/B0009D5W0Q/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Many thanks,guys; I thought there must be something todo the job, but haven`t seen one in any of the places I`ve looked so far. I note that one purchaser thought the Y type splitter was useless as it lost the picture on one tV completely and the other TV`s picture was poor. I suppose the signal booster device would sort that problem out.
    Forum Member
    Pop into your local supermarket....Tesco and Asda sell them.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I receive digital channels from 2 main transmitters (Wales & England) and therefore have 2 loft aerials each aimed at a transmitter. When digital TV came along, I no longer needed to use a switch to go from one transmitter to the other. I purchased a 3 way splitter/combiner from Asda for about £3. (You will also need the plugs to fit into the sockets - one of which is different to the others male/female).

I get perfect pictures including the HD channels.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Pop into your local supermarket....Tesco and Asda sell them.

Bad advice, they sell the plastic unscreened cheap rubbish ones.

A proper metal screened design will be way better.

eg

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=1398996
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Thanks again, men.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a loft aerial which is shared with a TV, PVR plus Laptop & PC with tuners.
    I've tried various splitter/boosters and they've all been rubbish to the extent of the signal actually being worse with them connected.
    However I found a SLX at Amazon and it is really excellent.
    Forum Member

eg

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=1398996

In your opinion.....If you had one and it didn't work I hope you took it back, If you didn't have one........:)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before getting a distribution amp definitely try a simple Y splitter first. It may well be enough and is much cheaper and simpler (no power needed), if it doesn't work well then you haven't lost much by trying.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your opinion.....If you had one and it didn't work I hope you took it back, If you didn't have one........:)
    grahamlthompson is right.

Splitting close to the TV (and hence far way from the aerial) is never a good idea, but folk do it because it's convenient. Chucking in an unscreened plastic splitter isn't going to help; and for the cost difference of literally pennies it's a false economy too. The cost of a screened splitter isn't going to break the bank LINK . So there's really no need to buy junk, is there?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    an old fashioned Y splitter will split the signal to 33 / 33 % to two feeds rather than 50 / 50 as you would imagine

How so, wouldn't it be around 3.5db loss from each output?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    How so, wouldn't it be around 3.5db loss from each output?

it will only be 3.5dB from a good quality screened splitter, usually in a sealed metal container with screw on f connectors..
    Cheap plastic y splitters are very inefficient.
    Forum Member
    grahamlthompson is right.

Splitting close to the TV (and hence far way from the aerial) is never a good idea, but folk do it because it's convenient. Chucking in an unscreened plastic splitter isn't going to help; and for the cost difference of literally pennies it's a false economy too. The cost of a screened splitter isn't going to break the bank LINK . So there's really no need to buy junk, is there?

Nice to see he has a fanboy!! :)
    The link you gave is not talking about the same product! Neither did GT's as it happens....Still nice to see you were all paying attention...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The link you gave is not talking about the same product! Neither did GT's as it happens....Still nice to see you were all paying attention...;)

How did you get so rude :eek:

Cheap DIY chain unscreened crap

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/tv-satellite-communication/tv-satellite/leads___connectors/Philex-TV-FM-Coax-Splitter-9686555

Quality screened design

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=1398996&source=aw&cm_mmc=AffiliateWindow-_-DeepLink-_-Na-_-Na
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    it will only be 3.5dB from a good quality screened splitter, usually in a sealed metal container with screw on f connectors..
    Cheap plastic y splitters are very inefficient.

Screening in no affects efficiency, cheap plastic Y splitters are generally just as good as more expensive metal ones, and many plastic ones are actually screened under the plastic anyway.

A more expensive 'obviously' screened one 'may' be better, in the one in a few thousand cases where there's some local interference that the screening 'may' help reduce.

But in the VAST majority of cases they will perform equally as well as each other.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well now, where to begin...
    grahamlthompson's information was sound. Agreeing with that doesn't make one a fan boy, just a sensible person. I take it you disagree? ;)

The link I gave was in response to a specific post (#10) and provided some valid justification based on price and quality. That's called a rational argument where I come from. But I guess you have a different view?

Finally, "as it happens" my link referred to a product on the same page from your very first link. I think the phase "hoisted with his own petard" applies.

I know what you're thinking now. You're itching to type that you were talking about the amplified splitters - hence your comment "Neither did GT's as it happens" - but that overlooks your dismissal of glt's point and the beginning of another facet of the discussion. Do try to keep up ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screening in no affects efficiency, cheap plastic Y splitters are generally just as good as more expensive metal ones, and many plastic ones are actually screened under the plastic anyway.

A more expensive 'obviously' screened one 'may' be better, in the one in a few thousand cases where there's some local interference that the screening 'may' help reduce.

But in the VAST majority of cases they will perform equally as well as each other.

Try putting one anywhere near a hdmi lead. I took one apart once it had a few components roughly soldered together (no circuit board to mount them on) and a tiny square of aluminium was so the so called screening. Complete junk.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    Try putting one anywhere near a hdmi lead. I took one apart once it had a few components roughly soldered together (no circuit board to mount them on) and a tiny square of aluminium was so the so called screening. Complete junk.

So you've found ONE junk Y splitter :D

Most of the Y splitters I've seen use full metal casings with two plastic halves clipped over them.

Perhaps you should buy better HDMI leads if they are radiating interference :p
    Forum Member
    grahamlthompson's information was sound. Agreeing with that doesn't make one a fan boy, just a sensible person. I take it you disagree? ;)

The link I gave was in response to a specific post (#10) and provided some valid justification based on price and quality. That's called a rational argument where I come from. But I guess you have a different view?

Finally, "as it happens" my link referred to a product on the same page from your very first link. I think the phase "hoisted with his own petard" applies.

I know what you're thinking now. You're itching to type that you were talking about the amplified splitters - hence your comment "Neither did GT's as it happens" - but that overlooks your dismissal of glt's point and the beginning of another facet of the discussion. Do try to keep up ;):D
    Perhaps that will teach you to read the whole thread. GT's point was dismissed because, like yours, it was off piste.
    If you two wish to waffle on about the merits of splitters then fine. I don't agree or disagree with the points you make on them. However, that is not what I was referring to as well you know, but, I suppose you are locked into this petty argument for the duration now.
    (Catching up yet?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you've found ONE junk Y splitter :D

Most of the Y splitters I've seen use full metal casings with two plastic halves clipped over them.

Perhaps you should buy better HDMI leads if they are radiating interference :p

Without dismantling the thing how would you know if it's junk :eek: or not. The difference in price for a metal one is so small that it's seems just stupid to not buy the better quality item.

The metal one you get a spec, what do you get with a plastic one - zilch.

eg

A range of high performance splitters specifically, for use with digital satellite and digital terrestrial UHF TV distribution systems, with minimal insertion loss, high return loss and isolation.
    Operating frequency 5-1000MHz
    75Ω F type connectors
    Ground terminals
    Zinc die cast housing
    Die-cast fully screened alloy housing to EN50083-2
    Earth bond provision
    ‘F' type RF connectors
    Fixing screws included
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

eg

I believe the OP was referring to the signal boosters that call100 linked too in post #2 - call100 was
    informing the OP that they could get one from their local supermarket, Tesco/Asda.

Agree it was a rude remark by call100 - tut-tut

Apologies if I have spoken out of turn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I believe the OP was referring to the signal boosters that call100 linked too in post #2 - call100 was
    informing the OP that they could get one from their local supermarket, Tesco/Asda.

Agree it was a rude remark by call100 - tut-tut

Apologies if I have spoken out of turn.

The one star completely useless review kind of says it all. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Aerial-Splitter-Televison-Y-Splitter/sim/B001KWF2EG/2
    Forum Member
    Without dismantling the thing how would you know if it's junk :eek: or not. The difference in price for a metal one is so small that it's seems just stupid to not buy the better quality item.

The metal one you get a spec, what do you get with a plastic one - zilch.

eg

A range of high performance splitters specifically, for use with digital satellite and digital terrestrial UHF TV distribution systems, with minimal insertion loss, high return loss and isolation.
    Operating frequency 5-1000MHz
    75Ω F type connectors
    Ground terminals
    Zinc die cast housing
    Die-cast fully screened alloy housing to EN50083-2
    Earth bond provision
    ‘F' type RF connectors
    Fixing screws included

Comparing the two items linked to the metal screened version is actually cheaper than the plastic non screened version from B&Q. :D
    Forum Member
    The one star completely useless review kind of says it all. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Aerial-Splitter-Televison-Y-Splitter/sim/B001KWF2EG/2
    That's the splitter though.

The boosters are rated much higher.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/aerial%20signal%20booster/products?tag=5336653544-21