All BBC channels crashing my Wharfedale!

DeadManDeadMan Posts: 531
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a Wharfedale DV832BN Freeview box and from today I cannot get any BBC channels for more than a couple of seconds before the picture goes blank, the audio goes garbled and then the box reboots. All other non-BBC channels are working perfectly. I am in the Crystal Palace line of view. The box has rebooted before at random intervals but not sure if it was always when viewing BBC channels or not.

I have rerun the first time installation and switched it off at the mains for a bit but it did not help. The firmware is showing version 3.6

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine too. A Tevion.

It is caused by the interactive red button.
    Subtitles turns it off and has made a temp fix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I've got the same problem with my ancient Tevion PVR 801 (ex beta test machine if there are any of the other testers out there).

Subtitles has got it working for now - thanks Alan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here - and subtitles fixes it as well
  • crazymanccrazymanc Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    yep same here just swiched over to watch esatenders lol and picture goes off sounds stays for couple of secons then my box reboots thats on BBC1 BBC2 AND BBC THREE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. I'll try the subtitle button. :)
  • DeadManDeadMan Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switching subtitles on does not fix it for me. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do recall that some boxes do let you turn off interactivity via the settings menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I do recall that some boxes do let you turn off interactivity via the settings menu.

Not on mine it doesn't. I cannot believe this. Freeview has to be the biggest cockup ever made and looking at Freesat it isn't much better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    All BBC channels have suddenly started causing my Nichimem 1622 PVR (purchased as a reconditioned item from Maplins a couple of months ago) to reboot repetitively as described in other postings. Turning subtitles on fixes it for now but hopefully this is not a permanent feature.

What has changed to cause this? It was OK the night before last.

Whom do we notify officially that there is this problem? To whom do we complain?

Thanks

Paul
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeadMan wrote: »
    Not on mine it doesn't. I cannot believe this. Freeview has to be the biggest cockup ever made and looking at Freesat it isn't much better!

Bit of luck they will fix it very very soon.

However an ongoing changeover to a dual EPG stream has already made/making a million plus boxes worthless.

Could this be a 2nd scheme to boost industry!!!!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    It's the same as you guys describe for me here in South West Leicestershire.

I think I am looking at the Sutton tx mast.

Where are the rest of you?

Glad this is not an F1 weekend.

Dave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Its crashing my TV set... Hannspree 32"

Picture goes off - sound stays on. TV stops responding to remote or buttons on the set - all I can do is turn off at mains then as soon as i turn back on it crashes!

On Bilsdale transmitter!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    My digihome is doing the same thing. I did notice yesterday when doing a rescan that the BBC channels appeared in a different order than before,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is as common a problem as it seems then a fix from the BBC should hopefully be forthcoming. Otherwise they are a bunch of cowboys. Well they are anyhow. Bloody ridiculous!
    Forum Member
    Just spoke to BBC on 03700 100 222. They are aware of a problem and insist that engineers are looking at it now.

She would not say how long they would take and I forgot to ask when they 1st became aware of a problem.
    Forum Member
    I was just about to call them myself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    seems to be ok now
    Forum Member
    Mine seems to be fixed! We shall see..
    Forum Member
    Mine is fine now as well :)
    Forum Member
    Mine is OK now too but this kind of glitch is surely not good enough. We, on Rowridge transmitter, are having a complete re-allocation of frequencies on 25 March (next Wednesday). Tonights problem does not fill me with confidence!

Paul
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spoke to BBC on 03700 100 222. They are aware of a problem and insist that engineers are looking at it now.

She would not say how long they would take and I forgot to ask when they 1st became aware of a problem.

Well that's good to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fixed. Phew!
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem will be a crappy MHEG engine in some boxes, which suddenly crashes when the BBC change something in one of the interactive applications on their channels. It's happened with other boxes in the past, and will probably happen again.

It's not so much the BBC's fault, as that of the box manufacturers who use unreliable MHEG engines - even if the engine can't process the interactive service, it really shouldn't crash the whole box. The BBC has a test right, with lots of equipment, so they can check things like this - but with so many cheap bits of tat on the market, of dubious provenance, there probably are some models that they don't have in their test rig - and they obviously can't test on every single firmware version of every box ever made.

As well as speaking to the BBC, it's worth pestering the maker or distributor of your boxes, and asking if they have made sure the BBC have their models available to test, and make sure these things don't happen.
    Forum Member
    Hi Nwhitfield

I take your point about the manufacturers liaising with the BBC, but there seems to be a problem with standards here.

Surely box manufacturers and the BBC are all adhering to some minimum specs?

Supposing the electricity companies suddenly decided to change the voltage/frequency of the mains supply! OK, so that is a bit simplistic but, as a consumer with only a limited knowledge of digital transmission, it should not be up to me to rectify shortcomings in television transmissions!

There seemed to be enough of us complaining last night on this forum for it not to be a problem of limited scope. I am guessing that there are a fairly small number of generic versions of firmware. I expect the Beeb to test on the cheaper models as well as the expensive ones.

I did mail a complaint via the BBC website. I'll be interested to see if I get a reply and what they say.

Best wishes

Paul
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there are specs - and the BBC adhere to them, and the box manufacturer's try. But MHEG isn't a simple system. It's a bit like web browsers - you can write something that you think is according to the standard, but then a particular web browser (like Internet Explorer) decides to do something different.

That's not the fault of the person who wrote the web page, is it? If they know about it, they can alter their web page to cope with broken browsers. In the case of the MHEG on some set top boxes, unfortunately some of the engines are so badly written that rather than failing gracefully, they die and take the whole box down with them - a little like a web browser not only unexpectedly quitting, but crashing Windows too.