The Silence of the Lambs

zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
Forum Member
I watched this again for the first time in like 15 years and I really loved it and understood it much more than I did the first time around (being alot older and knowledgable helps)

Anyway I researched and saw there was a prequel "Red Dragon" & a sequel "Hannibal" & was wondering if anyone has seen them and if they are worth watching as I really don't want to bother if they are dismal in comparison to the SOTL which imo was phenomenal.

I know Jodie Foster is replaced by Julianne Moore as Clarice in Hannibal & I don't mind her.

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    zummigummi wrote: »
    I watched this again for the first time in like 15 years and I really loved it and understood it much more than I did the first time around (being alot older and knowledgable helps)

Anyway I researched and saw there was a prequel "Red Dragon" & a sequel "Hannibal" & was wondering if anyone has seen them and if they are worth watching as I really don't want to bother if they are dismal in comparison to the SOTL which imo was phenomenal.

I know Jodie Foster is replaced by Julianne Moore as Clarice in Hannibal & I don't mind her.

I've only seen Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and the brilliant Michael Mann film from 1986 - Manhunter (which had a subtitle - or alternative name of 'Red Dragon' - not to be confused with the 2002 film Red Dragon with Anthony Hopkins).

If you haven't seen the 1986 film Manhunter - you really should. I'm sure you'd come away from it thinking what a much better film than SOTL was. I did like SOTL - but hugely due to the fabulous performance from Jodie Foster. I found myself giggling whenever Anthony Hopkins was on screen - a bit too much of a panto villain for me (having said that I've loved almost everything else Hopkins has done). Brian Cox makes a much more believable Lecter and Tom Noonan as Frances Dollarhyde is brilliant. Good performances also from William Petersen as the FBI agent and there is a truly suspenseful lead up to and terrifying scene with Noonan and Stephen Lang as the reporter. Try and watch Manhunter if you can.

IMO Hannibal was just a load of tosh!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Red Dragon is the only other film in the series worth watching.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Thanx for the feedback :)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Silence of The Lambs was a classic and was very innovative of it's time, but I when Seven was released five years later I forgot about The Silence of The Lambs. I just think Seven was a more powerful film. It was the same affect as watching Pulp Fiction before Reservoir Dogs. In spite of the fact you should perceive each film individually, you just end up comparing them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannibal was atrocious. Jodie Foster WAS Clarice, and casting another actress was not bright. If she didn't do it, the whole movie should have been scrapped.
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Hannibal was atrocious. Jodie Foster WAS Clarice, and casting another actress was not bright. If she didn't do it, the whole movie should have been scrapped.

It was dreadful wasn't it?
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget the films and read the books instead - I read Red Dragon years before the films were made and found the films, apart from SOTL a let down. The books will disturb you - seriously.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The Silence of The Lambs was a classic and was very innovative of its time

Very innovative? How so?
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Hannibal was good. Not great, but not bad, certainly the bottom of the pile in the series though, but still worth a watch for sure.

Red Dragon is certainly a must watch, always found it tough to separate from SOTL in terms of which one I liked more. SOTL is obviously a classic and outstanding movie, but Red Dragon really was a cracking movie IMO. Wheelchair scene is still bloody glorious too :D

Give both a watch mate. Red Dragon most importantly.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in a minority, I thought Hannibal was excellent and still do. Yes it lacks Jodie Foster but you can't deny the suspense build up that leads to Pazzi's death.
    For me, Red Dragon is the dud.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manhunter (Michael Mann's 1986 adaptation of Red Dragon) is certainly a better film than Brett Ratner's Red Dragon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Hannibal - worst of the series? I don't think so, Hannibal Rising has to be the worst. Manhunter definitely the best.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From reading the books, I always thought Ralph Fiennes was hideously miscast in red dragon. He was (and this could just be my interpretation of it) meant to be huge (in a muscly way) and Ralph just wasnt. Its mentioned a few times in the film that he is supposed to have an amazing physique and he just didnt.
    SOTL was the only good film IMO. The brain eating scene in Hannibal was just silly, whereas in the book i didnt mind it.
    I still think that Hannibal isnt written by Thomas Harris though, as its written in a completely different style and tone to the other books
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannibal......atrocious

Manhunter..........absolutely brilliant. In fact preferred it to Silence of The Lambs.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Anyway I researched and saw there was a prequel "Red Dragon" & a sequel "Hannibal"
    There is also a fourth film called Hannibal Rising, which is about his childhood and how he acquired his unusual interests. I found it OK but nothing special. Don't go out of your way to see it.

The book of Red Dragon was written before the book (and film) of Silence of the Lambs.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The Hannibal novel is very good and any film of it is likely to be a disappointment. It is, however, written very much like a film script. I vividly remember reading the opening scene (the drugs bust that goes wrong) and was immediately struck by how cinematic it was.

Nevertheless, the fim is not bad. The juxtaposition between the beauty of the Florentine architecture and the opera etc and the primeval savagery of Lecter is effective and Giancarlo Gianini turns in a fantastic performance as Inpector Pazzi.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Hannibal and I believe it's a very good thriller.
    The initial issue people have is no Jodie Foster, which is fair enough to a certain extent but is it really that difficult to accept a different actress? It never damages Bond or Doctor Who so why Clarice Starling?
    Also I believe people just want Silence of the Lambs 2 and Hannibal just isn't that. It's a totally different type of thriller. It's called Hannibal for a reason - that's who it is about. This film allows to see how Hannibal Lecter lives his "normal free life" whilst being pursued by Clarice. If you want more cross-dressing serial killers and dungeon style hospitals you're not going to find them.

People moan and moan about sequels being "it's just the same as the first one", yet here we have a film that expands on the story and takes it in a natural direction and people call it atrocious.

I wonder the people who bemoan it have actually seen it since its initial release 10 years ago when it got crushed by the hype of it being Silence of the Lambs 2.

Silence of the Lambs is an undeniable classic which was never really going to be equaled or bettered, that's fact.
    Watch Hannibal with an open mind, don't allow yourself to start making pointless comparisons and you'll see a well directed, taut thriller that is a satisfactory continuation of the Hannibal Lecter mythology.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Manhunter before SOTL, and always preferred it.

And to make the comparison about whose version of Lector is best, I always think of it this way...when is the last time you saw someone doing an impression of Brian Cox' Lector for comic effect?
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I love Hannibal and I believe it's a very good thriller.
    The initial issue people have is no Jodie Foster, which is fair enough to a certain extent but is it really that difficult to accept a different actress?
    I actually had no problem with Julianne Moore - for me she was probably the saving grace in an otherwise unremarkable film. I just didn't think the film was that good.

As for SOTL - as good as it was - for me Michael Mann's Manhunter was far superior with Brian Cox a truly believable Hannibal Lecter (and a whole cast that gave excellent performances - not one weak link).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I saw Manhunter before SOTL, and always preferred it.

And to make the comparison about whose version of Lector is best, I always think of it this way...when is the last time you saw someone doing an impression of Brian Cox' Lector for comic effect?

I think a lot of people are not even aware that Anthony Hopkins isn't the original Hannibal. To me, the better Lecter is an example of the original not always being the best. Hopkins is Lecter. People mimic him because it's such a memorable performance.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually had no problem with Julianne Moore - for me she was probably the saving grace in an otherwise unremarkable film. I just didn't think the film was that good.

As for SOTL - as good as it was - for me Michael Mann's Manhunter was far superior with Brian Cox a truly believable Hannibal Lecter (and a whole cast that gave excellent performances - not one weak link).

Agreed that Mahunter is superior, though I still like SOTL.

The only thing that dates Manhunter is the 80's Miami Vice sheen to it, but then Mann had not long finished his involement with the tv series, so that's understandable.

But you are also right about the cast...Petersen was never better, except maybe in To Live and Die In LA. The great Dennis Farina, Stephen Lang (his scene strapped in the wheelchair is mesmerising and terrifying), Tom Noonan, an overpowering presence ('You owe me awe!), and Joan Allen in an early role (The scene with the live tiger is just one of many brilliant moments that this movie is just filled with).
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people are not even aware that Anthony Hopkins isn't the original Hannibal. To me, the better Lecter is an example of the original not always being the best. Hopkins is Lecter. People mimic him because it's such a memorable performance.
    Just because a performance is more memorable doesn't necessarily make it the better performance. A performance can be memorable for varying reasons. I remember Hopkins' Lecter for the funny bits (I'm sorry - but the French & Saunders sketch illustrated just how panto-like the original performance was). I'm glad Hopkins got his Oscar as it was long overdue re earlier films of his - for example the truly excellent 'Magic'. But for me - his portrayal of Lecter in SOTL was so OTT that I can only remember it for making me giggle.
    Forum Member
    But you are also right about the cast...Petersen was never better, except maybe in To Live and Die In LA. The great Dennis Farina, Stephen Lang (his scene strapped in the wheelchair is mesmerising and terrifying), Tom Noonan, an overpowering presence ('You owe me awe!), and Joan Allen in an early role (The scene with the live tiger is just one of many brilliant moments that this movie is just filled with).
    The Stephen Lang scene was terrifying - when Dollarhyde is showing him the slide show and the constant 'you see' but I agree I think its wonderful that in a horror/thriller film - the most memorable for me was the truly BEAUTIFUL scene with the tiger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Just because a performance is more memorable doesn't necessarily make it the better performance. A performance can be memorable for varying reasons. I remember Hopkins' Lecter for the funny bits (I'm sorry - but the French & Saunders sketch illustrated just how panto-like the original performance was). I'm glad Hopkins got his Oscar as it was long overdue re earlier films of his - for example the truly excellent 'Magic'. But for me - his portrayal of Lecter in SOTL was so OTT that I can only remember it for making me giggle.

It might just be because I like OTT villains, but it was one of my favourite performances of Anthony's. I'm not belittling Brian Cox when I say this. I think he's a brilliant actor. I just prefer Hopkins' potrayal of the character. Have you ever seen Nostalgia Critic's video comparing Manhunter to Red Dragan? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOh-5nmVVoU. I agree with a lot of what he says, but I prefer Norton's version of Will Graham.

The French and Saunders sketch always makes me laugh:D
    Forum Member
    It might just be because I like OTT villains.
    I like panto villains - in the right film - I just didn't think that a panto villain had any place in a story as grim as SOTL.

For me my favourite panto villain is Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham in RH:POT!