The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem for me is and im sure lots of others is i have allready booked my hobbit tickets in my case odeon southampton imax 3d so if odeon anonce 48fps i dont know if i will have to pay any more has anyone got any ideas

no you wont theyve already said it will be no extra charge,but i suspect IMAX wont be in 48fps anyway
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    at one point i thought they said there would be imax 3d 48fps did they backtrack on that then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at one point i thought they said there would be imax 3d 48fps did they backtrack on that then

all ive seen so far is ads for 3D HFR and none for IMAX 3D HFR,but as the whole thing is still up in the air here in the UK,i suspect we wont know for sure for a little while yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMAX themselves seem to have outed that they will be showing The Hobbit in 48fps 3D at ODEON Printworks Manchester and also Cineworld IMAX Nottingham

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-will-be-shown-in-high-frame-rate-3d-in-select-imax-theatres/

saying that on Facebook a representative for ODEON said

"We cant confirm where or which cinemas this will be at i'm afraid. Please watch this space for an announcement.

Thanks"
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no you wont theyve already said it will be no extra charge,but i suspect IMAX wont be in 48fps anyway

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Certainly plenty of the screens that have been announced showing the 48fps version in the US are IMAX, so I can't see why it won't be any different over here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMAX themselves seem to have outed that they will be showing The Hobbit in 48fps 3D at ODEON Printworks Manchester and also Cineworld IMAX Nottingham

Even though the Nottingham IMAX isn't due to open until the new year. And I struggle to beleive they're the only UK IMAX screens showing it, I'd hope the BFI IMAX in Waterloo is, seeing as it's basically the UK's flagship IMAX.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Even though the Nottingham IMAX isn't due to open until the new year. And I struggle to beleive they're the only UK IMAX screens showing it, I'd hope the BFI IMAX in Waterloo is, seeing as it's basically the UK's flagship IMAX.

Cineworld themselves have said on facebook that the Nottingham and Dublin IMAX screens will be open on the 13th December ready for the Hobbit

but they have also said that some cinemas will be showing it in HFR

https://www.facebook.com/cineworld/posts/553015224725241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cineworld themselves have said on facebook that the Nottingham and Dublin IMAX screens will be open on the 13th December ready for the Hobbit

but they have also said that some cinemas will be showing it in HFR

https://www.facebook.com/cineworld/posts/553015224725241

Can't see that link as it wants me to sign in and I don't have a Facebook account.

Though at least it means at the very worst, I'll only have to go to Nottingham to see the 48fps version, though hopefully the Mansfield ODEON is showing it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see that link as it wants me to sign in and I don't have a Facebook account.

Though at least it means at the very worst, I'll only have to go to Nottingham to see the 48fps version, though hopefully the Mansfield ODEON is showing it too.

it replies to a person's question about the IMAX link i posted before and it says

"Hi Mark - not confirmed just yet. Nottingham & Dublin have IMAX screens opening 13th Dec :-)"

im hoping that the ODEON Manchester is showing it either that or one of the local Cineworld's(Bolton or Leigh),dont fancy travelling all the way to Liverpool but i will if i have to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly, I notice the website for Omnimax (an Irish theatre chain has foth 2D and 3D versions of 48FPSD listed: http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/comingsoon/

I wonder if maybe HFR 2D is being released outside of the US? I hope it is in the UK, because I'd much rather see it in 2D than 3D, but I want to see what the 48fps looks like. Plus showing it in 2D 48fps should hoepfully make it more avilable, as 48FPS in 2D at 2K resolution has always been part of the DCI standard, so any digital projector out there should be able to show it, which isn't the case for HFR 3D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Niel Finn's end credits song; Song of the Lonely Moutain.

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/neilfinn.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Full soundtrack available

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757

Howard Shore does it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe they still haven't announced the 48fps screenings in the UK, with only a month to go. The US screenings have been out for a week or so, and we get the film a day before them, and tickets were on sale here a good couple of weeks before the US too. People booking tickets will want to know what sort of screening they're buying a ticket for. What's keeping them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they still haven't announced the 48fps screenings in the UK, with only a month to go. The US screenings have been out for a week or so, and we get the film a day before them. People booking tickets will want to know what sort of screening they're buying a ticket for. What's keeping them?

according to Vue they have been trying to get copies for all of their cinemas(they all must be 48fps capable),as for Odeon and Cineworld i can only guess they are also trying to get hold of 48fps copies too

i think Warners may have boo booed on this one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think Warners may have boo booed on this one

Well, it's clear from what I've been reading on the internet over the past few weeks, the demand and antcipation for 48fps is there. I think WB have made a mistake by paying too much attention to what was said at Cinemacon (after all they were the sort of people who, if they'd had their way down the decades, we'd still be making silent, black & white films) and holding it back. I think WB might be starting to see that now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just saw this on the Sheffield Cineworld Twitter when someone asked about whether they would be showing The Hobbit in 48fps:
    @D_Whittaker Still to be confirmed...but we have had 5 of our units upgraded to be able to ;)

The winky face gives me hope, and surely they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of upgrading the screens if they weren't going to utilize it, so fingers crossed. Hopefully one of the 5 units is the IMAX screen since i've already booked my tickets for the first IMAX showing on the 13th:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    and surely they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of upgrading the screens if they weren't going to utilize it, so fingers crossed.

I don't know, I've read about some cinemas in America who have gone to the extent of upgrading their projectors, only for Warner Brothers to turn round and say they'll only be giving them the 24fps version.

Although I do find this whole thing quite silly if they have made up their opinion based on the whole Cinemacon thing. Doubly so as most of the negativity seemed to originate from Devin Faraci's Badass Digest article- which almost means they've been swayed by the opinions of one person, who strikes me as being the sort who'd already decided they hated 48fps before they'd even seen it anyway.
    Forum Member
    Although I do find this whole thing quite silly if they have made up their opinion based on the whole Cinemacon thing. Doubly so as most of the negativity spanned from Devin Faraci's Badass Digest article- which almost means they've been swayed by the opinions of one person, who strikes me as being the sort who'd already decided they hated 48fps before they'd even seen it anyway.

Yeah i agree, i bet that if Warner Bros. actually did a survey of some sort they would find that there's quite a lot of interest from people who are interested in seeing what 48fps is like, it would potentially even increase the interest in the film in the way that 3D did for Avatar. From a personal perspective i can't wait to see it in 48fps, it's about time that cinema moved on from an outdated standard that was introduced over 80 years ago. I'm sure it'll look strange at first, but i bet 24fps looked strange to people when it was first introduced.

It's not like they're ONLY releasing the 48fps version, there's the 24fps version too, so the people like Devin Faraci who are unwilling to accept change can still stick with their dear old 24fps...and let's not forget that the CinemaCon footage was very rough footage that hadn't been through the post production process, so WB would be foolish to guage the interest based on the negative reaction to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    it's about time that cinema moved on from an outdated standard that was introduced over 80 years ago.

I'd like to say the same about television too. After all, TV's had the advantage of higher frame rates for decades, yet TV producers insist on sticking a film look on everything these days. I always hang my head when a TV show which didn't previously use the film look starts using it, to me it's like a step backwards. I hope the introduction of HFR in cinema spells the end of "film look" on television too.

And, to be honest, even in television, the 24fps mentality doesn't make sense either. In the US they seem to shoot most of their shows in 24p, even though they broadcast in 60i, meaning they have to use the dreadful 3:2 pulldown, and even the technique many programmes use in the US to filmise 60i material cuts it down to 24, rather than removing every other field to get it to 30. When using film I guess it made sense, due to the fact film's expensive enough at 24fps, never mind 30, but surely with HD video it's beyond negligible, and 30p still has a "film look" (you really have to look close to see the difference from 24/25p), but no 3:2 pulldown judder. It just seems there's a mentality around 24fps due to nothing other than the fact it's how it's "always been done", and its use continues despite its defiance of logic.
    Forum Member
    Another update from Cineworld:
    @cineworld

IMAX have officially announced our 48fps performances of The Hobbit will be at Dublin & Nottingham IMAX screens. Only these locations afaik

Hopefully Sheffield will be added to that list...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like they actually know anything, they're just repeating what's already out there. It seems as if the whole situation's a complete lack of information from Warner Brothers, and the cinema chains are as clueless as the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read yesterday that it's quite likely a lot of people will come out of screenings of the film, moaning about how bad the 48fps looked- compeltely unaware they just saw a 24fps screening. And I believe it- as I said earlier I've seen plenty of people saying how "cheap" and "soap opera" the trailers look, even though they're all 24fps and look like a normal film. There's been so much talking down of 48fps that a lot of people are genuinely believing it, and are seeing what they've been told even when it's not there. It's a shame there's been such a campaign against this from people who are resistant to change.
    Forum Member
    I read yesterday that it's quite likely a lot of people will come out of screenings of the film, moaning about how bad the 48fps looked- compeltely unaware they just saw a 24fps screening. And I believe it- as I said earlier I've seen plenty of people saying how "cheap" and "soap opera" the trailers look, even though they're all 24fps and look like a normal film. There's been so much talking down of 48fps that a lot of people are genuinely believing it, and are seeing what they've been told even when it's not there. It's a shame there's been such a campaign against this from people who clearly want to resist change.

I actually overheard someone say something like that when the trailer played before Skyfall in IMAX the other week...If i hear any ignorant self reighteous sheep saying something like that in a 24fps screening i'll more than likely have a go at them:o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just sent an email to Warners to ask about their plans for HFR 3D in the UK,i probably wont get a response but at least ive tried to get an answer