Region A Blu Ray Discs Where From?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Where can i purchase region A american blu ray discs from (not amazon) i used to use play usa but they have finished

Comments

• mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    HDMI wrote: »
    Where can i purchase region A american blu ray discs from (not amazon) i used to use play usa but they have finished

Why do you want region A discs when you player will probably be region B? To answer your question sorry but Amazon.com maketplace is probably your best bet!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As mentioned, don't buy any Region A discs unless you know that your player can play them.

There are places that sell American/Canadian discs that are known to actually be region free rather than Region A.

I used BluBastard a few months ago to buy the American version of The Avengers (due to Disney UK censoring the Region B here):

http://www.blubastard.com/

I used to regularly use Movietyme for region free US/CAN discs:

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Ebay I have bought some US imports on here to.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My player is multiregion A and B blu ray thanks for the advice
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    HDMI wrote: »
    My player is multiregion A and B blu ray thanks for the advice

These days a lot of Blu ray discs are region free!
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i know but there are many that are locked to region A
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I have being using Amazon.com for the last 13 years for Region 1 and Region A discs, unfortunately somethings changed and I now get hit for tax everytime so get hit for that and the post office £8 charge as well.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason I got a Toshiba player I could hack is for Criterion Blu-rays - all region locked
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I have being using Amazon.com for the last 13 years for Region 1 and Region A discs, unfortunately somethings changed and I now get hit for tax everytime so get hit for that and the post office £8 charge as well.

All goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.
    Anything over that amount is liable to be charged
    See here
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&propertyType=document&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014#P20_1785

Any carrier be it Royal Mail/DHL etc. will charge an amount for the collection of the fees due.

You've either been very lucky in the past or regulations have been tightened
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    As mentioned, don't buy any Region A discs unless you know that your player can play them.

There are places that sell American/Canadian discs that are known to actually be region free rather than Region A.

I used BluBastard a few months ago to buy the American version of The Avengers (due to Disney UK censoring the Region B here):

http://www.blubastard.com/

I used to regularly use Movietyme for region free US/CAN discs:

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/

Do you recommend that blu bastard company? It's not a joke that I'm failing to see or anything?
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    You've either been very lucky in the past or regulations have been tightened

I'm aware you are supposed to pay tax on incoming goods but pretty much everything in the post got through without charge in the past, my other discs from Japan still get through charge free.

I think they might be targeting Amazon as they catch on to how much money they lose in tax and since Amazon won't pay their tax either.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Do you recommend that blu bastard company? It's not a joke that I'm failing to see or anything?

They could make the site 100 times more credible if they just fixed that dire logo. It looks like it's been Photoshopped from the original Blu-Ray logo- but very, *very* badly- then saved as a low-quality JPG (colour-fringing and artifacts ahoy) and scaled up from in the browser (soft edges). Both things any remotely competent web designer knows to avoid.

I know they're not pretending to be Amazon or anything, but that's the one bit you want to get right. :eek:
    Forum Member
    But they are legit though?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they are legit though?

Yes, they're legit. Someone in the Movies forum recommended them back when the Avengers BD came out.
    Forum Member
    Nice one, cheers.