The Mindy Project (UK Pace on E4)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
I actually really enjoyed the first episode. I find Mindy's voice a bit annoying though.:o Anyone else watch this? What did you think of it?

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched about half of it & thought it was awful:o

BUT humour is very subjective so if you enjoyed it that's cool - just wasn't my cup of tea.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets much better - at least it did for me. I've seen 17 episodes so far (in the US) and it's not perfect by any means. But it does improve over time. The first few episodes you can see that they're not quite sure what they want to do - particularly with the characters. Eventually it finds its footing but it's still a work in progress. It has already been renewed for a 2nd season in the US.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Never heard of Mindy Kaling but i found her really likeable and enjoyed her banter with her co-stars, especially the 2 male doctors. Have no idea where the season is going to go or what's going to happen but after watching the pilot i'm going to continue watching. Did find the whole her wanting a rom-com life quite funny and sad at the same time! Lol. Loved the Hugh Grant line! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Never heard of Mindy Kaling but i found her really likeable and enjoyed her banter with her co-stars, especially the 2 male doctors. Have no idea where the season is going to go or what's going to happen but after watching the pilot i'm going to continue watching. Did find the whole her wanting a rom-com life quite funny and sad at the same time! Lol. Loved the Hugh Grant line! :D

Mindy Kaling is from the US Office.

I didn't like this, but then it's effectively a televised romcom, and I'm not a huge fan of them...
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I already like Mindy as I'm a fan of the The Office, so I was halfway there I enjoyed the first episode, it has a certain charm, or maybe it's her. I not keen on the fast talking and slickness but that goes for most american sitcoms these days, apart from The Office and Parks and Recreation.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like this, but then it's effectively a televised romcom, and I'm not a huge fan of them...
    It seemed to me to be just like "Whitney" in style. A self-obsessed woman writes about her fantasy life. I found Whitney to be annoying and this was, too - for the same reason.

It is never a good sign when a person names a show after themself and stars in it. At the very least it demonstrates a lamentable lack of imagination.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, will definitely watch the next couple of episodes at least
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Loved this, watched this and New Girl back to back and in my opinion this blows New Girl out of the water.

Mindy is great fun, I like the horrible doctor who is great and her drunken speech made me laugh out loud. Really enjoying this!
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dreadful and that was the pilot?! :eek:
    won't be watching it again
    New Girl season 2 is much better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I was aware of Mindy before seeing ads for it so I was looking forward to this. Was a bit disappointed by the pilot, maybe it's just not for me. If the only plotline is Mindy trying to find a husband then I probably won't stick with it. I'll give the second episode a chance before deciding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I've just watched up to Episode 4 (Halloween episode) and it does get a lot better. Her voice doesn't seem to annoy me as much as it did in the pilot episode :D
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    dreadful and that was the pilot?! :eek:
    won't be watching it again
    New Girl season 2 is much better

One episode and you already passed judgment? :rolleyes:
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    One episode and you already passed judgment? :rolleyes:

so many similar shows not enough time to watch them all
    Mindy Proj was in danger of not being renewed in US due to poor ratings until Ben & Kate was cancelled ;)
  • bramley29bramley29 Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I like Parks and Recreation. I really like Mindy in the Office. But this was dull and unfunny. And they made her character a hospital doctor! Not just someone down-to-earth. What a waste.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a bit of this, the most significant impression on me, was the size of her rear end.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's blindingly obvious she's going to end up with the non-British male doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    boab34 wrote: »
    so many similar shows not enough time to watch them all
    Mindy Proj was in danger of not being renewed in US due to poor ratings until Ben & Kate was cancelled ;)

Second that, not even applying my "two episode rule"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    2nd episode much better. Sticking with it for longer.
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was disappointed at the first episode. I really loved Mindy in The Office and the episodes she wrote are really some of the best ones. The pilot seems to try too hard but the series does get better. It's really very good, I wouldn't give up so easily. I did that with Parks & Recreation, I didn't really like the whole first season but now it's one of my favourites.
  • Sarah_LockettSarah_Lockett Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I agree about her voice. There is a type of nasal, female New York voice that's reeeeally unattractive! And (as in the US version of Little Britain, where Matt Lucas had to slow down his delivery of Vicky Pollard) she must talk more s-l-o-w-l-y!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the 2nd episode i now love this show! I think it's great and love Mindy. The banter between Mindy and her colleagues, in particular Danny, is proper hilarious! :D I actually LOL'd at some scenes. There are some brilliant one-liners in this show.

Mindy: I'm sorry, Danny, she's a million years old. Let her enjoy her birthday.
    Danny: Believe me Mindy, you'll find other opportunities to eat cake! :D

The scene at the start of the episode on the train, the scene where she was interviewing for a new nurse and the interviewee admitted she quoted from Sleepless in Seattle and started discussing You've Got Mail, the scenes where both Mindy and Danny were interviewing potential nurses and when Mindy got punched on the nose were particular highlights. I'm officially in for the rest of the season! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    is no one watching this? It's become really rather good now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do! :)

I LOVE it! Not only is it one of my best new shows of 2013, it's my best new comedy of 2013.

I think the show is brilliant, it's the only show that makes me proper LOL every week! :D New Girl i find amusing and makes me chuckle, 2 Broke Girls this season has been weak and has had the odd proper LOL, The Bitch In Apartment 23 is too marmite for me, but The Mindy Project makes me LOL consistently week after week. Fab show. Imo Mindy Kaling is a genius! She's smart, witty and likeable and also very funny. I also love the supporting characters too who are equally likeable. The banter between everyone is a particular highlight, it's what makes the show for me. Morgan for example last night was great! :D

The show has come on leaps and bounds from the pilot episode and improved greatly over the season so far. So yeah i'm a fan :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    that's it- wasn't too sure at first..but now it's really very good. I'm very impressed she writes it too and her comedic timing is great. Same with the other characters. " broke girls is not very sharp comedy at all. New Girl can be very funny. Happy Endings is pretentious and tries too hard to be clever.
  • 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I've been watching it from the start and I'm quite impressed. I really dislike New Girl and Happy Endings but this it good. She does talk a bit too fast though.

2 Broke Girls is sometimes funny but mainly comes from the shouting school of comedy, the louder it is the funnier they think it is...it doesn't usually work that way...and a few episodes have been dire.