Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't so good last night .

he doesn't seem to do so much of the deconstructing how awful the tv news shows are made anymore .
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Really? That programme's been going for over three years. Any piss-take is long overdue to be of any use.

What 'use' is a piss take of a program exactly?
    Where's the time cutoff when taking the piss out of program is no longer of any use?
    The only 'use' IMO is to be funny, I found it amusing, job done.

Oh, I've never liked Shitpeas, zone out when he's on, just find it hardwork for some reason, Cunk doesn't rub me up the wrong way, but could do without her.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'll use Mum's accident to flog some f***ing yoghurt!"

Love it! :D

Glad to see I'm not the only one who despises the selling angle of that advert.:D
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's any part of the show that's the laziest, it's that one.

It's a case of: "Hey! Let's fill five minutes reading opinions from Twitter and Yahoo!" :rolleyes:

I can see why you'd say its "lazy", but I think it's both funny and worthwhile. Highlighting the sort of brainless/xenophobic/Daily Mail-reading shite that infects pretty much every part of the internet (and indeed seems to proliferate only BECAUSE of the internet) never gets old.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't so good last night .

he doesn't seem to do so much of the deconstructing how awful the tv news shows are made anymore .

You're right. Now you've come to mention it that's what's definitely missing.
    I remember how on his wipe shows he'd take apart a TV genre or trope piece by piece and demonstrate how it fits together with a parody.
    One of his pieces at one time was the most liked clip on youtube. It probably isn't now as it was about two years ago.
    Or alternatively he's reconstruct a media job role in a similarly humourous manner.

You're right. This is what's missing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I can see why you'd say its "lazy", but I think it's both funny and worthwhile. Highlighting the sort of brainless/xenophobic/Daily Mail-reading shite that infects pretty much every part of the internet (and indeed seems to proliferate only BECAUSE of the internet) never gets old.

But the comments he's choosing seem rather mild, relatively speaking, when you think of the material out there that's ripe for picking such as on the youtube comments.

Even here on DS there's some really snooker loopy stuff, but for some reason the comments he picks from around the internet are quite normal and average in comparison.
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the best bit of this weeks prog. - where he takes the piss out of rubbish on TV - was the omission of Sarah Millican. It was advertised that she'd be featuring (and why not ?:rolleyes:) but, thankfully this unfunny, fat munter did not show. Irony? Or was she working on her tits/fanny/paht-nah/Wiyah 'jokes'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best boy wrote: »
    Surely the best bit of this weeks prog. - where he takes the piss out of rubbish on TV - was the omission of Sarah Millican. It was advertised that she'd be featuring (and why not ?:rolleyes:) but, thankfully this unfunny, fat munter did not show. Irony? Or was she working on her tits/fanny/paht-nah/Wiyah 'jokes'?

If Millican and Miranda Hart could be isolated to one hour of Saturday primetime a week for both of their shows, I'd send the BBC schedule programmers a dozen roses.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horse Meat, Dating Shows, bits off the internet, talk about "easy" targets.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It lacked Doug Stanhope this week, that's why other segments seemed too long.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the comments he's choosing seem rather mild, relatively speaking, when you think of the material out there that's ripe for picking such as on the youtube comments.

Even here on DS there's some really snooker loopy stuff, but for some reason the comments he picks from around the internet are quite normal and average in comparison.

thing is - he made his name by making ascerbic comments on the internet about people on tv , but now he seems to be taking the line that the internet is full of idiots , well thats true , but there's also a lot of funny , witty stuff , he could broadcast some of those , but doesn't .

the stuff he picks is just a bit dumb , it's not even really dumb. .
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember how on his wipe shows he'd take apart a TV genre or trope piece by piece and demonstrate how it fits together with a parody.

That's because he's done all that already.
    One of his pieces at one time was the most liked clip on youtube. It probably isn't now as it was about two years ago.

Given how it's a BBC programme, they've probably thrown a copyright claim at it :(
    What 'use' is a piss take of a program exactly?
    Where's the time cutoff when taking the piss out of program is no longer of any use?

You need to do it when the show is new and fresh, not when it's several series and several years old. By now, any piss-takes have been done already.
    solarflare wrote: »

You've just actually pointed out WHY it's lazy and not funny.
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Lost its edge for me.....

Originality has gone !

Deconstructing commentators making stupid comments was best bit !

Shitpeas is utter shite as is the girl !

Real shame caught end of last series and thought it was brilliant, but it has just run out of steam.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If there's any part of the show that's the laziest, it's that one.

It's a case of: "Hey! Let's fill five minutes reading opinions from Twitter and Yahoo!" :rolleyes:
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    The 'let's all laugh at the clueless punters' segment reading out interweb comments always makes me feel a little uncomfortable....I know they could be said to be fair game by effectively broadcasting their words to the world, and for someone like Brooker it really is fish in a barrel time and presumably means he can knock off a 2 minute section of the weekly grind in, well two minutes, but it just feels a little mean spirited.
    It can be effective if handled correctly.
    Adam Buxton's Bug and specifically his guest hosting of Buzzcocks showed how you can get humour out of Youtube comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headancer wrote: »
    Lost its edge for me.....

Originality has gone !

Deconstructing commentators making stupid comments was best bit !

Shitpeas is utter shite as is the girl !

Real shame caught end of last series and thought it was brilliant, but it has just run out of steam.

Precisely. And just as it's crossed over to BBC2, as well.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Adam Buxton's Bug and specifically his guest hosting of Buzzcocks showed how you can get humour out of Youtube comments.

I'll have a look next time he hosts. I bailed on Buzzcocks soon after Amstell did. It's crap with guest hosts.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shedseven wrote: »
    Really enjoyed last nights show. Cunk 'out-Shitpeased' Shitpeas for the first time for me. Laugh out loud funny. Brooker at his agitated and narky best - another good half hour of tv that stands out from the hours of utter bollocks that somehow gets airtime.

Completely agree. Shitpeas needs to up his game. Cunk rules.(especially her sweatshirt).:D
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bug was a fantastic show I hope it's back soon. Adam Buxton is a genius. BYE (furious hand wave):D
  • SnapeyDSSnapeyDS Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    CBWW was not as good this week but he had a go at Paddy McGuiness which will always get a thumbs up from me. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    You're right. Now you've come to mention it that's what's definitely missing.
    Or alternatively he's reconstruct a media job role in a similarly humourous manner.

You're right. This is what's missing.

Taking apart the week's news reporting was always the most valuable and actually scary part of Screenwipe. It is missing a bit so far this series.

However, I imagine wading through hundreds of hours of news is not only tedious but incredibly depressing. Like others have said, there's a lot easier and lighter targets and I kind of don't blame him for easing up once in a while.

Adam Buxton is the master at reading out YouTube comments. I've not seen it done better than here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx-WBaSNrTQ

The problem is, 99% of comments on YouTube or the Daily Mail online are badly-spelled hate. Everyone already knows this. I do think it's worth a dig as a new part of our culture. But once you've made that point the first week, how do you keep it fresh?
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raadsel wrote: »
    Adam Buxton is the master at reading out YouTube comments. I've not seen it done better than here:

The problem is, 99% of comments on YouTube or the Daily Mail online are badly-spelled hate. Everyone already knows this. I do think it's worth a dig as a new part of our culture. But once you've made that point the first week, how do you keep it fresh?

Very funny clip:D

I agree, I think I'd feel less negative if CB used the the comments he appropriates in order to make some pertinent points about the state of modern discourse and how the new media allows us all to put the world in the back of our personal taxi whilst we transmit every flickering thought and opinion as it beetles through our brains, not just to point at Lolgag678 and enjoin us all to laugh at their silly and ignorant opinions, that's just cheap, lazy and redundant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking apart the week's news reporting was always the most valuable and actually scary part of Screenwipe. It is missing a bit so far this series.

However, I imagine wading through hundreds of hours of news is not only tedious but incredibly depressing.
    Like others have said, there's a lot easier and lighter targets and I kind of don't blame him for easing up once in a while.

It wasn't just the news though. I remember great features where he deconstructed 'Mission' documentaries, Reality television, house based and Boardroom based.
    Plus he did a great feature on the life of somebody trying to work their way up in television.
    I also remember a piece he did where he described how much his own show cost.

These are only a handful of examples, and all made very good television.
    It wasn't all about 'targets' a lot of it was actually quite informative and they worked as little short films in their own right.
    There is so much to still explore, still television formats which haven't been covered yet.

Yes he could do 'light' because it might be easier. But therein lies the reason why this series is lacking for some.
    If it bores him to create these segments, or if he's too busy, I think I'd prefer him to put the series on hiatus and just do a series when he feels energized and fresh and wants to do it. It would probably be worthwhile because I don't see the point of him doing a series in which he just churns the easy stuff out, because it kind of undermines the name of the 'wipe' series.
    He does the light entertainment bit on other shows. With the 'wipe' shows I hope for his more razor sharp cutting analysis which doesn't necessarily care about mainstream tastes.

That may be the problem...that he's on BBC 2 now.
    Let's face it he's probably very busy as well what with him writing other non-wipe material for other shows such as Black Mirror.

I'm not slagging him off or anything, because although this series is arguably under par compared to his usual wipe series, it's still quite an entertaining show to watch which still has some great moments and is better than a lot of comedy out there.

I also agree with you about the youtube stuff as well. It feels like he's stating the obvious to some extent. The dopey comments he reads out seem par for the course and don't seem to be dumb enough or batshit crazy enough for them to stand out as anything other than the norm on the internet.
    The type of comments he reads out appear to be quite bland and not too different to the sort of dumb comments most people make from time to time when having an off day.

Just watched the Adam Buxton link. Now that's more like it.:D
    I would have thought that Charlie Brooker would have treated it more like that, or treated it in a similar if not exactly the same vein. Go for genuinely funny comments that the poster doesn't seem to be aware of how funny they actually are.
    Charlie just seems to come across as bitter that somebody posted a comment in anger which he didn't like. He doesn't really do much with it other than be sarcastic about it.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the time has come that anyone who claims something isn't original or is no longer original or, even worse, is likened to something akin to having jumped the shark should be given a stark choice:

(a) either come up with something original themselves

or

(b) is put up in front of a firing squad in a pay-per-view event, with the proceeds paid to a charity chosen by artist whose originality is questioned.

This way people can no no longer moan about something they haven't got the wit, talent or drive to create themselves.

And anyone who doesn't agree with me can just GO AWAY.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, I imagine wading through hundreds of hours of news is not only tedious but incredibly depressing. Like others have said, there's a lot easier and lighter targets and I kind of don't blame him for easing up once in a while.

I do. In addition to himself, he has a team looking at footage from many sources, and this is the first new full 'wipe' series of some form for a while, so more thought should've gone into it.

Ta for the link. That was good stuff. I am sucking on my own balls while watching that ;)
    It wasn't just the news though. I remember great features where he deconstructed 'Mission' documentaries, Reality television, house based and Boardroom based.
    Plus he did a great feature on the life of somebody trying to work their way up in television.
    I also remember a piece he did where he described how much his own show cost.

Trouble is, he's done all this, so trying to come up with something new isn't easy, and if he can't do it, then is it worth making a half-arsed job?
    That may be the problem...that he's on BBC 2 now.

His annual wipes have been on BBC2 for a while also, but they're mostly good, although the last one went off the boil a bit.
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I think the time has come that anyone who claims something isn't original or is no longer original or, even worse, is likened to something akin to having jumped the shark should be given a stark choice:

There's some good stuff out there. I make mash-ups and some people like them, but in trying to get them seen by lots of people, it's not easy on Youtube unless you're a vaguely attractive teenage girl, according to the later segments of some episodes of Rudetube, and I'm none of those aspects.

That said, one of my mash-ups did feature on Rudetube so I must do something right occasionally.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

or

(b) is put up in front of a firing squad in a pay-per-view event, with the proceeds paid to a charity chosen by artist whose originality is questioned.

This way people can no no longer moan about something they haven't got the wit, talent or drive to create themselves.

And anyone who doesn't agree with me can just GO AWAY.

You are Charlie Brooker and I claim my five pounds.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do. In addition to himself, he has a team looking at footage from many sources, and this is the first new full 'wipe' series of some form for a while, so more thought should've gone into it.

Ta for the link. That was good stuff. I am sucking on my own balls while watching that ;)

Trouble is, he's done all this, so trying to come up with something new isn't easy, and if he can't do it, then is it worth making a half-arsed job?

His annual wipes have been on BBC2 for a while also, but they're mostly good, although the last one went off the boil a bit.

There's some good stuff out there. I make mash-ups and some people like them, but in trying to get them seen by lots of people, it's not easy on Youtube unless you're a vaguely attractive teenage girl, according to the later segments of some episodes of Rudetube, and I'm none of those aspects.

That said, one of my mash-ups did feature on Rudetube so I must do something right occasionally.

Hey, can I watch your youtube mashups?
    What's your youtube channel name?
    You can message me the link details if you're not comfortable letting everybody know.

:)