Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Is Odyseuss going to be a woman? Is Caesar going to be in it?
    I presume "Caeser being in it" refers to the "Xena Warrior Princess" version of Greek Myths.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I presume "Caeser being in it" refers to the "Xena Warrior Princess" version of Greek Myths.
    Everybody was in Xena. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Everybody was in Xena. :D

Thankfully fantasy shows have improved dramatically since Xena :eek: :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    Thankfully fantasy shows have improved dramatically since Xena :eek: :D

Aw, Xena was great and there have been worse fantasy shows than that.
  • BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be good I talked to someone who Is going to film this (cinema photography(sp?))
    He also filmed most of Merlin :):):)
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Aw, Xena was great and there have been worse fantasy shows than that.
    Xena was fantasy? :eek:
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »

It was a fantasy for quite a few people, Mike ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With enough writing skill, ATLANTIS could be a spin off or prequel to MERLIN or at least a crossover.

Already been done. :) Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taliesin-Pendragon-Cycle-Stephen-Lawhead/dp/0745913091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361298250&sr=8-1

Apologies to anyone else who's already said this. Be interesting to see if there are any influences from those books though I don't recall a Jason. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L.B. wrote: »
    Talking of casting, I’ve been watching World Without End and thought Tom Weston-Jones was excellent. I think he’d make a good addition to the Atlantis cast.

Was that the bod who played Myrddin? Oddly enough I always pictured someone like Eddie Redmayne even before I knew he existed. Tom was a little too "pretty" for me which is unfair as he really can't help the way he looks. But I can see him in a short white skirt...;)
    Forum Member
    Shute wrote: »
    Was that the bod who played Myrddin? Oddly enough I always pictured someone like Eddie Redmayne even before I knew he existed. Tom was a little too "pretty" for me which is unfair as he really can't help the way he looks. But I can see him in a short white skirt...;)

He might be perfect for Jason then.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already been done. :) Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taliesin-Pendragon-Cycle-Stephen-Lawhead/dp/0745913091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361298250&sr=8-1

Apologies to anyone else who's already said this. Be interesting to see if there are any influences from those books though I don't recall a Jason. :D

Yeah I mentioned it earlier and nope, still no Jason in that either!
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nah, it was a docudrama. As Illustrated in 'You Are There'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was on yet again last night for anyone interested in a more historical perspective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sl29f/Timewatch_Atlantis_The_Evidence/

I don't expect we'll get much in the way of accuracy if Merlin is anything to go by though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was on yet again last night for anyone interested in a more historical perspective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sl29f/Timewatch_Atlantis_The_Evidence/

I don't expect we'll get much in the way of accuracy if Merlin is anything to go by though. :)

I saw that when it originally aired, it's a fascinating programme and comes up with some really interesting ideas. Bettany Hughes is a great presenter too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    When you Capps and Murphy be announcing the cast? Has anyone heard any rumors about it?
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    When you Capps and Murphy be announcing the cast? Has anyone heard any rumors about it?

Probably pretty soon as filming starts within a couple of months :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    rickywal wrote: »

Thanks! :) (Just wanted to ask if anyone remembers when the cast of Merlin was announced.)

Whether you liked the ending or not, in terms of production values Merlin was a triumph - excellent photography, epic music, remarkable sets and costumes - probably the best I've ever seen on british television.
    Production has improved tremendously during its five years and the creators have become much more confident which can hopefully transform into their new show.
    I think Atlantis will have a stronger start than Merlin had, simply because the producers and the whole crew must have a huge experience by now.

Looks like Game of Throne's Sam McCurdy and Merlin's Dale McCready can be director of photography, Molotnikov and Alice Troughton probably directs the opening episodes and my two favourite Merlin writers, Overman and Julian Jones are on board.

I'm sure Atlantis will inherit some of the Merlin fans and most of Merlin's Saturday night viewers. Maybe the novelty of the show can attract new viewers too, so it has every chance to become a great success, but a lot depends on the cast of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    GBali wrote: »
    Thanks! :) (Just wanted to ask if anyone remembers when the cast of Merlin was announced.)

Merlin cast no. But from what I can tell BBC doesnt announce anything until production has started. That was what they did with a few of their newer shows like escape artist etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    BBC doesnt announce anything until production has started.

A couple more weeks then. Filming starts in April, but they'll be in intensive preproduction during March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GBali wrote: »
    Whether you liked the ending or not, in terms of production values Merlin was a triumph - excellent photography, epic music, remarkable sets and costumes - probably the best I've ever seen on british television.
    Production has improved tremendously during its five years and the creators have become much more confident which can hopefully transform into their new show.
    I think Atlantis will have a stronger start than Merlin had, simply because the producers and the whole crew must have a huge experience by now.

Looks like Game of Throne's Sam McCurdy and Merlin's Dale McCready can be director of photography, Molotnikov and Alice Troughton probably directs the opening episodes and my two favourite Merlin writers, Overman and Julian Jones are on board.

Couldn't agree more, no matter what the outcome of the final episode, Merlin has always had incredible production values and the cinematography and music has been first rate since Episode One. As I hear they're using pretty much the exact same crew as worked on Merlin, I expect we're going to see a visually stunning Atlantis as well and I, for one, am looking forward to it immensely.

I'm almost as big a Greek myth geek as I am an Arthurian one :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given who he is playing I'm guessing every famous greek person from History as well as all the myths will turn up at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Given who he is playing I'm guessing every famous greek person from History as well as all the myths will turn up at some point.

Looks like it doesn't it :)
    Forum Member

Nice start.
    Forum Member
    Just realised - if this is a success for Overman, then Misfits days could be numbered as well.