How to add an image to a website

smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a website I keep updated through a basically awful interface. There is an option to insert an image, but instead of letting me browse to an image on my computer, it asks me for the image url. My images aren't on a url. How can I do this?

Comments

• DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upload your image online somewhere so that it has a URL. Weird that the website editor doesn't let you upload them yourself.

Photobucket is good and free. Once you've made an account, upload an image and you can retrieve its URL. Paste that into your website editor.
  • smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upload your image online somewhere so that it has a URL. Weird that the website editor doesn't let you upload them yourself.

Photobucket is good and free. Once you've made an account, upload an image and you can retrieve its URL. Paste that into your website editor.

So when people view the photo, they won't need a Photobucket account of anything? If so, I'll give that a go, thank you.

The website editor is the most awful piece of cack software I have ever used in my life.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when people view the photo, they won't need a Photobucket account of anything? If so, I'll give that a go, thank you.

The website editor is the most awful piece of cack software I have ever used in my life.

Nope, they won't need an account.

I recommended Photobucket as it has an account system and you can store many photos and organise them etc. Not sure if it matters whether you set your album to private or not (it's not private by default, so you can leave it at that).

If you're just uploading the odd random photo, then http://postimage.org is pretty good also. Thing is with that site is I have no idea how long they stay uploaded for (edit - their FAQ says forever), and if you lose the link (which is randomly generated) then you lose the photo. Also, they're not a well known and established service like Photobucket.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using a third party image host can cause problems. They could go bust and your images disappear. Or some delete images if not used after a certain time. Look at old posts on some websites and you'll see red X where the images should be.

If you have website hosting you can host the images on there alongside your website. You need a FTP program, or your host will have their own, to upload them, just as you upload your website. You'll need to make sure the link includes the folder address if you put your images in one.

Make sure the images are the size you need, don't have a large images and use image size code to make it smaller, and compress them as much as you can without sacrificing quality, especially if you have lots of images on a page. Not everyone will be viewing via a high speed broadband line and you don't want visitors to have to wait ages for the images to load.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What software/CMS is it?